X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neiltingley
    • Sep 2011

New John Ogdon biography

Very good! I reviewed it. Needs a little editing ... but I hope you get the point(s)
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

Jessica Duchen also gave it a favourable review in the Times. All terribly sad, though, of course.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1389232.ece (paywall for full article).

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

I've just started reading it. What a sad life he had despite being a top class musician.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Excellent review!

Comment

• neiltingley
          • Sep 2011

Not all sadness but you get the impression the strain between his aspirations and those of Brenda wasn't a source of happiness. That said he adored his wife and they had two much-loved children and that must have been a real source of strength. It seems unbelievable they had such terrible money worries since JO was earning well over 1 million a year (in today's money) during his heyday. Moreover they were both totally hopeless at managing their wealth and splurged it like crazy. And JO himself simply had no life skills: he couldn't look after himself.

I can't remember exactly at what point but I am sure I read that he wanted to cut back his concertising and spend more time composing (as did Glenn Gould, only he managed it!).

P.s. I am still hoping one day to get a decent performance of Rach 3 of his?! And I would love to hear the Reger piano concerto and Schurmann's too ? Mr Schurmann is still with us at 90! At least I got to meet Ronald Stevenson once. He wasn't very complimentary on Sorabji's counterpoint!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

i think I heard this morning that there is to be a programme about John Ogdon on BBC 4 presented by, unless my ears deceived me, Katie Derham . So much for that. Perhaps I misheard.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I give that a miss then!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Perhaps I misheard.
                no you didn't. It was said in that 3-way discussion about Ogdon in Music Matters
                don't know when it will go out, but if it is by way of a 25-year commemoration of his death perhaps it will be around August time (except BBC4 will be knee-deep in proms by then)

Comment

• neiltingley
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  no you didn't. It was said in that 3-way discussion about Ogdon in Music Matters
                  don't know when it will go out, but if it is by way of a 25-year commemoration of his death perhaps it will be around August time (except BBC4 will be knee-deep in proms by then)
                  Peter Donohoe's John Ogdon Memorial recital is to be broadcast sometime around now! Super heavyweight programme!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post
                    Peter Donohoe's John Ogdon Memorial recital is to be broadcast sometime around now! Super heavyweight programme!
                    Wednesday evening 7.30 p.m.

Presented by Katie Derham

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I thought , bar some of Beauclerk's apparent speculation as to the causes or correct classification of his mental illness , which did not appear to be based on medical evidence - utterly compelling . Considering he was commissioned to do the work by John Ogdon's son who is a friend of his and Brenda Lucas apparently collaborated he does not spare her and nor does the evidence . On the other hand she had a pretty torrid time too at the hands of his illness .

A tragic life indeed to the very end when his pneumonia and consequent organ failure was prompted by undiagnosed diabetes and no doubt his long chain smoking habit yet not spotted by his doctors .

Yet what a musician and pianist - his Op 111 I have just been listening too is mesmerising and convinces me that Beethoven was indeed the godfather of jazz !

Comment

Working...
                      X