X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EnemyoftheStoat
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
    Pleased to be more knowledgeable about Von Bahr now...thanks. These people are the unsung heroes of the classical recording industry, I guess. Well, not entirely unsung!
    Oops, you mentioned unsung heroes, bringing the thread (like that of the same name) to a grinding halt. Folks don't like their heroes to be unsung around here, it seems.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

A treat for fans of the superb alto voice of Maureen Forrester. 3CDs worth of Lieder from RIAS Berlin radio recordings (1955-1963) have just been issued for the first time. I only really knew her from her fiine contribution to the 1966 Haitink/Concertgebouw Mahler 3.
      I decided to download them for a mere 12.99 Euro from Audite's site. There's a wide range of repertoire in very good sound and am really enjoying investigating their delights.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Vol 3 of Giovanni Antonini & il Giardino Armonico's Haydn

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DOZ8RKM
          Excellent. I don't know how Amazon hope to pick up any passing trade with that one though, given that they give no indication as to what's on it.

To save others from bothering to look it up, the Haydn symphonies are nos. 4, 42 and 64, plus the overture to L'Isola Disabitata, the concert aria "Solo e pensoso" and a Mozart concert aria "Vado, ma dove?" I can't say I know any of these pieces but it sounds like a fascinating programme.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            Excellent. I don't know how Amazon hope to pick up any passing trade with that one though, given that they give no indication as to what's on it.

To save others from bothering to look it up, the Haydn symphonies are nos. 4, 42 and 64, plus the overture to L'Isola Disabitata, the concert aria "Solo e pensoso" and a Mozart concert aria "Vado, ma dove?" I can't say I know any of these pieces but it sounds like a fascinating programme.
            ??? The reverse cover (shown in vinty's link - the purple square) doesn't mention this piece. You're right: it does look a good programme.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• silvestrione
              • Jan 2011

Well, unsung heroes no doubt is a fairly ghastly cliche, so understandable that it should have that effect. Unlike Chopin's Bacarolle, a masterpiece without a cliche anywhere, so all the more mystifying to me that that thread could not grind to a halt because it did not start, no-one replied (sorry, apart from Stanfordian, the one who did, for which I'm grateful).

Edit: sorry, this is a reply to post 1411, and refers to a thread in the Our Summer Bal section

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

From the downloaded booklet of IL GIARDINO ARMONICO HAYDN 2032 VOL 3..

All the 2032 series present with little info on the front, Alpha as ever fastidious of their artwork, which is carried through the notes extensively in very free visual association!
                If they really do record all of Haydn's symphonies by 2032 the lack of cover info on single issues may come to seem more regrettable...

...over on the hi-res highway...

Listen to Il Giardino Armonico in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Great spot! Many thanks!

Downloaded the Hi-Res version from Qobuz.

And thanks to RB who alerted us to this project in the first place (I think it was he!).

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                    Well, unsung heroes no doubt is a fairly ghastly cliche, so understandable that it should have that effect. Unlike Chopin's Bacarolle, a masterpiece without a cliche anywhere, so all the more mystifying to me that that thread could not grind to a halt because it did not start, no-one replied (sorry, apart from Stanfordian, the one who did, for which I'm grateful).

Edit: sorry, this is a reply to post 1411, and refers to a thread in the Our Summer Bal section
                    There are many unsung heroes in the music and recording industry, people who are paid a pittance to make it happen - or who do it for enjoyment. This message board is about the baton-wavers however, so let's not bother.

Not sure why that's to blame for the Chopin thread in the Summer BAL misfiring. Very sorry.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      From the downloaded booklet of IL GIARDINO ARMONICO HAYDN 2032 VOL 3..

All the 2032 series present with little info on the front, Alpha as ever fastidious of their artwork, which is carried through the notes extensively in very free visual association!
                      If they really do record all of Haydn's symphonies by 2032 the lack of cover info on single issues may come to seem more regrettable...

...over on the hi-res highway...

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/hay.../3760014196720
                      The information is very important, not least because if I’m still alive in 2032, I’ll be deaf and it would be good to read about what I can’t hear.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        The information is very important, not least because if I’m still alive in 2032, I’ll be deaf and it would be good to read about what I can’t hear.
                        The information is on the cover - just not on the front! (Incidentally, the "outthere music" logo also appears on another of our favourite "discs of the year", BeefO! )
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          The information is on the cover - just not on the front! (Incidentally, the "outthere music" logo also appears on another of our favourite "discs of the year", BeefO! )

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

Why do all period bands go off playing Mozart, Hayden, Beethoven and Brahms instead of searching out the music from earlier time that nobody has heard of and is worth hearing, like AAM and Concerto Köln (used to) do?

(I’ve got my coat)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                              Why do all period bands go off playing Mozart, Hayden, Beethoven and Brahms instead of searching out the music from earlier time that nobody has heard of and is worth hearing, like AAM and Concerto Köln (used to) do?

(I’ve got my coat)
                              Sorry doversoul, but today I was wishing that Il Giardino Armonico and Giovanni Antonini would record some Mozart symphonies

I draw the line at Schumann, though

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

It is lovely, isn't it?
                                Title is from Petrarch, the sonnet is included complete in the booklet.

As with previous volumes, No.42 here is beautifully recorded and very well done of its kind - extremes of tempi and jack-in-the-box dynamics, articulation sur les pointes, physically exciting if at times a bit strait-laced & po-faced.... this band's expressive manoeuvres can seem a bit over-obvious - they want to make you jump out of your chair in the finale, by playing very very quietly and then boo! like this!

Thomas Fey is a deal more affectionate and humorous in this lovable work, finding greater warmth & expressive subtlety from the very start; the Mozartian woodwind variation in the finale really makes you smile, where the quicker Antonini plays it very plain and straight....
                                I fell in love with this symphony through Bruggen's classic OAE account, and it really does respond to that warmer, more leisurely approach. The way he pussyfoots it into the finale is irresistible...!
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-08-16, 06:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X