• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... new to me -

Any of our ramellians yet takers?
    Yes, I got it a few weeks ago, Vints. It's good to have a complete recording again. I wouldn't say the performances are outstanding, but certainly a great improvement on the Malgoire set (on LP), which I think was previously the only complete version. The book that comes with the discs is very nicely presented, although I do find that book size format irritating - it won't go in my shelves.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Yes, I got it a few weeks ago, Vints. It's good to have a complete recording again. I wouldn't say the performances are outstanding, but certainly a great improvement on the Malgoire set (on LP), which I think was previously the only complete version. The book that comes with the discs is very nicely presented, although I do find that book size format irritating - it won't go in my shelves.
      Ah, but surely it fits well on the coffee table.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Indeed, yes, Bryn...ideal for impressing visitors!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

New release from DG...

I understand Air France are introducing a new cross-Channel service shortly...

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

That's a Technics SL-1200 isn't it? Is that your turntable, Cal? Last of a noble line...
            ​ Excellent...!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              That's a Technics SL-1200 isn't it? Is that your turntable, Cal? Last of a noble line...
              ​ Excellent...!
              No jayne.... It's a DG publicity shot

No vinyl at Caliban Towers, I'm afraid!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

In gorgeous 24/96 resolution, this is a stunning set which helped get me through a difficult month or two this cold, cold Spring, when I needed the soothing, the sensuous, the melodically exquisite, the truly beautiful. Going back to it since I'm even more impressed by its marriage of ultra-natural transparency and sharp articulation to intensely atmospheric, seductively phrased interpretations, and a coloristically vivid tonal palette. Bringuier inspires a miraculously responsive sound from the Tonhalle, who seem to follow his often new ideas about this so-familiar music devotedly, instinctively. There's a strikingly youthful feel to these performances, many recorded live.
                I've heard all but the complete Daphnis, most of the works several times... Maurice, I can't get enough of your Love...
                For me this is easily the equal of famous anthologies from Paray or Reiner, and a new benchmark.

Fashion Note: Yuja Wang, defying expectation in a maxi skirt on the cover of the individual Ravel Concertos release, is pictured in the booklet here in session with the Tonhalle, wearing all black - a loose top and shiny jeggings.)
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-05-16, 04:00.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Maurice, I can't get enough of your Love...

Jayne - "Really? Please!"

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

In gorgeous 24/96 resolution, this is a stunning set
                    I've been sampling the set on Apple Music and found my only reservation was rather boomy lack of definition at the bass end of the spectrum - but this may be the compromised sound quality on that medium. Where are you getting your sounds - CDs, downloaded, or streamed?

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I understand Air France are introducing a new cross-Channel service shortly...

[/COLOR]
                      Possibly rather more rapid than the service being offered by Eurotunnel this morning. Delays of up to 5 hours.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                        • Dec 2010

In gorgeous 24/96 resolution........
                        For me this is easily the equal of famous anthologies from Paray or Reiner, and a new benchmark.
                        You may wish to note that somewhere in the aether there is a 24/96 download of the Cluytens/Conservatoire set from LP. Not always the best played or the best conducted (although I do very much like the Daphnis et Chloe) but for me the correct orchestral timbres. If not correct, then the ones I grew up with, which will suffice.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          [COLOR="#0000FF"]New release from DG...

There's something baffling me about this: it was a digital recording in the first place. Why would it be a good idea to release it on Vinyl? Please note this is not a rhetorical question or intended to start an argument (there are plenty out there, you know who you are, who like to misinterpret simple posts) but is a request for information about the advantage or otherwise of buying a digital recording on Vinyl.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                            There's something baffling me about this: it was a digital recording in the first place. Why would it be a good idea to release it on Vinyl? Please note this is not a rhetorical question or intended to start an argument (there are plenty out there, you know who you are, who like to misinterpret simple posts) but is a request for information about the advantage or otherwise of buying a digital recording on Vinyl.
                            Good question.

This morning I cleared a space on my hi-fi rack to bring back (third time in 3 years!) my turntable, an entry level Thorens (I have a 1980s Duel somewhere too) and although I don't think any of my vinyl is digital-source, I've been eyeing up one or two things that are.

That's a great photo! There was so much more to vinyl than just the music!

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Good question.

This morning I cleared a space on my hi-fi rack to bring back (third time in 3 years!) my turntable, an entry level Thorens (I have a 1980s Duel somewhere too) and although I don't think any of my vinyl is digital-source, I've been eyeing up one or two things that are.

That's a great photo! There was so much more to vinyl than just the music!
                              I would have thought that plenty of vinyl from around 1980 to the late 80's( at least) was digital source, so bound to be some in your collection?

( I seem to recall that The Beat released the first UK digitally recorded album, but that may be false digital memory syndrome, or hype).
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                I would have thought that plenty of vinyl from around 1980 to the late 80's( at least) was digital source, so bound to be some in your collection?

( I seem to recall that The Beat released the first UK digitally recorded album, but that may be false digital memory syndrome, or hype).
                                Maybe. But for example, my copy of Talk Talk's 'Colour Of Spring' is analogue. Funny enough, when I replaced it with a CD (or added a CD) it was AAD. Sounds much better than the ADD CD (well that's what I tell myself, I've never heard the ADD CD! ).

Comment

Working...
                                X