X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

An exciting looking new disc from Jos Van Immerseel and Anima Eterna, doing Ravel's Ma mère l'oye and Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition.

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

Something to look forward to, and it's SACD, and it's Vol 1

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
        Something to look forward to, and it's SACD, and it's Vol 1

Please note: Most (methinks: all) orchestral music of Larsson's in available on BIS, his 3 symphonies (i.e. including the restored first) on 2 BIS CDs.

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Please note: Most (methinks: all) orchestral music of Larsson's in available on BIS, his 3 symphonies (i.e. including the restored first) on 2 BIS CDs.
          And also these delightful works - highly recommended:

Larsson - Concertinos

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            An exciting looking new disc from Jos Van Immerseel and Anima Eterna, doing Ravel's Ma mère l'oye and Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ma-mere-oye-...avel+immerseel
            This has been available in France since early March. My only (minor) gripe is that it's rather short measure (49'27") - and Mother Goose is the Suite rather than the complete ballet. As usual with this combination of a sensitive and intelligent musician/conductor (it's all about the music, not the maestro) and his highly skilled players, the results return clarity to the music, which provides some moments of revelation. If one's ideal in this music is, say, Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or Maazel in Berlin, it might prove to be a bit of a shock but that surely is part of the intention, i.e. to have one listen to the music with fresh ears.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              This has been available in France since early March. My only (minor) gripe is that it's rather short measure (49'27") - and Mother Goose is the Suite rather than the complete ballet. As usual with this combination of a sensitive and intelligent musician/conductor (it's all about the music, not the maestro) and his highly skilled players, the results return clarity to the music, which provides some moments of revelation. If one's ideal in this music is, say, Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or Maazel in Berlin, it might prove to be a bit of a shock but that surely is part of the intention, i.e. to have one listen to the music with fresh ears.
              Ah, you have already sampled it, Dougie. I think I will go for it, having enjoyed Immerseel's other Ravel disc immensely - but I agree, under 50 minutes is stingy to say the least. We could have had "Night on the Bare Mountain" as a filler, for example.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Already available as a Download (and very good it sounds too), the following is on the point of release:

Ed Gardner seeks to be on something of a roll - along with his recent Mendelssohn and Bartok (plus Lutoslawski etc etc), this Walton is - so far - very good (I haven't listened to the VC yet). Maybe he might take up Vaughan-Williams - and Tippett - in due course.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Already available as a Download (and very good it sounds too), the following is on the point of release:

Ed Gardner seeks to be on something of a roll - along with his recent Mendelssohn and Bartok (plus Lutoslawski etc etc), this Walton is - so far - very good (I haven't listened to the VC yet). Maybe he might take up Vaughan-Williams - and Tippett - in due course.
                  The same can't be said for the album cover: Gardner giving it his best moody 'black jeans-black loafers, white-shirt, open-collar, rolled-up sleeves' look. Who knew Walton was so 'smart-casual'.

O for Hyperion's more reflective, less egocentric paintings...
                  It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    ... rolled-up sleeves ...

O for Hyperion's more reflective, less egocentric paintings...

And not properly rolled up at that. Don't know what his mother would say.

Not a cover that would entice me to buy.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      One would think that the composer was an irrelevance to judge from that. Far rather see this:

Comment

• Don Petter

Note that the BBC Radio 3 logo lies easily with the cult of the individual over the works themselves.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Not in full SACD definition, of course, but both recordings were featured during Afternoon on 3 this week (Monday and Tuesday). I think I might just be happy with 320kbps aac. If really taken with the performances, the SACD may well find its way here too.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

And not properly rolled up at that. Don't know what his mother would say.

No but then you don't play the cover!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              No but then you don't play the cover!
                              Cloughie - thanks - the voice of common sense. I'd always thought that people bought (classical) CDs on the basis of the work and the performance, rather than the cover. Clearly I'm wrong. One benefit of buying downloads is that you don't really need to look at the cover, although it's there if you really want to sit and gaze at it, rather than listen to the music. Nor is there anything particularly new about "the cult of the individual" in relation to classical LP covers - my collection of early 1950s LPs has examples of photographs of, variously, Erich Kleiber, Otto Klemperer and - perhaps unsurprisingly - HvK plastered over the front of a fair number of them.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Note that the BBC Radio 3 logo lies easily with the cult of the individual over the works themselves.
                                Ah yes, the downtrodden Radio 3 logo.

Comment

Working...
                                X