X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    AAM/Hogwood recorded by Decca but only so far released as a BBC Music Magazine cover disc. Keep your eyes peeled in charity shops.

See also http://www.hogwood.org/archive/compo...76-and-77.html
    Which copy of the BBC MM was that included with? I've probably got it somewhere. I did get the AAM Hogwood set from am.it over a year ago, when it was on offer.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Which copy of the BBC MM was that included with? I've probably got it somewhere. I did get the AAM Hogwood set from am.it over a year ago, when it was on offer.
      According to the item linked to, the May 2005 issue.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Those bemoaning the unavailability of Andre Previn's RVW cycle need only wait a bit longer.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Those bemoaning the unavailability of Andre Previn's RVW cycle need only wait a bit longer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conducts-Vau...ywords=vaughan

It'll be good to hear the late, great Mr. John Fletcher on tuba.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Hiya Petrushka,

That's the best news this year in the classical music world. Previn is some conductor. A Berlin born American with a special affinity for English music.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Hiya Petrushka,

That's the best news this year in the classical music world. Previn is some conductor. A Berlin born American with a special affinity for English music.
              Good news indeed, though now I'm trying to figure out how to get the free postage. Will it work if I pre-order now, and then buy something else for about £6? I don't want everything delayed until April.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

And a nice re-packaging of the Tod Handley/Malcolm Arnold symphonies and more

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Has anyone here yet listened to the London Haydn Quartet's Prussians? I am holding back for the moment since I am very happy with the Festetics in these quartets, and also because I thought the LHQ's Op. 33 set less inspired than their earlier sets. I note they, like the Festetics, use the Artaria edition for the Op. 50s.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    I've always struggled with these recordings despite being a huge Barbirolli fan. I find them very 'dour' and stodgy IMHO.
                    The Second and Third are very good but I have to agree that the First and Fourth are a bit slow for my taste - unlike the live Halle in Prague first which has a real sweep to it .
                    Last edited by Barbirollians; 10-03-16, 01:02.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Has anyone here yet listened to the London Haydn Quartet's Prussians? I am holding back for the moment since I am very happy with the Festetics in these quartets, and also because I thought the LHQ's Op. 33 set less inspired than their earlier sets. I note they, like the Festetics, use the Artaria edition for the Op. 50s.
                      I would recommend them highly, but then I wasn't disappointed by op.33 either.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

The pioneering Mahler 7 Barbirolli conducted with the combined Halle and BBC Northern formerly available on BBC Legends is to make a reappearance on A 2 CD Barbirolli Society set coupled this time with the Nielsen 5 that opened the concert . Barbirolli 's Nielsen 4 has always struck me as very fine so I look forward to this .

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... the second volume of Christophe Rousset's Well Tempered Clavier (scil. 'Vol 1', 'cos he did Vol 2 earlier... ) is now out

Comment

• Radio64
                            • Jan 2014

Clint Mansell's OST to High-Rise the new film adaptation of J G Ballard's novel.

Music & film released today.

"Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

This looks very covetable:

Some of the very greatest Music for String Quartet performed by one of the finest current ensembles on a highly respected label - !

... and is it really twenty years since the Diotimas formed?!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

I look forward to having a listen to those Diotima recordings.

Now, I hope I will be forgiven for drawing attention to this:

It's a double CD and contains three pieces:
                                life-form for cello and electronics (2012) 56'34"
                                nacht und träume for cello, piano and electronics (2007) 22'53"
                                Blattwerk for cello and electronics (2002) 30'51"
                                played by the amazing Arne Deforce, for whom all of this music was written, with Yutaka Oya on piano in the second piece, and the technical support of the Centre Henri Pousseur in Liège; recorded at the Bruges Concertgebouw mostly last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X