X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Sometimes when it's a small audience, the management invites you forward...there's not much you can do about that, however galling it is!

Its a bit bleak to do a gig where all the audience are in the distance, much better to have them where you can see them (to prevent escapees during my piece ).

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

M
      Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Is it?
      How is it compared to when you fly business class and find one of the 'plebs' has been upgraded?
      Or you find that you have been paying tax for all these years and the chap who runs the big factory over the road pays none and spends most of his time on a tropical island drinking cocktails and splashing in the sea?

Is it also 'galling' when some folks sit in 'expensive' seats for free with comp tickets?

Yes , but they are always perfectly behaved....

Off topic slightly, but the atmosphere in the cheapest seats at the Mayflower when the WNO are performing is terrific.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Krystal

Some people seem to have issues with people who can afford stuff. It's good to know the atmosphere is "terrific" in the cheap seats, though. That's comforting.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
          Some people seem to have issues with people who can afford stuff. It's good to know the atmosphere is "terrific" in the cheap seats, though. That's comforting.
          what exactly is your point?

is there one, apart from having a go at some unidentified people?

or is this just hand grenade time?

Is it me that has the issues, or is this general, off the peg trolling?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I think the issue is more that some folks who pay lots of money for things seem to resent the unwashed sharing in their experience.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post
              An allegedly persistent offender has apparently been banned from Vienna State Opera.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31160309

"...Police chased him through the theatre before handcuffing him.

The man - who has not been named and is known in local press as 'the phantom of the opera' - was eventually arrested in the Mahler Room following a chase through the aisles of the opera house. The "phantom"... spent several hours in jail. He is understood to have been banned from all future performances at the opera house."

I can think of a large number of people who need handcuffing in the opera house, jailing and banning, before that chap. A lot of them are 'opera directors' but there are quite a few singers too....

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Krystal

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                I think the issue is more that some folks who pay lots of money for things seem to resent the unwashed sharing in their experience.
                It's the idea of taking something that doesn't belong to you - i.e. a seat you haven't paid for. It's called theft. That's the issue. No doubt you're also in favour of pirating music and films. Yeah, I can see where this is going.

Get a good job, save up and pay for it like all the rest of us do. Or waste your time in life writing over 11,000 comments on a messageboard and then wonder why you don't have the 'readies' to pay for your seat. Resentment and contempt is a poor substitute, when you think about it.

Of course, if you feel entitled...........

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  general, off the peg trolling?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

It's called theft.
                    What exactly is being stolen?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      What exactly is being stolen?
                      Someone's fragile sense of smug superiority, it seems.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

...So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first. And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house, saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day. But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee...So the last shall be first, and the first last...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

It's the idea of taking something that doesn't belong to you - i.e. a seat you haven't paid for. It's called theft. That's the issue. No doubt you're also in favour of pirating music and films. Yeah, I can see where this is going.
                          Erm NO it's no the same at all
                          The musicians (you know the ones who imagine and make the sound) aren't being deprived of anything.

I think the "resentment and contempt" is in your head my friend

If you 'pirate' my music i'll send someone round to 'have a wee word in your shell like'

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Someone's fragile sense of smug superiority, it seems.
                          Quite
                          Last edited by MrGongGong; 09-02-15, 22:29.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

I think that once the gig is about to start, there's nothing wrong with switching to a better seat. No-one is losing out.

The only problem is that it's a tad unfair on those who have paid the premium - the felt-fair thang.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Not quite the same thing, but last night at RFH a bloke was asked to move seats (ie out of the Hall) by stewards for refusing to stop his very effusive and expansive conducting along with Andris Nelsons in Bruckner 3.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Not quite the same thing, but last night at RFH a bloke was asked to move seats (ie out of the Hall) by stewards for refusing to stop his very effusive and expansive conducting along with Andris Nelsons in Bruckner 3.
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X