X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    The Grauniad advocates a safe world in which all cadences can be resolved under capitalism.
    well tell that to small nasty glaswegian Billy then. I dare you. He'll bite your legs. Or something.

As for their world view, I'll take your word for it. I avoid all newspapers like the plagal.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Not our SuzieK, surely?
      no, i think she stuck pins in her ears, to stop her hearing interviewees answers.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        As for their world view, I'll take your word for it. I avoid all newspapers like the plagal.
        That's an Imperfect comment.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Not our SuzieK, surely?
          She's Suzy. Though it could be a clever disguise
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            She's Suzy. Though it could be a clever disguise
            I think Suzy would be cleverer than that. it wouldn't fool people who can't spell (like me).

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
              However Bob Shennan has had overall responsibility for other radio stations as well, and I think the point to note is that Radio 6 was saved from the axe,
              But was he responsible for saving it, or for the threat of the axe? My understanding is that it was saved by a vociferous campaign in the media and from listeners. I don't think Radio3 would get the former, & listeners have been campaigning against the changes for some time, with little success.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                But was he responsible for saving it, or for the threat of the axe?
                The BBC Executive put it to the Trust for ratification, and the Trust turned it down - yes, obviously because of the campaign. 6 Music is right up the street of the quality press. But Tim Davie who was then Director of Radio was behind the decision to close it.

Meanwhile, an interesting quote from Tony Hall's speech today:

"I’m delighted Bob Shennan has agreed to take on a new role as Director of Music – but will of course continue with his day job. Later in the spring, the two of us will lay out our plans for music in depth."

So a) the post is not a fulltime one - he still keeps (atm) R2, 6M and the Asian Network

b) Hall will be in on it too. But I'm not quite sure why Shennan would have been chosen.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  The BBC Executive put it to the Trust for ratification, and the Trust turned it down - yes, obviously because of the campaign. 6 Music is right up the street of the quality press. But Tim Davie who was then Director of Radio was behind the decision to close it.

Meanwhile, an interesting quote from Tony Hall's speech today:

"I’m delighted Bob Shennan has agreed to take on a new role as Director of Music – but will of course continue with his day job. Later in the spring, the two of us will lay out our plans for music in depth."

So a) the post is not a fulltime one - he still keeps (atm) R2, 6M and the Asian Network

b) Hall will be in on it too. But I'm not quite sure why Shennan would have been chosen.
                  Many thanks for clarifying these issues, ff.

Actually, what Tony Hall said was:
                  Leadership
                  The first is strong, clear leadership.

As I said last autumn, I want to build two strong statements for the BBC – a joined up BBC Arts – and a joined up BBC Music.
                  I want Arts and Music to be as recognised with the BBC, as BBC News is.
                  I’m delighted Bob Shennan has agreed to take on a new role as Director of Music – but will of course continue with his day job. Later in the spring, the two of us will lay out our plans for music in depth.
                  I’ve asked Jonty Claypole to take on a similar role as our Director of Arts.
                  What’s new is that both will take a view right across the BBC. They’ll be working across television, radio, iPlayer and online – joining up the different parts of the BBC, as well as working closely with commissioning. They will be thinking globally, nationally, and locally and I want Bob and Jonty to make life simpler, clearer – and more joined up. And, I might add I’ll be keeping a close personal interest in what they do.

I'm a newcomer to BBC management processes. But it seems difficult to believe that the new controller will be allowed to go his/her own sweet way, not with Tony Hall staring over her shoulder.

That is why a big name like Gillian Moore may not be interested (who does have BBC involvement by the way). There may be an argument for a former Tony Hall crony????

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

They will be thinking globally, nationally, and locally and I want Bob and Jonty to make life simpler, clearer – and more joined up. And, I might add I’ll be keeping a close personal interest in what they do.
                    That sounds like the coordinating role that RW had as Chair of the Classical Music Board. I expect that's scrapped (it was pretty useless anyway)
                    I'm a newcomer to BBC management processes. But it seems difficult to believe that the new controller will be allowed to go his/her own sweet way, not with Tony Hall staring over her shoulder.
                    Just imagine him doing that for every television channel and radio station ... He does have his own job to do.

I imagine the post will carry a broad brief at the outset and the eventual controller will tick the requisite boxes, or be called to account if s/he doesn't.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

>>>> that both will take a view right across the BBC. They’ll be working across television, radio, iPlayer and online – joining up the different parts of the BBC, as well as working closely with commissioning. They will be thinking globally, nationally, and locally and I want Bob and Jonty to make life simpler, clearer – and more joined up.<<<<

....I don't want something planed smooth....joining up things so that every individual part looses a little bit of what makes it good....is what regularly happens. Surely the process starts with commissioning because that is the basis of output....commissioning commissioning commissioning....get some bloody good ideas and make some programmes....sod yer opaque 'joining up'....find some interesting people with interesting ideas and skills....I don't want it planed smooth, I want to be surprised....

....typical 8thO nonsense....
                      bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        well gongers seems to thing he has the (w)right qualities, and its a **** load of cash for no really hard work, (you know, like digging coal, teaching, composing, selling stuff, for instance, so why wouldn't he ?!

PLUS ...he LOVES classical music sales charts i would think, cos he has been banging on about sales often enough recently................
                        erm WHO ?

Jonny Trunk for R3 I say

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Don't worry, Hugh Bonneville in his new BBC role will sort it all out.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

I want to build two strong statements for the BBC – a joined up BBC Arts – and a joined up BBC Music.
                            Cracking ambitions these! But can anyone tell me what 'joined up' means in this context? It's sheer drivel to fill up a piece of paper.

As a long-time devotee of setting employees truly SMART objectives, I want to know how you Measure this and how you know - or anyone else knows, come to that - what Time (= 'when') you've achieved it.

And if any lucky boarders don't know about SMART objectives, keep it that way and enjoy life Do NOT Google it - that way madness lies...

...he said drooling and fighting off the men offering him the funny coat with the buttons at the back
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                              • Nov 2010

here's another candidate:

whose excellent qualities include being a ( lapsed) horn player!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                                whose excellent qualities include being a ( lapsed) horn player!
                                I would say that being a (lapsed) horn player was absolutely essential

Comment

Working...
                                X