X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Is Frederic the King of the Night?

Coming home with a bag of 50p CDs from our Library sale - I find I have now another set of Chopin Nocturnes. I know there are others in what seems a relatively small arena - Alkan, Faure, Field etc. bit I keep returning to Chopin. Do others find they suffer from overexposure or are just not as good as the competition?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Do others find they suffer from overexposure or are just not as good as the competition?
    Not I - just a couple of bars of any of the Nocturnes (well, almost anything he wrote) and I'm "in the zone" with Chopin. Nothing against any of the other composers you mention ('tho' I'd swap Field for Debussy or Sciarrino before the hat had reached the floor) - but Chopin has my vote if such is needed.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Given the high level of exposure that much of his music receives, i can't think of a single piece that I have ever tired of.

Genius.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Yes probably.

But if I had to chose a favourite top ten nocturnes,no 1 would be Alkan Op 22,no 2 would be Field no 5 (the famous one)followed by any 8 of Chopin.
        The Faure ones do little for me,not sure why.

Comment

Working...
        X