• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

A couple of quick thoughts on this:
    Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
    Lord Hall’s quotes prioritising the Arts are encouraging if taken as evidence of intent, rather than as merely a Whitehall-facing attempt to re-position the Beeb upmarket in advance of charter renewal.
    Yes, much easier to say what you intend/would like to do. Though my guess is that quite a lot is already 'in hand'. as in 'feelers have been put out'.

On the question of who succeeds RW as Controller of Radio 3 & Proms Director, it remains to be seen whether the two roles will remain amalgamated as at present, or if it’ll be “back to the future” with separation of powers as in the 80s.
    I don't think that's quite accurate. When was the same person offered both posts at the same time? It may seem that they have finally become amalgamated because RW has held both for longer than anyone else. The pattern had been established to accept one (Radio 3), then the second as well (the Proms) and give up Radio 3 within two or three years. I don't recall when anyone stepped into both at the same time - indeed, wasn't Drummond the first to hold both posts? Neither Glock nor Ponsonby were ever Controllers of the Third/R3.

On the minus side, under recent BBC supremos this checklist would probably have damned him as being far too knowledgeable & accomplished for a role in which he’d have to acquiesce in moving downmarket,
    The assumption there is that some BBC 'supremo(s)' , rather than the incumbent, were responsible for the strategy. I personally don't believe that. I believe that both Kenyon and Wright considered the policy was the principle strategy that the said 'supremos' would approve of. That isn't the same as being 'forced' to go downmarket.

Maddock must be in the frame.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Slight amendment to the above:

Drummond held post for a total of 9 years, with 5 years in the middle holding both (1986-1995).
      Kenyon had a total of 11 years, but only 2/3 holding both (1996/98)
      Wright has had a total of 16 years, holding both posts for 7 of them.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Many forthcoming Arts programmes were detailed yesterday so we have a very good idea of the immediate plans.

The whole idea is to bring Arts programming into the mainstream. Talk of "upmarket" is snobbish and is counter to the belief that this BBC Arts programming will be strong enough to have wide appeal. This is Tony Hall's personal drive, and politicians are likely to be very sceptical of it because it may be perceived as "upmarket", and so alienating to many electors, whereas it is intended to make quality Arts accessible to all!

I just hope that the BBC has made the right call on the content to be broadcast. Much of the new programming is televised versions of core productions from flagship arts companies. This is much cheaper than wholly original programming, and it has the "accessibility" virtue of making the work of Arts Council-funded companies available nationwide. However, it goes completely against the contemporary grain of television programmes being made completely for television, not adapted from the theatre. Let us see how they turn out and how they are received and by whom ...

The new Controller, Radio 3, Director, BBC Proms and i/c of the four English Performing Groups will be constrained by the Directors of Music and Arts, and so will not be responsible for the overall strategy, whatever the situation at various points in the past.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
          The new Controller, Radio 3, Director, BBC Proms and i/c of the four English Performing Groups will be constrained by the Directors of Music and Arts, and so will not be responsible for the overall strategy, whatever the situation at various points in the past.
          Alan Yentob once held the position of 'BBC Director of Arts and Music' . I hear he was really feared by the radio controllers - couldn't keep him out of their offices with his new ideas.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Maggie Brown on Tony Hall's BBC Arts proposals: http://www.theguardian.com/media/med...botage-ratings

Steve Hewlett on Radio 4's The Media Show starting now may also be worth an ear: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03yqcwn

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

"that this BBC Arts programming will be strong enough to have wide appeal."

Well, thats surely the ENTIRE history of art in one handy nugget? If it don't go "wide"...well, later for that babes.

And I've got a top Doctorate in Art Stuff. (Univ South Totnes).

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                ...Talk of "upmarket" is snobbish...
                Indeed it is.

Who has used the word?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  Indeed it is.

Who has used the word?
                  I was responding to #224.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    And I've got a top Doctorate in Art Stuff. (Univ South Totnes).
                    You are Sam and I claim my £100 ?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      Indeed it is.

Who has used the word?
                      I don't agree that it has anything to do with 'snobbery'. What one person sees as a statement of fact, another person takes exception to. Let's agree to call it 'elitist' then.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Back to Proms Director and Controller of Radio 3, article in BBCMM suggests this will be two separate posts: "The BBC has announced that recruitment for both posts will take place in due course."

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

This is the programme about a revolution in media.

Worth listening to today's The Media Show maybe? First item.
                          Feisty exchanges on the announcements. Seems not everyone is 100% convinced, whatever the fine words may have been!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Let's agree to call it 'elitist' then.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dv9hq

Worth listening to today's The Media Show maybe? First item.
                              Feisty exchanges on the announcements. Seems not everyone is 100% convinced, whatever the fine words may have been!
                              I could barely hear that programme above the "scratch" of vital arts applications and submissions being rapidly drafted...and re packaged.

Grim up N.Charlotte Street.

Hilarious.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Back to Proms Director and Controller of Radio 3, article in BBCMM suggests this will be two separate posts: "The BBC has announced that recruitment for both posts will take place in due course."
                                Well, they are (at the moment*) seperate posts. I don't think that that neccessarily suggests that they will be filled by different people.

* There's nothing to say that in the future it couldn't be a single post - 'Controller of Radio 3 and the BBC Promenade Concerts'.

Comment

Working...
                                X