• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Kollo sang in Siegfried only; Jess Thomas (now there's a name no-one has mentioned) sang the role in Gotterdammerung in 1976
    I'm not convinced. On the TV presentation, it was Kollo who entered wearing a dinner jacket in Gotterdammerung.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I'm not convinced. On the TV presentation, it was Kollo who entered wearing a dinner jacket in Gotterdammerung.
      I was going by the Bayreuth Festival website which has a full performance history since 1951.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I was going by the Bayreuth Festival website which has a full performance history since 1951.

http://www.bayreuther-festspiele.de/.../spielplan.htm
        Puzzling. That would seem to be the definitive source, but I don't think my memory has deceived me.

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

Has anyone mentioned Gerald English?

A remarkable high voice. I believe he went to Australasia. His voice was ideally suited to the Pears/Britten repertoire.
          I remember him singing in Rimsky Korsakov's "May Night" with the Welsh National Opera.

Hs
          Last edited by Hornspieler; 10-03-14, 10:27. Reason: the usual typo "remeber"

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
            Has anyone mentioned Gerald English?

A remarkable high voice. I believe he went to Australasia. His voice was ideally suited to the Pears/Britten repertoire.
            I remember him singing in Rimsky Korsakov's "May Night" with the Welsh National Opera.

Hs
            No but there is a terrific live performance of him singing the Serenade for Tenor,Horn and Strings with Barbirolli in Cologne now available on ICA Classics - with a thrilling Schubert 4 and another cracking Sibelius 2 thrown in for good measure.

Comment

• amateur51

Amazed no-one's mentioned ...

Gerhard Husch
              Aksel Schiøtz
              David Lloyd
              Bobby Darin
              Nat 'King' Cole

Comment

Working...
              X