• Show
Clear All
  • Paul Sherratt

Roger.
    Over and out.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I am less optimistic about his replacement. Unless and until Tony Hall kicks out the "management course" thinking with which Birt infected the leadership of the Corporation, the Radio Three "problem" will remain something beyond its ken. It'll just keep plodding on through the audience-alienating mud of "accessibility".
      My prediction: if the BBC management wants R3 to be more like Classic FM, perhaps they should hire one of the present Classic FM managers and do the job completely. Stranger things have happened; look at the number of television executives who have moved from ITV, Sky or Ch4.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
        Thankyou ff, I'm off work for a few weeks, as I'm more spaced out than usual and have good days and bad, but being looked after by the local mental health team who have been very good.
        Great to hear from you suffy.
        You take care and remember,plenty of RVW.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          My prediction: if the BBC management wants R3 to be more like Classic FM, perhaps they should hire one of the present Classic FM managers and do the job completely. Stranger things have happened; look at the number of television executives who have moved from ITV, Sky or Ch4.
          Don't go giving 'em ideas.

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Apart from Britten on the Beach I am much less attracted to the Aimard programmes at Aldeburgh compared to Thomas Ades time .
            Totally agree.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Roger Wright was an improvement on Nicholas Kenyon
              When he first took over, perhaps. He revamped the mornings with Morning Performance and then CD Masters, gave us Janáček Day and Berlioz Day. But Kenyon's Fairest Isle, for instance, was on a different plane from 'Every Note Composer X wrote'. To call that kind of programming 'innovative' discredits innovation.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Roger Wright was an improvement on Nicholas Kenyon (and certainly the Proms have been vastly improved since the dull Kenyon days) - I may be wrong, but I suspect that away from the Beeb mismanagement teams, RW will give Aldeburgh the sort of intelligent programming he'd really wanted to do at the BBC.

I am less optimistic about his replacement. Unless and until Tony Hall kicks out the "management course" thinking with which Birt infected the leadership of the Corporation, the Radio Three "problem" will remain something beyond its ken. It'll just keep plodding on through the audience-alienating mud of "accessibility".
                Very much agreed with the comments on Mr Kenyon. I just feel I want to give Hally a chance to make a good appointment.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  Great to hear from you suffy.
                  You take care and remember,plenty of RVW.
                  Thanks for the messages everyone, you're spot on ER, RVW is all I have been listening to these past couple of weeks, going through his output chronologically, I really do not know what I'd do without his music.

Agree on the recent Aldeburgh seasons, they haven't been great, certainly they were more interesting under Ades.

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    When he first took over, perhaps. He revamped the mornings with Morning Performance and then CD Masters, gave us Janáček Day and Berlioz Day. But Kenyon's Fairest Isle, for instance, was on a different plane from 'Every Note Composer X wrote'. To call that kind of programming 'innovative' discredits innovation.
                    Agreed. The rot started with that Beethoven composerthon in June 2005 and was accelerated with the Autumn 2007 schedule changes. Kenyon seriously downgraded the spoken arts programmes and they never recovered under Wright. I can't really think of any memorable programming (I mean for the right reasons) during Wright's 15-year tenure.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      I've been ill following a breakdown a few weeks ago, but this piece of news has at least cheered me up.
                      Very sorry to hear of your illness, sc, and glad to see you are back with us. Your contributions have been much missed.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

"He has been a fantastic champion of classical music across the BBC and has raised the profile of the Proms every year. We wish him well at Aldeburgh Music and will be looking to build on his achievements at Radio 3 and the Proms."
                        Tony Hall, Director-General, BBC 24.03.2014

"He also co-ordinates classical music output across all BBC platforms."
                        BBC News 24.03.2014

"BBC Radio 3 today announced a raft of spring programming for 2014, highlighting its role as a unique station that broadcasts distinctive classical music and wider arts programming in three dimensions, through radio, live events and context."
                        BBC Media Release 29.01.2014

Radio 3 "Reinvest in The Proms to maintain quality"
                        Delivering Quality First

I don't see how Radio 3, live events including The Proms, online context and other BBC tv and radio classical music can now be disentangled. With diminishing budgets, integrated service planning and cross-subsidies, it now only makes sense to appoint a joint Head of Classical Music and Controller of Radio 3, who might manage a new post of Director, The Proms.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

SC, may I add my good wishes too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Who runs Aldeburgh Music at present?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                              it now only makes sense to appoint a joint Head of Classical Music and Controller of Radio 3, who might manage a new post of Director, The Proms.
                              They find it hard enough to find (suitable) applicants for CR3, let alone to take on the Proms at the same time. Chair of the Classical Music Board would go with CR3, but I don't think that's very onerous - considering how little classical music there is apart from on Radio 3.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Who runs Aldeburgh Music at present?
                                Jonathan Reekie CBE left just over a week ago. Harry Young, General Manager, is acting as Interim Chief Executive.

Comment

Working...
                                X