Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    You surprise me, Richard. The use of string vibrato in Norrington's Stuttgart recording is not, of course ubiquitous, but as in their wonderful Proms performance, it is used with care and sensitivity at appropriate points
    I admit I was exaggerating somewhat for the sake of effect, which I can see I'm going to have to be mor careful about... anyway I stumbled upon that CD yesterday while I was looking for something else among the moving boxes (no I haven't just moved, that was in December ), and anyway I think I need to reacquaint myself with it.

Has Thomas Beecham been mentioned yet on this thread? I guess it could be said he's pretty easy to avoid these days though.

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

I tend to avoid JEG. Although I have a few of his things that I quite like. Explain that!

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
        I tend to avoid JEG. Although I have a few of his things that I quite like. Explain that!
        I wonder if it has anything to do with his podium reputation, as alluded to here (and also in the current edition of Private Eye), though perhaps that is a subject for another thread. I wonder also if some people's real antipathy to certain musicians derives partly from their projected personality, or even stupid things they have said (like Beecham, quite a few of whose recordings I greatly admire) or characteristics like "gurning" and platform histrionics, rather than the quality of the performances.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          I wonder if it has anything to do with his podium reputation, as alluded to here (and also in the current edition of Private Eye), though perhaps that is a subject for another thread. I wonder also if some people's real antipathy to certain musicians derives partly from their projected personality, or even stupid things they have said (like Beecham, quite a few of whose recordings I greatly admire) or characteristics like "gurning" and platform histrionics, rather than the quality of the performances.
          Funnily enough I was listening to the stereo Beecham of The Clock (a really bargain basement offering of the Londons plus The Seasons bought via the amazon.co.uk marketplace) less than an hour[sic] ago. It really is quite good, in its somewhat lumbering way. Worth getting as a supplement to the Stuttgarters/Norrington Londons (so favourably reviewed at amazon.co.uk by none other than our own JLW).

Comment

• Lento
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
            Certainly the latter! I have just heard a broadcast of Beethoven's D minor sonata (OP 31/2) in which she rode roughshod over the text (notes and dynamic markings) and played the mordents in bars 43-46 of the finale as triplets, than which (as Tovey rightly says) there is nothing more banal.
            Consider yourself lucky you can discern the difference! I have been listening to Schnabel playing the D minor and, at his speed, I couldn't say (or care) whether he is one of Tovey's offenders or not. Ms L's performance will have now have disappeared off iPlayer, so I cannot make a comparison.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Lento View Post
              Consider yourself lucky you can discern the difference! I have been listening to Schnabel playing the D minor and, at his speed, I couldn't say (or care) whether he is one of Tovey's offenders or not. Ms L's performance will have now have disappeared off iPlayer, so I cannot make a comparison.
              Well, old Schnabel was a crap piano player but one of the greatest musicians around., to date. Lucily he was never a conductor or a bloody music critic. (AND his Hi-Fi setup was rubbish).

Comment

• Lento
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                Well, old Schnabel was a crap piano player but one of the greatest musicians around.
                Perhaps someone should start a "c**p players but great musicians" thread - anyone for Cortot?

Comment

• rauschwerk
                  • Nov 2010

I can report that Schnabel and Kempff both play triplets (shock, horror!) whereas Lewis and Perahia play proper mordents. I wonder why Schnabel is in such a tearing hurry in an Allegretto.

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                    I can report that Schnabel and Kempff both play triplets (shock, horror!) whereas Lewis and Perahia play proper mordents. I wonder why Schnabel is in such a tearing hurry in an Allegretto.
                    Well, it's good to hear that Schnabel could play triplets when he wanted to do so. I quote from "Gramophone Notes" in the December, 1937 edition of THE MUSICAL TIMES reviewing an HMV Beethoven Society volume that included op 7 in Eb and op 31/1 in G:

"And in the Rondo of the op31/1 he plays each of the triplets as two semiquavers and a quaver, although even a moderate technician can play them evenly."

The reviewer commented, "In the vigorous movements Schnabel is characteristically clear of speech and purpose and firm in his control, except now and then for his curious trick of getting rhythmically flustered when he needn't."

Comment

• Lento
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      Well, it's good to hear that Schnabel could play triplets when he wanted to do so.

"And in the Rondo of the op31/1 he plays each of the triplets as two semiquavers and a quaver, although even a moderate technician can play them evenly."
                      He seems to repeat the "error" so presumably he meant it - all very strange!

Comment

• clive heath

This volume was only those two works and was the first of the several volumes I have "restored", those without the Naxos collection could try

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                          Well, old Schnabel was a crap piano player ...
                          What was he like on a good piano then?

Really these silly and unsubstantiated generalisations about great musicians, apparently for just a cheap laugh, are getting tedious.

Comment

• amateur51

Perhaps someone should start a "c**p players but great musicians" thread - anyone for Cortot?
                            A marvellous pianist who recorded too many mistakes

Comment

Working...
                            X