X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

Sir Neville Marriner at 90

This is just to mark the 90th birthday of Sir Neville Marriner today.

His recordings with the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields were for me the way in to baroque music as well later repertoire and, in particular, English string music. I still turn to my many records of the ASMF under Marriner for a sheer enjoyable listen.

Happy Birthday, Sir Neville, and warmest thanks for all the music!

• pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I've told this story before so apologies for repeating it...

A friend, who is a top class violinist, had an audition for the ASMF about 5 years ago. Upon arriving early at the appointed time he could only find an old man unfolding music stands and adjusting chairs. 'Excuse me', he asked, 'I'm here for an audition'. 'Lovely to meet you - I'm Neville' replied the old chap!

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

I'm trying to work out which work to listen to celebrate!

So little to choose from...!

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

When my collecting started in earnest in the late 80s Decca released a string of Marriner recordings in its "London" series, devoted to British composers. As has been noted elsewhere, these recordings which first introduce one to repertoire often remain firm favourites. Particularly high on the list are his recordings of Tippett; VW; Elgar's string works; Butterworth orchestral; Delius and Britten's Bridge variations. On less familiar terrain, his traversal of Apollon Musagete and Pulcinella with fabulously belching tuba playing from the Academy's soloist; and Capriccio with Ogdon as soloist, are deservedly still in the catalogue.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

That will have to wait till tomorrow, for Neville from me.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Simon B
            • Dec 2010

Links to CFM might be a form of treason hereabouts... That aside, the video found here http://www.classicfm.com/artists/sir...concert-video/ (with excellent sonics) of the Engima Variations from his 90th birthday concert at the RFH is well worth a view IMO.

Expecting the usual "Hmmmm, this again..." feeling I get with this ubiquitous piece these days, this version instead held my attention more than any I've heard in a long time...

Some of the other grand old men of conducting are young whippersnappers by comparison - but he is living proof that the playing-everything-really-slowly approach is not the only approach in your 9th or 10th decade!

Comment

• Ariosto

I thought he was 90 in 1960! Time must stand still ...

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                I've told this story before so apologies for repeating it...

A friend, who is a top class violinist, had an audition for the ASMF about 5 years ago. Upon arriving early at the appointed time he could only find an old man unfolding music stands and adjusting chairs. 'Excuse me', he asked, 'I'm here for an audition'. 'Lovely to meet you - I'm Neville' replied the old chap!
                That's a great story. Increases my admiration for Neville Marriner - I adore his Mozart - choral works and symphonies.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Comment

• amateur51

Sir Neville Marriner introduced me to lots of music both through his concerts and through his recordings. He was Director of The South Bank Music Festival for many seasons and I went to plenty of those when I was a student. I'm delighted to se that he is still in good order at the grand age of 90!

Bravo Sir Neville and Best Wishes for a very Happy Birthday!

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Did Sir Neville start the chamber orchestra movement? Genuine question!
                    Last edited by Alison; 15-04-14, 21:48.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Don't know the answer but I remember seeing him when he was principal of the LSO seconds in the early sixties, presumably ASMF came immediately after that.

Comment

• hmvman
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Did Sir Sir Neville start the chamber orchestra movement? Genuine question!
                        No, although I'm not an expert I think that honour probably goes to Boyd Neel and Reginald Jacques who started their chamber orchestras in the 1930s.

Marriner and the other musicians who formed the ASMF were, in their day, leading exponents of a more 'authentic' style of performance of baroque music (as it was then in the late '50s/early '60s). Not period instruments of course nor as HIP as people expect today but they were pioneers of a sort.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Did Sir Sir Neville start the chamber orchestra movement? Genuine question!
                          Jörg Faerber with the Württemberg Chamber Orchestra came to mind (on the now defunct Turnabout cheap label). A quick google revealed that
                          Cologne Chamber Orchestra may have a claim. Founded 1923.

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            Don't know the answer but I remember seeing him when he was principal of the LSO seconds in the early sixties, presumably ASMF came immediately after that.
                            Yes, he combined his duties at the LSO with his work at the ASMF. Most, if not all, of the Academy members were also players in other orchestras. It was some years after the formation of the Academy in 1959 that they became a full-time orchestra.
                            Last edited by hmvman; 15-04-14, 21:44. Reason: forgot to put the year

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Was always a pleasure to listen to those ASMF performances.

A fine musician.

Happy birthday!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X