X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

This release looks and indeed is enticing!

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Brilliant Classics have an impressive catalogue of lesser known composers' keyboard works. Reincken, Bohm, Kozeluch etc. At their low price, these box sets are well worth investigating.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

CD Review this Saturday will feature the latest Haydn symphony release from Antonini - Le Matin, Le Midi et le Soir

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Brilliant Classics have an impressive catalogue of lesser known composers' keyboard works. Reincken, Bohm, Kozeluch etc. At their low price, these box sets are well worth investigating.
          They're also good at exploring lesser-known works by familiar composers. I recently got Complete Berg Songs (very good CD or download offer at Presto)..

... and promoting new, less well-known artists. I have made quite a few discoveries in this new good-value Rachmaninov complete solo piano box

Comment

• Parry1912
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I have made quite a few discoveries in this new good-value Rachmaninov complete solo piano box
            Those Santiago Rodriguez performances are really superb.
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

There's a lot to enjoy here. Pierrot and Muller I knew before and they're seriously good musicians -- Muller fabulous in Tobias Hume and in Purcell (with Les Nieces de Rameau) and Pierot is exceptional in Biber and the Bach accompanied violin sonatas. She plays violin with such purity and simplicity that it's like an angel playing. The sound's state of the art.

Their phrasing, rubato and tempo make for a few meditative introspective performances, which is what I like. There's an quite a range of affects.
              Last edited by Mandryka; 03-07-21, 17:39.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

• Utterly irresistible, craggily intense, such a contrast drawn between the dark and the songful.....
                  Yes its on the edge sometimes, takes risks, frightens the horses in ways the the horses might even enjoy -
                  But my word it brings the piece to life! Winds and brass singing and soaring!

Mes favoris
                  Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris
                  Brahms: Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 77
                  (Live in Utrecht, 9/30/2003)

Frans Brüggen, Orchestra Of The 18th Century, Thomas Zehetmair
                  • Released on 02/07/2021 by Glossa
                  • Main artist: Thomas Zehetmair
                  • QOBUZ 24-Bit 44.1 kHz - Stereo
                  • Back in the good old Vredenburg again, not everyone's favourite , vividly recorded, but you may need a higher volume setting than usual to bring out power and detail....(no details on the violin, but just listen to the cadenza to (i)!).

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-07-21, 14:18.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Poetic's the word.

“How to act in the face of the incomprehensible, the immeasurable? Closing your eyes without letting yourself be too distressed — remaining prostrate in a type of comfort only humans can experience? Or open them fully, at the risk of getting lost, of slipping into a stupor? The Hammerklavier Sonata surpasses all understanding. Facing it is one of the most frightening tests of a performer’s life. But it is as irresistible as it is insurmountable. To dare to embody it can only be an attempt to wrest the unfathomable from sound matter. Postponed many times, this recording was finally made possible thanks to the inspiring turmoil and the fascinating recess that the ​“Corona crisis” engendered.”

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Among my most-adored Haydn works; I see little point in ranking among all my previous favourites.... Fey, Harnoncourt, Kuijken....(interpretive specifics later, perhaps...)....
                    But gorgeously done here, as we've come to expect......just enjoy the heck out of them (and the generous "filler" of the k239 Mozart Notturno)...

Mes favoris
                    Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.
                    Haydn 2032, Vol. 10: Les heures du jour

Giovanni Antonini and Il Giardino Armonico

• Released on 09/07/2021 by Alpha Classics
                    • QOBUZ 24-Bit 96.0 kHz - Stereo

Comment

• ostuni
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Poetic's the word.
                      I wouldn’t disagree about 'poetic', but don’t think that's the first attribute in what I look for in a Hammerklavier performance. The slowish tempo, further underlined by frequent little decelerations signalling an upcoming moment of poetry… Osborne and Levit are two of the players who supply the sort of adrenaline-filled first movements that suit my tastes.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Lisette Oropesa’s Mozart concert arias CD on Pentatone is terrific splendidly accompanied by Il Pomo d’Oro.

I was very impressed by her singing in that Covent Garden concert in lockdown.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Exciting News for Brucknerians......Dausgaard is back...!

Following a visit to Wagner in Bayreuth in 1873, Anton Bruckner dedicated his most recent symphony, No. 3 in D minor, to ‘the unattainable world-famous noble master of

SACD seems as yet unavailable....release dates given 20/08 - 3/09....apparently no streaming yet either.
                          Bear in mind this is the 1873 original, Dausgaard bringing it home in....56'35..... must surely be the fastest on record, with LCP/Norrington at 57'25........

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            Exciting News for Brucknerians......Dausgaard is back...!

Following a visit to Wagner in Bayreuth in 1873, Anton Bruckner dedicated his most recent symphony, No. 3 in D minor, to ‘the unattainable world-famous noble master of

SACD seems as yet unavailable....release dates given 20/08 - 3/09....apparently no streaming yet either.
                            Bear in mind this is the 1873 original, Dausgaard bringing it home in....56'35..... must surely be the fastest on record, with LCP/Norrington at 57'25........
                            Wow, thanks. I have not had the usual email alert yet. First (surround) download just started. At £6.36 it was a must.

Hmm. First attempt failed at a few hundred MBytes. Trying again.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 31-07-21, 21:20.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Wow, thanks. I have not had the usual email alert yet. First (surround) download just started. At £6.36 it was a must.

Hmm. First attempt failed at a few hundred MBytes. Trying again.
                              I only found out about it through John F Berky's abruckner.com newsletter....

Good luck with your files.... at the price as you say & with other media a way off, looks like a return to 24/96 downloads for me, even if for one night only.....I'll try after midnight.........

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

All now successfully downloaded. Probably a bit late to listen to at an appropriate level tonight. I don't want the first audition to be via headphones.

Could not wait. Listening to the 96/24 stereo option via headphones. They certainly set off at one Hell of a lick. The absolute antithesis of Celibidache's approach.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 31-07-21, 23:21. Reason: Update.

Comment

Working...
                                X