X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I second all of the above.
    I also have an aversion to many musicians from the old USSR. Brass sections that sound like saxaphone quartets and singers with wobble the size of a Chicago pothole. Interestingly, both of those seem to be dissapearing in the decades after the fall ofthe USSR. Let's hope Putin doesn't reinstate them.
    I love the sound of Russian recordings of that period and some French orchestras used to sound like that too.

I suppose it's the individuality I crave in an increasingly homogeneised world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

On one or two occasions, Stephen Cleobury has driven me up the wall.

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        On one or two occasions, Stephen Cleobury has driven me up the wall.
        Hear! Hear!

... and those awful descants.

Not a great fan of Rutter either - like a Southern version of Peter Maxwell Davies.

Hs

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Yes, and he gave a devastating performance of Our Hunting Fathers at the Barbican recently.
          I'd not been a particular fan of Bostridge but I thought his performance of Les Illuminations at The Proms last year was stunning.

Top of my 'to avoid' list is Maria Callas - her voice just grates on me (dives for cover!)

And I've always found recordings by Sir Charles Groves rather dull but I never saw him conduct at a live concert.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Interesting - I have always found Tebaldi rather perfect but she leaves me cold all too often . I find I am admiring the singing rather than being moved .

Comment

• Mary Chambers
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I tried to tell Mary C (an admirer) what I hear when I listen to Bostridge - a sort of arch, over-thought, over-studied, over-produced voice which seems to originate somewhere in the tonsils. A world away from the sort of open, honest, natural tenor I enjoy (English tenors - think Wilfred Brown, Martyn Hill, Anthony Rolfe-Johnson, Philip Langridge...). Basically I can't bear to listen to him any more.
              I don't remember this discussion, but I'm by no means an uncritical admirer. I've heard some rather bad performances from Bostridge, but I've also heard some superb ones. I think he's very variable, or certainly used to be. I don't like him in opera, but that might not be because of the way he sings.

A performer I avoid is Bryn Terfel. He may have a magnificent voice if you like that sort of thing, but I don't find him an intelligent or very musical singer.

I've always found Tasmin Little rather dull, though I feel mean saying that.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                Interesting - I have always found Tebaldi rather perfect but she leaves me cold all too often . I find I am admiring the singing rather than being moved .
                Trying to pin it down, there's sometimes what I can best describe as a "gargle" in Callas's voice at times. I think you'd need to have been there to appreciate her at her best, consummate actress as she was. I have several complete Tebaldi performances - her partnerships with Bergonzi (Boheme, Aida) terrific, I'm less keen on one or two of her other tenors - on my favourite of her performances, a deeply touching La Wally, she's paired with a bawling del Monaco. Her "Ebben..." brings tears to my eyes at any rate

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                  I don't remember this discussion, but I'm by no means an uncritical admirer. I've heard some rather bad performances from Bostridge, but I've also heard some superb ones. I think he's very variable, or certainly used to be.
                  It may have been during the Proms, after "that" Dowland concert. You said something about DFD.
                  A performer I avoid is Bryn Terfel. He may have a magnificent voice if you like that sort of thing, but I don't find him an intelligent or very musical singer.
                  He's grown on me after a couple of Rings.....

I know exactly what you mean!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I find her EMI recordings very 'flat' and non-de script although her most recent Chandos discs are much better. As a live performer she is terrific.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      I find her EMI recordings very 'flat' and non-de script although her most recent Chandos discs are much better. As a live performer she is terrific.
                      I was referring to live performances! Not that I've seen her often.

Comment

• Ariosto

I would agree.I also find her uncontrolled vibrato rather tedious and off putting, and the intonation problems she has because of this, is unfortunate.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I find her perfect too, and extremely moving. To my ears one of the greatest.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I love the sound of Russian recordings of that period and some French orchestras used to sound like that too.

I suppose it's the individuality I crave in an increasingly homogeneised world.
                            Absolutely!

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Roger Norrington.
                              Oh dear, don't start me off again! However, perhaps we should make allowances, after all, he is a conductor. Therefore he is liable to have major problems ...

Comment

• Pikaia

Martha Argerich always seems determined to get the performance over with as quickly as possible, she even plays fast music too quickly. I bet she would perform the Minute Waltz in 60 seconds!

And are we allowed to mention Lang Lang?

Comment

Working...
                                X