Yevgeny Nesterenko
    John Shirley-Quirk
    Hans Sotin
    Bryn Terfel
    Gerald Finley
    George London
    Marti Talvela
    Gustav Neidlinger

I lean towards the English, Germans and Russians here...and I can't count either.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Zucchini
      • Nov 2010

In addition to having fantastic voices, Terfel and Finley are marvellous actors
      Tito Gobbi was renowned as a singing actor but maybe he'd look a bit hammy now.
      Sherrill Milnes' career was cut short by ill health but he had perhaps the most beautiful baritone I've ever heard..
      But the breath control and dark velvet colour of Piero Cappucilli's voice was something to wonder at

Never got on with Fischer Dieskau; I incline to think that his fame and success took him to venues that were too large for lieder and his (by operatic standards) smallish voice

ps must add Boris Christoff

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I too might have include Sherrill Milnes.

…and several from Petrushka's list, though perhaps Hans Hotter was too wobbly for my tastes.

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

From our own country, that greatly loved singer and teacher, Norman Allin* and also Robert Easton and John Carol Case.

From the world of opera, Sesto Bruscantini (Figaro) and Otaka Krauss (Scarpio)

* I was privileged to know Norman Allin when he was a Professor of singing at The Royal Academemy of Music. He used to teach the sopranos!
          My family had an old 78 of him singing "Asleep in the Deep" and "The Diver". How low can a singer get?

Hs

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I too might have include Sherrill Milnes.

…and several from Petrushka's list, though perhaps Hans Hotter was too wobbly for my tastes.
            Hasn't Placido Domingo sung baritone roles recently. I would add Willard White, Benjamin Luxon (before his tragic hearing loss), Christopher Maltman.

From the non-classical area:
            Scott Walker
            Bill Medley
            James Taylor
            Bing Crosby
            Matt Monro

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Oh, go on then:

Chaliapin
              Gerhard Husch
              Paul Robeson
              John Carol Case
              John Shirley Quirk
              Willard White
              Donald McIntyre
              Hans Hotter
              Ludwig Weber
              Stephen Varcoe

... but there's nobody on anyone's list whom I've heard that I'd disagree with.

There was a long time (really until a couple of years ago) that DF-D would have been top of my selection, but recently I've found him very difficult to listen to: too sophisticated, "interpreting" the Music he sings in such a way that a barrier is placed between it and me. Obviously, as these are the same recordings I've had since the late '70s, it's not his "fault" - but perhaps there is another Thread here: "Artists who've lost their appeal for you".

But, please; NOT another ryddu LIST!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Many favourites mentioned already. I'll add some:
                Karl Schmitt-Walter
                Heinrich Schlusnus
                Willi Domgraf-Fassbaender (father of Brigitte)
                Alexander Kipnis
                Gérard Souzay

Comment

• Rolmill
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  ... but there's nobody on anyone's list whom I've heard that I'd disagree with.
                  Oh well, we can't have all this civilised agreement....I'm afraid that I would disagree with:

Owen Brannigen
                  The only recording of him that I have is as Christ in Stainer's Crucifixion with St John's, Cambridge conducted by George Guest. Much though I admire the choral singing and the other soloist (the marvellous Richard Lewis), Brannigan's lugubrious, slightly-under-the-note delivery ruins this performance for me. I never understood why reviews of this recording praised his singing so much. I'm sure he was fine in other contexts (e.g. the G&S roles he was famous for), but this one rather put me off exploring his recordings any further.

That said, I would add Samuel Ramey to the bass mix - in his prime, a thrilling exponent of Rossini in particular (I recall a sensational concert performance at ROH of Semiramide, where Ramey dominated a pretty impressive cast including Marilyn Horne and June Anderson).

To the baritones, I would also suggest Renato Bruson, who I think had one of the loveliest male voices I've ever heard.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

We might as well have the full set.

... Clifford Grant...
                    Interesting choice, Alpie. I'd add:

Horace Stevens
                    Peter Dawson
                    Malcolm McEachern
                    Harold Williams
                    John Brownlee
                    John Cameron

Think that's enough Aussies to follow my sopranos list.
                    Quite why Australia produced so many fine high voices and low voices is quite a mystery...

Comment

• Zucchini
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                      That said, I would add Samuel Ramey to the bass mix...
                      To the baritones, I would also suggest Renato Bruson, who I think had one of the loveliest male voices I've ever heard.
                      Agree with that. I first saw Bruson when he stood in for Milnes (Ballo I think) and was captivated within moments

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                        Oh well, we can't have all this civilised agreement.....
                        Quite right - I don't know what came over me this morning; my apologies! Isn't Vitaly Gromadsky dreadful!

There - that's better.

(Sorry, Pet - name chosen at random. I can't remember ever having heard Gromadsky. )

EDIT: <doh> - of course I have: he's on the Kondrashin Shostakovich #13 recording, isn't he!
                        Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 10-03-14, 15:34.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

I'm glad somebody mentioned Malcolm McEachern - Little Betty Bouncer is one of my favourites
                          An early success by a popular duo, Flotsam being the pianist & higher voiced singer, Jetsam being the bass. Recorded in June 1927 (Columbia Cat. No. 4697), j...

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Quite right - I don't know what came over me this morning; my apologies! Isn't Vitaly Gromadsky dreadful!

There - that's better.

(Sorry, Pet - name chosen at random. I can't remember ever having heard Gromadsky. )

EDIT: <doh> - of course I have: he's on the Kondrashin Shostakovich #13 recording, isn't he!
                            The live recording, yes. Also on Kondrashin's recording of The Execution of Stepan Razin. Wonderful Russian bass.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

There's a wonderful recording from the doomed city of Dresden in 1944 of Wotan's Farewell from Die Walküre sung by Josef Herrmann. Listening to it one wishes more than anything that we had a complete Wotan from him. Just perfect.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The Dresden Staatskapelle is conducted by Karl Elmendorff on this recording.

Comment

Working...
                              X