X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Sep 2024

A cornucopia of classical LPs

I have replaced about half the selections on the classical LP page of my site. These are the new ones...........

Mozart's Jupiter Symphony. Karl Böhm and the Berliners. A wonderful performance ".. mellow and cultivated but still magnetic and strong". Both in this and the Pastoral he has the horns just right of center and this is just magic!

Beethoven's Pastoral, this time Böhm with the Viennese and just as wonderful. " as fine as any, a beautiful unforced reading, one of the best played.." After a lifetime of these great works I hope you will warm to these performances as I have done.

Beethoven's 1st Piano Concerto, Kempff and Leitner with the Berliners."...a warm ambience and natural piano timbre; the wisdom Kempff dispensed is as fresh as ever...there is memorable orchestral playing throughout".

Prokofiev 6th Symphony, Neeme Järvi and the Scottish Symphony Orchestra. ".. Järvi has an instinctive grasp and deep understanding of this symphony.."

Vaughan Williams 4th Symphony. Sir Adrian Boult and the New Philharmonia. Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 is the filler.

Lastly, an opportunity to get in the mood for Die Frau ohne Schatten with Strauss' Salome in a recording from Karajan and the Vienna Symphony Orchestra with soloists Hildegarde Behrens, Agnes Baltsa, José van Dam and Karl Walter Böhm. Surprised and ultimately delighted to find this work in my father's collection.

Quotes from my ancient Penguin CD guide ( at least it is CD!)

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.
Working...
X