X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

If anyone sees an advert/job description for the Radio 3 vacancy, please post it here. It would be good to know such an important position would not be settled in a mafia-like style.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Roger Wright quits

Maybe everyone already knows, but I found this today:

Roger Wright, the controller of BBC Radio 3, who was accused of ‘dumbing down’ the station, has suddenly resigned after 15 years in the £227,000-a-year job.

...our prayers may have been answered, but is it a case of the devil you know?

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Here's another:

Roger Wright is leaving the two most powerful and politically contentious jobs in classical music. Ivan Hewett assesses his performance

Comment

• kea
          • Dec 2013

Main thread's over on Platform 3: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...ldeburgh-Music

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Ok, thanks...I guessed I was already too late with this news!

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              If anyone sees an advert/job description for the Radio 3 vacancy, please post it here. It would be good to know such an important position would not be settled in a mafia-like style.
              ...assuming that it hasn't already done so...
              Last edited by ahinton; 25-03-14, 08:44.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

It's all guesswork at the moment, with few clues. But bearing in mind Tony Hall was previously in charge of ROH and that he has ideas for the arts right across BBC, I can't help feeling that if he had the time, he would do the job himself. Of course, he does not have the time, so it would be logical to hire a Yes Man/ Lady who will implement his specific ideas.

Anyone at ROH feel like a move?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

[Five new threads all on the same subject, three within five minutes of each other: something must be afoot.]

But the alternative views are already being given coverage:

Controller faced accusations of being populist and treading on Classic FM territory – others said station wasn't popular enough. By John Plunkett

My own (objective!!!) view is that Roger should have given up Radio 3 five years ago. At this point the current controller would be taking over the Proms. Neither Drummond nor Kenyon served as controller for nearly as long, and they didn't hold both positions for as long (Drummond said it nearly killed him).

Whose decision to change the pattern? And why?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Reading the article it seems that he did get the card someone from the Massagebored sent

On Wright's first day as Radio 3 controller, he picked up a postcard from a listener which said: "Dear Sir, You clearly don't know what you are doing. There is too much singing. Fuck off." He will be hoping for a warmer welcome on his first day in Aldeburgh.

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

If anyone sees an advert/job description for the Radio 3 vacancy, please post it here....
                      Thinking of applying Alps?
                      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                        Thinking of applying Alps?
                        No, but since you ask, I could recommend a few forum members who I think would do a good job.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

three names put forward there
                          will there be an orchestrated "for he's a jolly good fellow" at the Last Night of the Proms ?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            Maybe everyone already knows, but I found this today:

Roger Wright, the controller of BBC Radio 3, who was accused of ‘dumbing down’ the station, has suddenly resigned after 15 years in the £227,000-a-year job.

...our prayers may have been answered, but is it a case of the devil you know?
                            The killer detail of this Daily Mail piece:

The corporation is preparing to make the classical station appeal to more mainstream audiences and will appoint a new ‘head of music’

There is speculation that Mr Wright did not want to work alongside this new role, but in a statement the 57-year-old said: ‘I am honoured to have been invited to lead Aldeburgh Music at such an exciting time in its development.
                            Is this just a rumour? Or has it been officially announced by the BBC? This is crucial! It would seem to change the environment in which the new Controller, Radio 3 would operate. It would fully integrate Radio 3 into BBC Music across all platforms and all music genres. I see this as a Good Thing because it removes the special protected status that classical music has had within Radio 3 for historical reasons, and it means a more level playing field where all music is able to bid for showcase on Radio 3, on its merits.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              will there be an orchestrated "for he's a jolly good fellow" at the Last Night of the Proms ?
                              Hang on a mo'...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                                The killer detail of this Daily Mail piece:

Is this just a rumour? Or has it been officially announced by the BBC? This is crucial! It would seem to change the environment in which the new Controller, Radio 3 would operate. It would fully integrate Radio 3 into BBC Music across all platforms and all music genres. I see this as a Good Thing because it removes the special protected status that classical music has had within Radio 3 for historical reasons, and it means a more level playing field where all music is able to bid for showcase on Radio 3, on its merits.
                                It's unclear to me why this is a good thing - what you propose sounds like a loss of identity/betrayal of current audience at best and a nightmare mash-up at worst.

Allay my fears, HG please

Comment

Working...
                                X