Hans Werner Henze conducting the BBC Phil around 1987 at BBC Studios, Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Hans Werner Henze conducting the BBC Phil around 1987 at BBC Studios, Manchester

Around 1987 (give a year or two either side) I used to attend broadcast concerts of BBC Philharmonic Orchestra at the BBC studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Oxford Road, Manchester. I seem to remember during this time Hans Werner Henze conducting the BBC Phil in a concert of his own works. I have lost my typed A4 programme sheet that they used to hand out. Does anyone know the date(s) and the works he conducted?
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    Around 1987 (give a year or two either side) I used to attend broadcast concerts of BBC Philharmonic Orchestra at the BBC studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Oxford Road, Manchester. I seem to remember during this time Hans Werner Henze conducting the BBC Phil in a concert of his own works. I have lost my typed A4 programme sheet that they used to hand out. Does anyone know the date(s) and the works he conducted?
    I suspect it was pre Sept 1987 as I arrived as a student in Manchester then and would almost certainly have gone to the concert. I certainly don't recall the listing. I remember some fine concerts in that series, a wonderful Sibelius 4 spoilt only by a loud audience sneeze in the final bars (echoed, after the applause had died away, by a Hary Janos-like mock-sneeze from the trombones), Odaline de la Martinez giving the premiere of John Pickard's Symphony No 2, and - uniquely in my experience - an all Reger concert (the Violin Concerto was interminable, I seem to recall).

The BBC Phil had quite a lot of composers conducting - Berio with the Labeque sisters at the Free Trade Hall, Oliver Knussen conducting Takemitsu, Robin Holloway and ?Percy Grainger. Audiences were often poor then, but the Studio 7 concerts were well-attended, as were the RNCM Friday lunchtime concerts.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

this page says that HWH directed a festival of his music in Manchester in 1998 which included a BBCPO concert, but you're not likely to be 11 years out

It is with great sadness that we record of the death of Hans Werner Henze on Saturday 27 October at the age of 86.
      Last edited by mercia; 01-05-14, 02:50.

Comment

• kuligin
        • Nov 2010

I remember a concert by the BBC Phil in Studio 7 of Henze's "Antifonie" and another work I can not now recall but I dont think HWH conducted.

I remember the RNCM festival very well, indeed I have the programme somewhere and heard Symphony 6 and the wonderful Requiem. HWH was there signing his biography at a book signing, but not conducting I think.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Two clues:

where there is a reference by the reviewer, "Central to his output are his ten symphonies composed between 1947 and 2000. In the mid-1980s I recall attending performances of several of Henze’s challenging yet fascinating symphonies and his Antifonie all played by the BBC Philharmonic. One concert was given under the composer’s own baton and the other was conducted by Elgar Howarth both held at the now demolished BBC Studio 7, New Broadcasting House in Manchester."

No reference, alas, to the works played but in

if you scroll down to March 3rd and 4th 1987, there is a reference to the 4th Symphony.

Comment

• secondfiddle
            • Nov 2011

Odaline de la Martinez giving the premiere of John Pickard's Symphony No 2, and - Oliver Knussen conducting Takemitsu, Robin Holloway and ?Percy Grainger. Audiences were often poor then, but the Studio 7 concerts were well-attended, as were the RNCM Friday lunchtime concerts.[/QUOTE]

As far as the years go, the Pickard was September 1989 and the Grainger with Knussen was November 1988 but broadcast February 1989, according to my tapes.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by secondfiddle View Post
              Odaline de la Martinez giving the premiere of John Pickard's Symphony No 2, and - Oliver Knussen conducting Takemitsu, Robin Holloway and ?Percy Grainger. Audiences were often poor then, but the Studio 7 concerts were well-attended, as were the RNCM Friday lunchtime concerts.
              As far as the years go, the Pickard was September 1989 and the Grainger with Knussen was November 1988 but broadcast February 1989, according to my tapes.[/QUOTE]

The Pickard was also a deferred broadcast, the actual concert was in March that year. Also included were pieces by Stephen Dodgson and Patrick Piggott (a Piano Concerto performed by Malcolm Binns, if I remember correctly).

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                I remember a concert by the BBC Phil in Studio 7 of Henze's "Antifonie" and another work I can not now recall but I dont think HWH conducted.

I remember the RNCM festival very well, indeed I have the programme somewhere and heard Symphony 6 and the wonderful Requiem. HWH was there signing his biography at a book signing, but not conducting I think.
                Hiya kuligin, I was at the BBC Phil in Studio 7 for the performance of Henze's Antifonie. The other work was the Seventh Symphony. I still have the gestetnered programme and was in 1987 and it Elgar Howarth conducting the BBC Phil.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  Two clues:

where there is a reference by the reviewer, "Central to his output are his ten symphonies composed between 1947 and 2000. In the mid-1980s I recall attending performances of several of Henze’s challenging yet fascinating symphonies and his Antifonie all played by the BBC Philharmonic. One concert was given under the composer’s own baton and the other was conducted by Elgar Howarth both held at the now demolished BBC Studio 7, New Broadcasting House in Manchester."

No reference, alas, to the works played but in

if you scroll down to March 3rd and 4th 1987, there is a reference to the 4th Symphony.
                  Hiya HighlandDougie,

That reviewer is me.

The other link to www.schott-music.com is indeed helpful.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

That Requiem that HWH wrote, I saw a rather good performance on YouTube, the other day.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                    X