X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Oct 2024

Yehudi Menuhin in 3 sonatas

Among a large number of 78s that were gifted me by a colleague who himself had accepted them from a neighbour about to chuck them out I found three violin sonatas by Yehudi Menuhin and they seem to me to make a nice concert so here they are. The Bach has Louis Kentner as the accompanist while the other two, Mozart's K. 376 and the Schumann Op. 121 have Hepzibah Menuhin. The piano in the latter is one of the most beautifully recorded of any in this era.
    Concurrently I decided that I had not done justice to the Beethoven Op.96 no.10 sonata with Simon Goldberg soloing and Lili Kraus accompanying so I have re-processed this performance. The violinist is giving such an intimate reading at times that it is more like a private recital than a salon/concert performance.

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
    Among a large number of 78s that were gifted me by a colleague who himself had accepted them from a neighbour about to chuck them out I found three violin sonatas by Yehudi Menuhin and they seem to me to make a nice concert so here they are. The Bach has Louis Kentner as the accompanist while the other two, Mozart's K. 376 and the Schumann Op. 121 have Hepzibah Menuhin. The piano in the latter is one of the most beautifully recorded of any in this era.
    Concurrently I decided that I had not done justice to the Beethoven Op.96 no.10 sonata with Simon Goldberg soloing and Lili Kraus accompanying so I have re-processed this performance. The violinist is giving such an intimate reading at times that it is more like a private recital than a salon/concert performance.

http://www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/transcriptions_13.php
    Did you mean Syzmon Goldberg? His Mozart Sonatas with Krauss are very special, and it would be great to hear them in a digital restoration that cleans up the surface noise of the noisy surfaces of the budget lps that I used to listen to. I'm not sure that I remember hearing that duo in any Beethoven.
    I shall listen to your transcriptions (is transcriptions the right word for what you do? I think "restorations" or perhaps "resurrections" might be more appropriate)

Comment

• clive heath

"Simon" on the label ! Yes, sorry, I've been criticised over "transcriptions" before and have yet to replace the term in all its manifestations.

Comment

• Lento
        • Jan 2014

Have recently discovered a performance by Menuhin of the Lekeu sonata on Spotify. I don't know from which year the recording dates, but there are some hair-raising (and pretty flexible) speeds, leaving one full of admiration for his accompanist Hepzibah!

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post
          Have recently discovered a performance by Menuhin of the Lekeu sonata on Spotify. I don't know from which year the recording dates, but there are some hair-raising (and pretty flexible) speeds, leaving one full of admiration for his accompanist Hepzibah!
          This is one of my favourite recordings of all time and shows Menuhin at his very best.

Comment

• Ariosto

I have some Schumann - Yehudi and Hepzibah - wonderful playing and Hepzibah actually outshines Yehudi. Well, he did admit that she was the greater talent!

Comment

Working...
            X