Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Originally posted by moeranbiogman View Post
    Moeran: Rhapsody No 3 for piano and orchestra.
    This has just been recorded by JoAnn Falletta and the Ulster Orchestra. There is also a very good performance by Vernon Handley, also with the Ulster Orchestra, and Margaret Fingerhut. My own favourite is John McCabe as soloist with Nicholas Braithwaite and the NPO on Lyrita.
    that's the recording through which I became to know this work, on the original CD with the other 3 Rhapsodies of his.
    Definitely in need of some outings

Comment

• Tony Halstead
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I love the Concerto for flute and harp !
      So do I but not when it's played - by certain 'international' flautists - at A=445 when the harp and the orchestra are tuned to A = 440!

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Dvorak Stabat Mater- so beautiful and inexplicably neglected.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
          • Nov 2010

Constant Lambert: Summer's Last Will and Testament (complete)

On the more "contractural obligation" side, I have a general idea to program works that were originally planned, but then canceled because of various factors, e.g. the 1980 dispute, which would include:
          (a) Robin Holloway: Scenes from Schumann
          (b) Henri Pousseur: Mnémosyne I, Mnémosyne II
          (c) Karlheinz Stockhausen: Zeitmasze
          (d) Luigi Nono: Sarà dolce tacere
          (e) Schnittke: Symphony No. 2
          (d) Edward Cowie: Columbine

Another possibility would be William Alwyn's Piano Concerto No. 2, which was supposed to be done sometime in the 1960's at the RAH, but Glock removed it from the schedule (need to look up the details at some point).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Any of the 4 wonderful symphonies by Magnard (2014 so far unrecognised centenary) or the 7 by David Matthews (just because I'm enjoying them so much!).

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
              • Mar 2007

I'd nominate a little known, but charming double concerto by Franz Danzi - his Sinfonia Concertante for flute and clarinet op.41. Checking the Proms Archive for any previous performances reveals - amazingly - that no Danzi has ever been played at the Proms! Can this be true?
              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                Another possibility would be William Alwyn's Piano Concerto No. 2, which was supposed to be done sometime in the 1960's at the RAH, but Glock removed it from the schedule (need to look up the details at some point).

Commissioned for the 1960 Prom season but the premiere had to be cancelled due to the illness of the soloist.
                It remains unperformed in public.

Comment

Working...
                X