• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Learning musical instruments - statistics

Amongst the Breakfast chatter this morning was an advertisement for In Tune this evening, when the matter of the number of children learning musical instruments will be discussed. The figures quotes sounded extremely high, though I suspect this is due largely to the large numbers who have been learning under the Wider Opportunities scheme - a method I have worked with since it was first piloted, but one which hardly counts in terms of actually learning to play.

Nevertheless, I think it may be worth a listen.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Amongst the Breakfast chatter this morning was an advertisement for In Tune this evening, when the matter of the number of children learning musical instruments will be discussed. The figures quotes sounded extremely high, though I suspect this is due largely to the large numbers who have been learning under the Wider Opportunities scheme - a method I have worked with since it was first piloted, but one which hardly counts in terms of actually learning to play.

Nevertheless, I think it may be worth a listen.
    Thanks for this, will do.

I'm also not sure that Wider Ops counts, though it does sometimes work as a way of folks having the experience of playing in a group.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

What did Ian Skelly mean when he said:

"For some reason, London and the South East lead the way with bassoons. I wonder whether that has anything to do with their getting places in good schools… I wonder."

Is Ian Skelly's understanding of a "good school" a place whether the parents of the children are wealthy enough to be able to support a child on learning instrument that will eventually result in a very expensive purchase - a school without a significant number of free school meals pupils, special needs pupils and other budget-sapping expenses that inevitably reduce funds available for instrumental teaching and the cost of instruments?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Yes, "good" pupil achievement (for the reason you give and due to the skewed pupil intake), rather than "good" school achievement (value added).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Sadly, it wasn't even as informative as the trailer. It's a big topic and worthy of something more in-depth than we were givenn

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

This has been discussed in several places today BUT no-one seems to have a link to the research ?
            Would be good to read what it really says.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

on In Tune it was discussed with someone from the Philharmonia Orchestra (the manager ?) but I can't see anything on their website about it

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                on In Tune it was discussed with someone from the Philharmonia Orchestra (the manager ?) but I can't see anything on their website about it
                There is an interview with David Welton (CEO of the Philharmonia) online but he doesn't say very much apart from bigging up their things in Devon (which ARE rather good IMV)

Comment

• Historian
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  There is an interview with David Whelton (CEO of the Philharmonia) online but he doesn't say very much apart from bigging up their things in Devon (which ARE rather good IMV)
                  With regard to the new Philharmonia scheme, would it be unduly cynical to note that the Arts Council is apparently in the process of reviewing orchestra funding?

Comment

Working...
                  X