X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Oh! Of course! It's the famous recordings of Russian peasant/military songs by the Don Choir, isn't it? (The ones that so impressed Karajan that he later used the choir in his recording of the 1812 Overture?)
    ... o, now you're showing off!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

They're coming thick n' fast this year....

BIS 24/96 or CD, first ever stereo recording of the complete Loup...

Nonesuch 24/96, the work's orchestration finished by Gorecki's son.... (another one to join Mahler 10, Bruckner 9, Enescu 4 & 5....)

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Not sure which thread I last saw mention of Pat Kop on, but her recording of the Tchaikovsky concerto, with its Stravinsky coupling, is Recording of the month in the latest BBC Music Magazine (March), which dropped through the letterbox this morning.

Comment

• AmpH
          • Feb 2012

Bach Complete Sacred Cantatas - Suzuki

Not new releases of course, but news of upcoming boxset :-

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

I'll be buying this release from Ottavio Dantone - the four symphonies of Haydn which will finally plug the gap in my collection. I understand that there is to be a complete box coming soon - they must have been working flat out! And it will at last be the first complete collection of Haydn symphonies on period instruments:

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I'll be buying this release from Ottavio Dantone - the four symphonies of Haydn which will finally plug the gap in my collection. I understand that there is to be a complete box coming soon - they must have been working flat out! And it will at last be the first complete collection of Haydn symphonies on period instruments:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Sympho...=haydn+dantone
              That looks very tempting. As the years go by, I'm liking Haydn more and more. More up to date performances add to my experience. Coincidentally, earlier today I listened to 101 & 104 by Les Musicians du Louvre Grenoble, Marc Minkowski (live recordings).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

The Gramophone's coverline was a touch licentious - the related article (2/2016) makes clear that this cycle is a composite of three different sets: reissues of AAM/Hogwood for 1-77, and O.18thC/Bruggen for 82-104; and the new Accademia Bizantina/Dantone for just the rarely recorded 78-81..!
                So the cover's "finally finished! The first full Haydn Symphony set on period instruments" is well, literally true but stretching an overexcited point, sadly....

Still, having listened to 78 and 79 so far (as a 24/96 download), I'm happy to say a) I don't think I'd ever heard these before, b) No.78 has an incredibly catchy minuet and finale, and c) the performances and the recorded sound are wonderful! I really hope they DO record more...
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-02-16, 16:46.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I am eagerly awaiting the availability of the 320kbps mp3 stream from QOBUZ next Friday. Then I will decide whether or not to go for the high resolution download.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

I'll be buying this release from Ottavio Dantone - the four symphonies of Haydn which will finally plug the gap in my collection.
                    ... many thanks for flagging this up, Micky - yes, a long-awaited and essential purchase!

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    The Gramophone ... article (2/2016) makes clear that this cycle is a composite of three different sets: reissues of AAM/Hogwood for 1-77, and O.18thC/Bruggen for 82-104; and the new Accademia Bizantina/Dantone for just the rarely recorded 79-81..!
                    So the cover's "finally finished! The first full Haydn Symphony set on period instruments" is well, literally true but stretching an overexcited point, sadly...
                    ... and many thanks to jlw for the clarification : it's not a 'complete Haydn' from Ottavio Dantone / Accademia Bizantina that we are to expect, but what I think is called in the antiques trade a 'harlequin set' made up from the ones we already know and love...

But great to have this gap finally filled

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, thank you Jayne for making this clear - I rather thought that a completely new cycle would be hoping for too much!

I look forward to getting these remaining 4 symphonies...I love the final movement of No.79...it makes me smile everytime I hear it and reinforces my belief that Haydn must have been the most genial of men.

As for my own complete set of the symphonies, I have all the symphonies recorded by Hogwood, the remainder being the excellent performances from La Petite Bande. I think I prefer these over Bruggen's versions.
                      Last edited by MickyD; 08-02-16, 16:08.

Comment

• reinerfan
                        • Nov 2010

I have the Hogwood and Bruggen sets, and now the Dantone, but there are still missing Symphonies Nos. 76 and 77. Perhaps these will be recorded by Dantone?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
                          I have the Hogwood and Bruggen sets, and now the Dantone, but there are still missing Symphonies Nos. 76 and 77. Perhaps these will be recorded by Dantone?
                          AAM/Hogwood recorded by Decca but only so far released as a BBC Music Magazine cover disc. Keep your eyes peeled in charity shops.

See also http://www.hogwood.org/archive/compo...76-and-77.html
                          Last edited by Bryn; 21-02-16, 11:33. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            AAM/Hogwood recorded by Decca but only so far released as a BBC Music Magazine cover disc. Keep your eyes peeled in charity shops.

Yes: cheaper than these options, no doubt!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Yes: cheaper than these options, no doubt!
                              http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Symphoni.../dp/B000IJS0U0
                              If you can make do with the data-compressed audio, the recordings have been posted on YouTube.

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3DJdSZupw

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Oh, and on the subject ot AAM/Hogwood Haydn, don't forget that rather less than perfect live recordings of Symphonies 79 and 81 may be found on YouTube.

plus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUqwuLDQRmw etc.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 21-02-16, 16:09. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                                X