X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Not strictly speaking a new release, just a new box, and quite tempting for me, who doesn't have any of the contents... https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/e...mplete+generic

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Not strictly speaking a new release, just a new box, and quite tempting for me, who doesn't have any of the contents... https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/e...mplete+generic
      Not for me. I already have those DG et al recordings of his that I want, including the DVDs of The Ring, a work I am not particularly fond of, despite a relative plethora of audio and video recordings to hand. In general, I find his later recorded performances rather less engaging than his earlier ones.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

"challenging"...." "confrontational".... doesn't begin etc.....
        A radically different orchestral balance and timbre, winds foregrounded often thrillingly...

No completions or adaptations or orchestrations (all of which I usually enjoy) here....simply every note Schubert set down...

Schubert: Complete Symphonies & Fragments

L'Orfeo Barockorchester, Michi Geig
        QOBUZ LOSSLESS

Comment

• RichardB
          Banned
          • Nov 2021

Yes indeed. I listened to no.5 this afternoon. Straight to the top of the pile. Well, apart from the recent CMW/Gottfried 5th and (Un)Finished.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Not for me. I already have those DG et al recordings of his that I want...
            Yup - same here - and particularly his Ravel is superb!

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Actually, come to think of it, I do have some of the forthcoming Boulez box, but I'd forgotten about them, maybe because they're part of other boxed sets! Messiaen, Webern, Stravinsky and of course, Boulez himself...

Comment

• TBuckley

I'll be queueing up for this one:

Debussy: Pelléas et Mélisande. Harmonia Mundi: HMM90535254. Buy download online. Julien Behr (Pelléas), Vannina Santoni (Mélisande), Alexandre Duhamel (Golaud), Marie-Ange Todorovitch (Geneviève), Jean Teitgen (Arkel), Hadrien Joubert (Yniold) Les Siècles, Chœur de l'Opéra de Lille François-Xavier Roth

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

At last, the final instalment in this wonderful series

<p>Howard Shelley’s survey of the piano music is an undoubted highlight of the Mendelssohn revival. In this, the final instalment of the series, he focuses on late works and posthumous publications.</p>
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68368
                    I have missed this series of recordings, thanks for the pointer.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68368
                      Agreed

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Surprisingly, I have not yet got round to ordering that from Simon. Their earlier recording of Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello was very good. A fine alternative to the Tilbury/Smith Quartet members. Come to that, Piano and String Quartet is not even on the Another Timbre site yet, though I knew it was down for a November release.
                        10 minutes shorter than Tilbury and The Smiths, and there’s something about the recording quality and their intonation which, IMO, is slightly sweet and kitsch. I listened to the whole of The Smiths today and there’s a sense of mystery and raptness which is wonderful, normally I have a short attention span!

I’m a bit down on Apartment House generally at the mo. But very much enjoying late Feldman pieces which are, let’s say, less than two hours long.

(By the way, I’ve been enjoying Tilbury’s 4 CDs of Howard Skempton from his website a lot recently, and while downloading them I noticed that he’s planning on releasing a Satie recording soon.)
                        Last edited by Mandryka; 14-12-21, 20:29.

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2007

Discovered yesterday that the pianist Antony Gray has recorded lots of previously unrecorded piano music by Saint-Saens for Divine Art. Details are on their website.
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn
                            Beware the Karlrecords Xenakis '3-disc' release on Bandcamp. I was foolish enough to purchase it. Just a few days later they have released the content as 3 separate 'CDs' on the same site at a considerably lower pro-rata cost. I will not be purchasing anything from them in the future, no matter how attractive their releases may look. What makes it even worse is that they have just tried to sell them to me again as those separate issues. Very questionable business practice,
                            Wait, what? I received a notification on my phone about this 'new' release from them and wondered what they were doing... Looks to me like the electroacoustic works are just now available separately. I ordered the five-disk electroacoustic works box, so what's this three-disk one??

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              Wait, what? I received a notification on my phone about this 'new' release from them and wondered what they were doing... Looks to me like the electroacoustic works are just now available separately. I ordered the five-disk electroacoustic works box, so what's this three-disk one??
                              Oops! I was too quick to respond, noting the titles included on the separate issues. I will delete my post but am still annoyed that they should effectively try and sell me recordings I have already purchased How much effort does it take to write a conditional loop to avoid emailing promotions for items already purchased, albeit as separate 'discs'?

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Oops! I was too quick to respond, noting the titles included on the separate issues. I will delete my post but am still annoyed that they should effectively try and sell me recordings I have already purchased How much effort does it take to write a conditional loop to avoid emailing promotions for items already purchased, albeit as separate 'discs'?
                                Just received from Karl Records:

Thanks for all the Xenakis orders!
                                But as it seems there is a misinterpretation of the "sold out" status of the Xenakis vinyl box.
                                The share that was reserved for the preorder on bandcamp has gone very fast but the vinyl box is not sold out completely -
                                distros and mailorders / record shops like Soundohm, HHV, bleep etc. will have copies as well (release date: jan 28th) and if there are copies left afterwards, they will be available here ...

and: the 3 new albums that are contained in the box (Early Works, Polytopes I, Late Works) are also available for individual download. And these 3 will be repressed and released as individual LPs too, but it takes several months from now.

Sorry for the "confusion" but I honestly didn't expect such a huge interest in such short time. I expected it will do well and during the preorder I can get a "feeling" if the new LPs should be released solo as well ...

Thanks for your understanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X