• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    I wouldn't; I'd have thought that operas on TV would provide an ideal introduction - they require no financial outlay (beyond the licence fee), they can be broadcast an act a night, thereby not requiring an entire evening to be devoted to it; a well-directed broadcast can compensate for the lack of the visceral excitement of being at a live performance; and subtitles can be used more effectively (&, as in the early days of Channel 4 & their weekly opera broadcasts, TV broadcasts can provide subtitles that weren't available in the theatre). A TV broadcast could also be top & tailed by discussion about the work & the composer (ie background information) and comments from members of the audience (who could be carefully selected to demonstrate that it's not just toffs & poofs who go to the opera.
    Going back to those earlier days of Channel 4, they even commissioned opera
    That's how Robert Ashley's
    'Perfect Lives' came to be broadcast in seven half-hour episodes. It was repeated a few months after the initial run and gained something of a cult following.

Comment

• Maclintick
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Sorry, I missed your reply. This is the relevant post:

I am not really sure whether Maclintick would use the word to express his own view or whether it's rather what he thinks Whitehall is probably thinking.

Possibly he'll explain.
      Problematic concept "upmarket", but in this context I think if Lord Hall's announcement means more Shakespeare, opera, ballet etc and fewer game shows, cookery programmes and reality TV, then this might be considered to be re-positioning upmarket as perceived by many licence-fee payers. In this scenario the BBC might hope for a more favourable charter renewal settlement, though of course the strategy could backfire horribly, as well, in terms of reduced audience numbers.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Going back to those earlier days of Channel 4, they even commissioned opera
        ... and a group of British composers were commissioned to write a work with a group heading of "The Call" (Philip Wilby had a piece called The Call of Iona, and IIRC, Steve Martland's Albion was there, too?) Quite a few documentaries, too; including the best programme yet devoted to Birtwistle. Cage and Cunningham, Boulez discussing post WW2 Music (IN FRENCH, with subtitles ... in fact, there was also a series [??Strange Days??] of documentaries in French on post-War French philosophers: highly critical of them all.)

And, of course, Beckett on Film ...

C4 used to be such a great channel
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Do you remember the early days when much programming was so unpopular that commercial breaks contained no commercials?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
            Do you remember the early days when much programming was so unpopular that commercial breaks contained no commercials?
            Do you know those people who behave in a puerile and embarrassing way because they are desperate to be popular?

Comment

• amateur51

Now I rather enjoyed that ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

No, I don't, actually. I do remember such stories appearing in certain newspapers, but the programmes that I watched between c1985 - 2000 all had irritating adverts breaking them up (including Sawallisch's Ring Cycle, when Alberich's stealing of the Rheingold was followed by a quartet of mechanics assuring me that I couldn't fit quicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter). All the programmes I mentioned in #273 had commercial breaks; as some of them were broadcast late at night, I still have these adverts on the videos (do you remember videos?) I made of the programmes - I cannot now think of Foucault without feeling an almost irresistable urge to wash my hair with Tinnotet. Do you remember hair?

But I'm not certain - beyond a private little chortle at C4's expense - what the intended purpose/relevance of your comment is here. Do you mean to suggest that making good quality programmes that will be attractive only to tens of thousands of viewers is a risible idea?

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Do you remember hair?
                  Brilliant post, ferney.

Wasn't it Timotei?
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    Brilliant post, ferney.

Wasn't it Timotei?
                    I dunno - it made my ears buzz, though.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      No, I don't, actually. I do remember such stories appearing in certain newspapers,
                      Around the same time as the mock outrage about the staging of Birmingham's Winterval instead of a Christmas festival I seem to recall

Bent cucumbers anyone?

Where's Simon got to these days?
                      Last edited by Guest; 28-03-14, 12:23. Reason: simon ref

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                        Brilliant post, ferney.

Wasn't it Timotei?
                        Didn't the advert for that involve a forest glade, a lady with very little on, a waterfall & a white horse (or a unicorn?)?

Or was it Alpine meadows?

Comment

• amateur51

Didn't the advert for that involve a forest glade, a lady with very little on, a waterfall & a white horse (or a unicorn?)?

Sounds like a Saatchi Bros Tory party reject - ooops politiks on the main board

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Can't say I noticed, Flossie. <butterwouldn'tmeltemoticon>

Good heavens! I didn't know EA hired out his house & grounds to film companies!

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

How memory fades... No she was fully clothed

http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7zGCsemiY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

I also remember the days when BBC did not have its phoney commercials blowing its own inadequate trumpet!

Comment

Working...
                                X