• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Huge seat-swapping potential at Royal Festival Hall in London tonight

Daniil Trifonov, an award-winning young Russian pianist, is making his RFH debut andf there are hundreds of empty seatss., particularl;y in the balcony where you can pick up a seat for £10 and then swan down

Programme includes JS Bach, Beethoven piano sonata op. 111 and Liszt Transcendental studies.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/wha...ov-piano-81370
    you off to that Ams? Enjoy, if you are . sounds luvverlee.

I had a rather decent seat in the stalls at a good price at the DSCH Jurowsky concert last week.
    Top value !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• David-G
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Huge seat-swapping potential at Royal Festival Hall in London tonight

Daniil Trifonov, an award-winning young Russian pianist, is making his RFH debut andf there are hundreds of empty seatss., particularl;y in the balcony where you can pick up a seat for £10 and then swan down

Programme includes JS Bach, Beethoven piano sonata op. 111 and Liszt Transcendental studies.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/wha...ov-piano-81370
      Thanks for this. Trifonov is more than just "an award-winning pianist", he is simply wonderful. I have heard him several times in Edinburgh, including in this year's Festival in the Queens Hall. I now have a ticket for tonight!

Comment

• Zucchini
        • Nov 2010

Did you go Ams20000? I've heard him play Tch PC1 very refreshingly (I went to hear him despite the music), but not yet in recital.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
          Did you go Ams20000? I've heard him play Tch PC1 very refreshingly (I went to hear him despite the music), but not yet in recital.
          No I didn't because I'm a bit over-subscribed in the £ department at the moment (that was nicely put wasn't it?!? ) but I do wish I'd been able to go.Guardian, Telegraph & Arts Desk reviews have all been glowing. He dropped Beethoven piano sonata op.111 and substituted Rachmaninov Variations on a theme of Chopin instead apparently.

Comment

• Lento
            • Jan 2014

An allegedly persistent offender has apparently been banned from Vienna State Opera.

An audience member has been arrested at the Vienna State Opera for persistently sneaking into more expensive seats.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              Trifonov is more than just "an award-winning pianist", he is simply wonderful.
              I watched his recent recital in Carnegie Hall. I agree that he's exceptionally talented and is musically mature beyond his years, but I find his Lang-Lang-style emoting and swaying and crouching over the keys very off-putting.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lento View Post
                An allegedly persistent offender has apparently been banned from Vienna State Opera.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31160309
                Although there is a risk that this man's behaviour could spoil other people's enjoyment of the gig, I say well done!!

Hope a fighting fund is established to help him with his court case!!!!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  Although there is a risk that this man's behaviour could spoil other people's enjoyment of the gig, I say well done!!

Hope a fighting fund is established to help him with his court case!!!!
                  Not "well done" at all! It is theft - the same as someone not paying for their tube fare, or parking fee. No wonder they banned him. Sounds a bit of a git, quite frankly.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Not "well done" at all! It is theft - the same as someone not paying for their tube fare, or parking fee. No wonder they banned him. Sounds a bit of a git, quite frankly.
                    But surely this is a victimless crime?

Taking a vacant seat in the nice part of the theatre that a rich posh toff didn't want.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                      It's not at all the same - if someone evades their fare then they are depriving the company of the revenue it might expect from a traveller. In the case of moving to a more expensive, unoccupied, seat, the venue is not losing revenue - they get the money the mover paid whichever seat he/she sits in, & they don't lose money from the more expensive seat because no-one had paid for it. The mover isn't 'stealing' anything - that would only be the case if they moved to a seat that had already been 'bought' & deprived the purchaser of its use.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

Exactly - a somewhat draconian 'solution' (if it IS that) and only serving to give the opera house a forbidding reputation.

I'm a moderately enterprising seat shifter but I know a few people who are in a different league altogether. I don't see how it does any harm - would anyone seriously choose to STAND for the duration of Gotterdammerung if there was an unoccupied seat in front of them?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                          ...would anyone seriously choose to STAND for the duration of Gotterdammerung if there was an unoccupied seat in front of them?
                          Guilty (there's always one to contradict any assumption). The entire ring, Boris Godunov, Die Meistersinger, Don Carlos etc. With no back problems, I find standing more comfortable (at the RoH for sure). Amongst the first out to the bar, and last back. But yes, I've observed a lot of movement into any empty seats........

Comment

• Krystal

It's galling when you've paid a premium price for a concert/recital and somebody switches from the 'cheap seats' to one next to you. Usually this occurs after the break, from my experience. I've seen it happen a lot at the Musikverein, the Konzerthaus and Theater an der Wien in Vienna. I've also been to concerts in the Musikverein where people talked all the way through proceedings. And some Japanese patrons got up on the stage, leaned against and tinkled with the Steinway and took pictures of each other during the break. Actually, the Japanese take pictures constantly despite this activity being banned at venues in Vienna. There's a substantial demographic which takes notice of 'rules' any more - it's all about me, me and me. Then there's the decent minority who always abide by the rules.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
                              It's galling when you've paid a premium price for a concert/recital and somebody switches from the 'cheap seats' to one next to you. .
                              Is it?
                              How is it compared to when you fly business class and find one of the 'plebs' has been upgraded?
                              Or you find that you have been paying tax for all these years and the chap who runs the big factory over the road pays none and spends most of his time on a tropical island drinking cocktails and splashing in the sea?

Is it also 'galling' when some folks sit in 'expensive' seats for free with comp tickets?

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Sometimes when it's a small audience, the management invites you forward...there's not much you can do about that, however galling it is!

Comment

Working...
                                X