X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Nominate a little known work for an imaginary Prom

I was just thinking that this would a fascinating idea and an interactive one that might uncover some gems . To nominate a work that has not been played at the Proms more than once .

I am going to put forward Braunfels : Scottish Fantasy for viola and orchestra . A serious and lovely work judging by Sarah Jane Bradley's performance on the new Dutton CD and rightly lauded in this month's IRR .

What would you like to hear ?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Ferneyhough: Firecycle Beta.

(His entire output fits the rubric of "not been played at the Proms more than once" - and you can omit the last three words for most most of it - but I've never heard this astonishing work apart from a rather dodgy youTube recording.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

my current favourite discovery.
      Nurymov Symphony No 2

would make a fabulous opener. but what to follow it?

EDIT: Here is the proms archive to check those stats on previous performances !

Delve into the 120-year history of the world's greatest classical music festival.

And to save a post later, i'd go for Arnold Symphony #9 as a main work which has never been performed at the proms. Not little known, but seldom performed.

There are people at the helm who should be ashamed of this fact.
      Last edited by teamsaint; 24-03-14, 20:06.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Very much with ts regarding the Arnold 9th. A masterpiece, no doubt about it.

Before ER gets there I'd nominate two concertos, the one for violin by George Dyson (premiered at the Proms in 1943 but scandalously not once since) and the Weinberg Cello Comcerto. Either would make a great programme with the Arnold 9.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Madame Suggia
          • Sep 2012

Tabuh-tabuhan by Colin McPhee

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
            It's been scheduled twice, already. Reckon that's about right for an interesting historical curiosity.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Before ER gets there I'd nominate two concertos, the one for violin by George Dyson (premiered at the Proms in 1943 but scandalously not once since) and the Weinberg Cello Comcerto. Either would make a great programme with the Arnold 9.
              I like it and would attend - but our army might be vanishingly small. You don't need 5000 seats in the RAH for such a concert - but it might half-fill the Cadogan.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Havergal Brian's Symphony 31, a deep and fascinating work.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                  I like it and would attend - but our army might be vanishingly small. You don't need 5000 seats in the RAH for such a concert - but it might half-fill the Cadogan.
                  THrow in a Beethoven PC and a star soloist, and the seats would sell quickly enough, wouldn't they?
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Yep, beat me to it Pet.

So many little known works, we could come up with a whole season dedicated to them
                    Dyson's Symphony has been programmed once.
                    I surprised to learn that The Canterbury Pilgrims has featured 12 times, but in chunks.
                    Very little Myaskovsky has been played, no Weinberg at all

I'll nominate Weinberg's stunning Symphony No. 8, Op. 83, "Tveti Pol'shi"(Polish Flowers).

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Havergal Brian's Symphony 31, a deep and fascinating work.
                      Haven't heard that, as far as I know. Must rectify. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn12y-J2tdg
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Ippolitanov-Ivanov: Mtsyry

Comment

• kea
                          • Dec 2013

Hindemith's Lustige Sinfonietta comes to mind at the moment, but I can't think of what would go with it.

Michael Finnissy's Red Earth also, but I can't think of what would go with that one either—definitely not Hindemith.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kea View Post
                            Michael Finnissy's Red Earth also, but I can't think of what would go with that one either—definitely not Hindemith.
                            Could go on the same programme as Firecycle Beta - with Dillon's Helle Nacht and Barrett's Vanity to make a concert I could only dream about. Some hefty rehearsal scheduling necessary.

Something by David Lumsdaine and/or Ross Edwards and/or Brett Dean might be naffly obvious partners: except that the Finnissy might highlight the weaknesses in their work. Liza Lim would be a stronger bet.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Could go on the same programme as Firecycle Beta - with Dillon's Helle Nacht and Barrett's Vanity to make a concert I could only dream about. Some hefty rehearsal scheduling necessary.

Something by David Lumsdaine and/or Ross Edwards and/or Brett Dean might be naffly obvious partners: except that the Finnissy might highlight the weaknesses in their work. Liza Lim would be a stronger bet.
                              On this one aside from Liza Lim, Mary Finsterer would get my vote and as a counterweight Michael Smetanin.

Comment

Working...
                              X