X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterkin
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I see that in the latest Eloquence round that as well as the Anja Thauer and Monteux Beethoven they are re releasing Peter Katin's recordings of Eachmaninov 1 and 2 and Tchaikovsky - rather a shame they did not do this whilst he was alive.
    Any views on the Monteux.I know the 9th but none of the rest.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Forgive me if these have been mentioned already, but there are two chamber boxes (commodes?) on the horizon:

Complete Quartetto Italiano (Decca, Philips,DG), 20th Nov:

Complete Busch Quartet/Adolf Busch ('Warner'), 6th Nov:

Adolf Busch & The Busch Quartet: The Complete Warner Recordings. Warner Classics: 2564601931. Buy 16 CDs online. Adolf Busch (violin) The Busch Quartet

I imagine the former might be available more cheaply come the time, but the latter on offer seems quite a bargain.
      I might have been interested did I not already have most of the recordings included. Both look like must haves for those who do not.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Available as download only,

a simply marvellous Barbican performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto 2 with Pires and LSO/Haitink

I was present at one of the performances and assumed the microphones were there just for the already issued Bruckner 9.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Available as download only,

a simply marvellous Barbican performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto 2 with Pires and LSO/Haitink

I was present at one of the performances and assumed the microphones were there just for the already issued Bruckner 9.
          Presumably on the LSO Live site? I will investigate forthwith but wonder if it will emerge as a CD in time. I too was present at one of the performances (was it the same one?) and it was a wonderful concert.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Presumably on the LSO Live site? I will investigate forthwith but wonder if it will emerge as a CD in time. I too was present at one of the performances (was it the same one?) and it was a wonderful concert.
            I know I went on a Sunday; you might have gone a few days earlier ??

It was the occasion a rat was seen in the Barbican during the third movement of Bruckner 9!

It's on I tunes for £3.49, what a bargain! Profound middle movement.
            Last edited by Alison; 15-10-15, 23:25.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

I know I went on a Sunday; you might have gone a few days earlier ??

It was the occasion a rat was seen in the Barbican during the third movement of Bruckner 9!

It's on I tunes for £3.49, what a bargain! Profound middle movement.
              Hiya Alison,

If the late George Solti had been on the podium the rat would have quickly scarpered.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                Hiya Alison,

If the late George Solti had been on the podium the rat would have quickly scarpered.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Maybe only for Nielsen fanatics but I've just received my copy of this relatively recent set from MDT (rather cheaper than anyone else):

I've only dipped into it but the re-masterings appear to have been well done (the 1950 Erik Tuxen HMV 5th sounds better than on the 80s LP version I have). The Tor Mann Swedish recordings are also of great interest.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Has anyone invested in or sampled the recent Scriabin symphonies from Gergiev and/or Petrenko?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Has anyone invested in or sampled the recent Scriabin symphonies from Gergiev and/or Petrenko?
                      No but Andrew McGregor was not too keen on either on CD Review the other week . Still surprised Warner have not reissued the Muti this year.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks, I see that 'episode' is still available online.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          No but Andrew McGregor was not too keen on either on CD Review the other week . Still surprised Warner have not reissued the Muti this year.
                          Hiya Barbirollians,

I've reviewed both new releases and although I still admire the Philadelphia/Muti very much I plumped for the LSO/Gergiev over the Oslo PO/Petrenko. I think the Gergiev is stunningly performed with significant visceral power and colour and sounds excellent. In the process I came across the NYO under Sinopoli from 1988 which is exceptional too. The overall quality of all those accounts that I heard is agreeably high.

In addition the new Beethoven 5 & 7 from the Pittsburgh/Honeck on Reference Recordings is excellent too. I find everything from this partnership worthy of attention.
                          Last edited by Stanfordian; 29-11-15, 11:45.

Comment

• mahlerei
                            • Jun 2015

Hi Alison

Have reviewed them both at the usual place and wouldn't touch either with a barge pole. Muti still holds say (Warner and Brilliant) and Pletnev's Pentatone disc of 1 & 4 augurs well for the rest of his cycle.

Comment

• Roehre

Interestingly contradictive opinions here

Comment

• soileduk
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
                                Hi Alison

Have reviewed them both at the usual place and wouldn't touch either with a barge pole. Muti still holds say (Warner and Brilliant) and Pletnev's Pentatone disc of 1 & 4 augurs well for the rest of his cycle.
                                I agree, for what it's worth to anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X