X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Wagner's Ring Cycle on DVD

I'm toying with the idea of buying the oft-praised Chereau/Boulez Ring, as Presto have it in their sale at an affordable price and because Amazon only seem to stock the Region 1 (USA) version, which won't work chez nous.

Before I take the plunge, I thought I'd ask for your thoughts and recommendations.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius
  • Richard Tarleton

The Barenboim/Kupfer looks to be seriously cheap on Amazon - £27:39? Several of the same (fabulous) main players as the 1990s ROH Haitink Ring which influenced my choice. Superb. Can't offer a comparison though.

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

My 2010 Penguin Guide gives it two and half stars out of three, and says:"When it first appeared in 1976, the centenary year of the tetralogy, the Patrice Chereau/Pierre Boulez Ring caused public outrage, with boos (and even fisticuffs) in the auditorium. ... Chereau's production divests The Ring of any tradition ... and forces the viewer to rethink afresh the meaning of the powerful mythology. ... "

Sounds well worth investigating. I have only the Siegfried, on CD, not DVD, but musically I found nothing to complain about. For the music I think I'd go for Solti if I could only have one, but of course, Solti doesnt give you the visuals.

Comment

• slarty

I agree with Richard that the Barenboim Kupfer is a much better buy. The Ring visually works much better than the Chereau, and musically, Barenboim is tremendous whereas Boulez tends to skip through it. I much preferred the Barenboim casts to the Boulez. The Kupfer is visually satisfying and musically great. I have them both and while I still dip into the DB Ring quite often, I never bother with the Boulez nowadays.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

The Chereau production is superb - one of the best I've seen, and the transfer from stage to TV screen is/was intelligently done. However, it shouldn't be forgotten that it was done in the late 70s/early 80s on VHS, & the picture quality isn't great.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by slarty View Post
            I agree with Richard that the Barenboim Kupfer is a much better buy.
            That's not actually what he said -

"The Barenboim/Kupfer looks to be seriously cheap on Amazon - £27:39? Several of the same (fabulous) main players as the 1990s ROH Haitink Ring which influenced my choice. Superb. Can't offer a comparison though. "

Comment

• slarty

Well, you like one and I like the other, and Boulez is the main reason not to consider it. His de-construction of the score may well fit the production, but it does not convince me at all. I still buy Wagner DVDs for the music, Barenboim is the one to have. "superb" is what he said, and superb is what I think also.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

If you're watching opera on DVD, surely the production matters as well? Otherwise you might as well listen on CD.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I am not particularly enthusiastic re. Wagner's work in general but did watch/listen to the television broadcasts of the Boulez Ring back in the early '80s. Indeed, I recorded them to a Philips 2000 video recorder. Much, much later I bought the DVDs and was a little taken aback at the relatively low quality of the picture, though I was happy enough with the production and performance. Later still I got the Bareboim and Schønwandt 'Copenhagen' Rings on DVD, and the Haitink and several others on CD. I would not wish to part with any of them, but the Barenboim DVDs would probably be the first rescued from a pending house fire.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I have the Barenboim cycle. Rather enjoyed it!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I have the Barenboim cycle. Rather enjoyed it!
                      I rather enjoyed the Elgar.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I rather enjoyed the Elgar.

Hmmmm...........
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment