• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Dave, I think that the new box gives a much better representation of CPE than the DHM one...
    Now he tells me!

Actually, I have just encountered the Magnificat on the DHM box - that made me sit up! Worth the money my partner paid for the box on its own. (And the rest isn't at all "bad". Just not all of the same high quality.)

So - thirty quid for 50 CDs should be next?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Sorry, fhg...I didn't know about that other box until Dave flagged it up! But I think you have made a good buy with that DHM box for the vintage performance of the Magnificat alone. If I were in your shoes, I would go for that other Warner CPE Bach set, more manageable on 13 CDs and with some really fine artists on board, some of the best recordings I know:

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Sorry, fhg...I didn't know about that other box until Dave flagged it up! But I think you have made a good buy with that DHM box for the vintage performance of the Magnificat alone. If I were in your shoes, I would go for that other Warner CPE Bach set, more manageable on 13 CDs and with some really fine artists on board, some of the best recordings I know:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cpe-Bach-Col...words=cpe+bach
        MickyD

Do you mean a Warner box? The one you have linked to is the Brilliant 300th Anniversary box.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
          • Nov 2011

I've been collecting Marek Janowski's new recordings of the Henze symphonies. Early last year I emailed Wergo to enquire when the final volumes would become available. They replied to tell me that the 1st and 6th symphonies would be released in summer 2013, with numbers 2 and 10 planned in 2014 to complete the cycle.

In an example of excellent customer relations, I got an email this morning, with this message: The eagerly awaited complete recording of Hans Werner Henze's symphonies has now been finalized with Symphonies Nos. 2 and 10. This new Henze CD will be released on 10th March in England and Ireland.

I've preempted the release here and have now ordered the CD direct from Wergo. It's been a great project so far, with Marek Janowski in top form with the excellent Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin. I'm really looking forward to listening to this final instalment, especially since I'm unfamiliar with the 10th symphony.
          Last edited by DublinJimbo; 16-02-14, 18:25.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            MickyD

Do you mean a Warner box? The one you have linked to is the Brilliant 300th Anniversary box.
            Ummm, not as far as I can see, Dave...the link should take you to the 13 CD Warner box.. I just tried it again and it seems to work.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Current e-classical.com discount FLAC downloads of forthcoming/new BIS/Harmonia Mundi releases include the Freiburg Brandenburgs:

Download Classical Music in lossless High Resolution FLAC & MP3 formats, and learn about Classical Music. Refund Policy, No DRM protection and pricing is per second.

and Thomas Adès's very attractive Violin Concerto

Composed in 2005, Thomas Adès’s violin concerto ‘Concentric Paths’ has rapidly become a favourite with both audiences and performers. Displaying a constant growth

The Adès is pretty short, hence the low price (about £3.50). Latest Matthias Goerne Schubert - and Mark Wigglesworth's DSCH 15th also available.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Ummm, not as far as I can see, Dave...the link should take you to the 13 CD Warner box.. I just tried it again and it seems to work.
                Mea Culpa. I didn't look closely enough. Thanks - but I've got it on order anyway!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Leonard Bernstein Collection - DG

Leonard Bernstein Collection - Volume 1 - http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4791047

60 CDs - around £80 -

Available around 24th March.
                  Last edited by Dave2002; 20-02-14, 09:24.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

David Zinman Symphony Box

David Zinman - the Great Symphonies - the Zurich Years 50 CD box - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...41_em_sim_3_im

Priced around £50 available March 24th.

As yet I can't find a completely detailed listing of the new symphony box set, though basically it appears to contain complete sets of Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert and Schumann symphonies, plus some works by Richard Strauss, and a miscellany of works by Haydn, Hummel, Mozart and Wagner.

Not sure about all the recordings/performances. I think some of the Mahler symphonies were good, and available in SACD format.
                    The Mahler SACDs are available in a 15 disc box, which sells for more than the price of this new collection - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RCA/88697727232

This box from Sony appears to collect together recordings from both RCA and Arte Nova. Zinman's Beethoven recordings are good, and were probably only ever available as CDs, which I think also applies to many of the other recorded performances in this 50CD box, with the exception of the Mahler symphonies.

Zinman also appears also to have performed Das Lied von der Erde (2012 ...) and recorded it, and it is also an about to be released hybrid CD/SACD recording from Sony (12th March), but details of that are very limited right now, and I only found these by serendipity - http://cdon.eu/music/david_zinman/ma..._buso-26454603

Anyone who wants SACD sound quality will probably prefer to have the 15 disc Mahler box, but CD collectors should find this box worth having.
                    Last edited by Dave2002; 20-02-14, 09:23.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Philippe Entremont - 80th Birthday Box

A box set of recordings by Philippe Entremont will be released by Sony in April - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...41_em_sim_4_im It contains 19 CDs and is priced at around £23.

This contains many of the usual suspects, including all of the Saint-Saëns piano concertos, with duplicate versions of 2 and 4. There are also recordings of works by Jolivet, Milhaud, and Katchaturian.

The box cover shows a young Entremont. The box is being issued to celebrate his 80th birthday. It is perhaps a pity that there are only a couple of Mozart concertos included.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Leonard Bernstein Collection - Volume 1 - http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4791047

60 CDs - around £80 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...41_em_sim_1_ti

Available around 24th March.
                        Did you input that second link via a Mac, by any chance, Dave?

Let's try this.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Did you input that second link via a Mac, by any chance, Dave?

Let's try this.
                          B***er! Actually that's not what happened - not the Mac's fault. I posted (several items) under the wrong heading/thread, and then copied the posts back into this correct one and deleted the posts from the incorrect thread. In so doing - as you perhaps know - some of the details get lost so the links fail. Will fix if I can.
                          Last edited by Dave2002; 20-02-14, 09:27.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Giulini released April 14 about £31.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...578113&sr=1-11 Belcea Quartet, Beethoven Quartets, about £22, released March 31st

Label: Zig Zag Territoires (I thought some of their recordings were for EMI!)

The price of the Bernstein box seems to have drifted up nearly £20. (msgs 818, 821) - pity!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...578113&sr=1-11 Belcea Quartet, Beethoven Quartets, about £22, released March 31st

Label: Zig Zag Territoires (I thought some of their recordings were for EMI!) ...
                              Not any of these 'live' Beethoven recordings, which were originally issued as two separate boxed sets (for around the same price each as that of this new complete set).

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Not any of these 'live' Beethoven recordings, which were originally issued as two separate boxed sets (for around the same price each as that of this new complete set).
                                The Zig-Zag live cycle is well worth investigating. Especially at bargain price!

Comment

Working...
                                X