• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    Hiya EdgeleyRob,

It's an interesting recording as I don't know of any other recordings of Waldo Warner. He was a prize winner in a couple Walter Willson Cobbett’s Phantasy competitions.

Fifth with Phantasy in F Major - 1905 Cobbett Competition for Phantasy String Quartet
    First with Folksong Phantasy in G minor - 1917 Cobbett Competition for a Folksong Phantasy (Quartet section)
    Thanks for that Stan

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

The Karajan EMI orchestral recordings in the latest remastered edititions are to be released, complete in a slip case as a limited edition.

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

The Warner boxes collected together? These are fine quality remasterings, as far as I can tell, e.g. the 1946 VPO Schubert 'Great' C major, the classic Philharmonia Debussy La Mer, both come up really fresh

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          The Warner boxes collected together? These are fine quality remasterings, as far as I can tell, e.g. the 1946 VPO Schubert 'Great' C major, the classic Philharmonia Debussy La Mer, both come up really fresh
          Yes, those ones collected together and put into a big slipcase. I'd post a picture but it might eat too much of my roaming internet allowance.

I only bought the Sibelius and Beethoven sets. Largely because I have that 88 CD 2008 EMI Karajan centenary box set. I didn't find a huge difference in the Beethoven, but the Sibelius has a richer more bodied sound.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            The Karajan EMI orchestral recordings in the latest remastered edititions are to be released, complete in a slip case as a limited edition.
            AAAARRRGGGHHH! The record companies are at it again! I've bought all of the Warner boxes and did think to myself how much better it would have been to have them in one big box. It will no doubt look very enticing but all those loyal mugs who got the individual issues will miss out. Can't one trade them in for the big box?
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              AAAARRRGGGHHH! The record companies are at it again! I've bought all of the Warner boxes and did think to myself how much better it would have been to have them in one big box. It will no doubt look very enticing but all those loyal mugs who got the individual issues will miss out. Can't one trade them in for the big box?
              Email them and ask for a slip case (all the boxes are the same as what you have, placed into a big slip case). I did that once years ago when I collected Karajan's Beethoven cycle (1970s analogue on Galleria) on individual CDs, then they released the box set. They sent me all the white multiple Jewel cases, booklet etc. Worth a try.

(You are only missing the slip case)

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Email them and ask for a slip case (all the boxes are the same as what you have, placed into a big slip case). I did that once years ago when I collected Karajan's Beethoven cycle (1970s analogue on Galleria) on individual CDs, then they released the box set. They sent me all the white multiple Jewel cases, booklet etc. Worth a try.

(You are only missing the slip case)
                I've searched the Warner website and can't find the box mentioned at all. Is there a link? I might try your suggestion.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I've searched the Warner website and can't find the box mentioned at all. Is there a link? I might try your suggestion.
                  Go onto Facebook and search "Herbert von Karajan Appreciation Society". Scroll down the posts til you come to the picture of the box set. It's posted by a chap called Robert Kenchington.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I'm really looking forward to the new cd of Nicola Benedetti playing the Glazunov and DSCH's violin concerti.

Hopefully, it'll arrive Friday.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

(24/88.2 DA CAPO Download (Da Capo). Playback - WAVEs in JRiverMC).

(24/88.2 DA CAPO Download (Qobuz). Playback - WAVEs in JRiverMC/Audirvana+).

FWIW
                      which won't be much
                      these albums show
                      the surest touch
                      in music of brilliance, intensity and
                      TRUTH
                      if you don't bother, yours
                      the RUTH
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 30-06-16, 06:21.

Comment

• PJPJ
                        • Nov 2010

Go onto Facebook and search "Herbert von Karajan Appreciation Society". Scroll down the posts til you come to the picture of the box set. It's posted by a chap called Robert Kenchington.
                        It's a closed group so you will have to join......

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                          It's a closed group so you will have to join......
                          I haven't joined, and I accessed it with no difficulty.

I imagine the way it works is that you can view the postings, but can't participate, unless you join.

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

I haven't joined, and I accessed it with no difficulty.

I imagine the way it works is that you can view the postings, but can't participate, unless you join.
                            How very odd.

Anyway, here are some details from a Japanese site:

Tower Records ▶ヘルベルト・フォン・カラヤン/カラヤン・オフィシャル・リマスター・エディション<受注限定生産盤>2014年に、カラヤンがEMI(現ワーナー)に残した録音が、『カラヤン・オフィシャル・リマスター・エデ

If you click on the picture in the link, you go to Tower Japan where the box is priced (at the moment as currency appears to fluctuate for some reason) at well under £100.
                            Last edited by PJPJ; 30-06-16, 10:32.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                              How very odd.

Anyway, here are some details from a Japanese site:

Tower Records ▶ヘルベルト・フォン・カラヤン/カラヤン・オフィシャル・リマスター・エディション<受注限定生産盤>2014年に、カラヤンがEMI(現ワーナー)に残した録音が、『カラヤン・オフィシャル・リマスター・エデ

If you click on the picture in the link, you go to Tower Japan where the box is priced (at the moment as currency appears to fluctuate for some reason) at well under £100.
                              That's the picture that is posted on Facebook.

Hopefully Petrushka can somehow get his hands on that slipcase, without coughing up £100!!!

Comment

• silvestrione
                                • Jan 2011

That's the picture that is posted on Facebook.

Hopefully Petrushka can somehow get his hands on that slipcase, without coughing up £100!!!
                                Will not be complete then? E.g., I don't think the Philharmonia Tchaikovsky ballet suites, mono and stereo versions, much admired, have appeared yet in a Warner box?

Comment

Working...
                                X