X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Is this likely to be of any interest for CPE Bach enthusiasts/collectors? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cpe-Bach-Col...words=cpe+bach

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Some more interesting new releases I saw on Amazon today

Sudbin in Beethoven 3 and I think K491 with the Minnesota Orchestra and Vanska, Jurowski and the LPO after a long gap complete their Brahms cycle and after her acclaimed Elgar Alisa Weilerstein in the Dvorak Concerto with the Czech PO and Belohlavek .

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Bruckner 9 from Bernard Haitink and the LSO out on Monday.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Bruckner 9 from Bernard Haitink and the LSO out on Monday.
          Ordered already, Alison, together with Claudio Abbado's final recording - Mozart Piano Concertos 20 & 25 with Martha Argerich. A year a week on Monday since I was present at the Haitink.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ostuni
            • Nov 2010

Beethoven piano trios: the Archduke and op 70/2, from Melnikov (on a Graff), Faust & Queyras, Harmonia Mundi. Also due out Monday.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
              Beethoven piano trios: the Archduke and op 70/2, from Melnikov (on a Graff), Faust & Queyras, Harmonia Mundi. Also due out Monday.
              I didn't realise before that Beethoven's "first" works are piano trios, though apparently his Opus 1 isn't really!

Below is a list of Beethoven's piano trios, extracted from a well known source.

Opus 1: Three Piano Trios (1795)
              No. 1: Piano Trio No. 1 in E-flat major
              No. 2: Piano Trio No. 2 in G major
              No. 3: Piano Trio No. 3 in C minor
              Opus 11: Piano Trio [No. 4](?) in B-flat major ("Gassenhauer") (1797)
              Opus 44: Variations on an original theme in E-flat major
              Opus 70: Two Piano Trios (1808)
              No. 1: Piano Trio [No. 5](?) in D major, "Ghost"
              No. 2: Piano Trio [No. 6](?) in E-flat major
              Opus 97: Piano Trio [No. 7](?) in B-flat major ("Archduke") (1811)
              Opus 121a: Kakadu Variations, for Piano Trio (Variations on "Ich bin der Schneider Kakadu") (1803)

The numbering is uncertain, as the Op 11 trio started off as a trio with wind instruments - but with optional scoring.
              Currently I'm reminding myself of Op 70 No 2 - which doesn't have a well known name. http://open.spotify.com/track/4eco9j6ezsz3NWz8cIPG3S

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I didn't realise before that Beethoven's "first" works are piano trios, though apparently his Opus 1 isn't really!

Below is a list of Beethoven's piano trios, extracted from a well known source.

Opus 1: Three Piano Trios (1795)
                No. 1: Piano Trio No. 1 in E-flat major
                No. 2: Piano Trio No. 2 in G major
                No. 3: Piano Trio No. 3 in C minor
                Opus 11: Piano Trio [no.4] (?) in B-flat major ("Gassenhauer") (1797)
                Opus 44: Variations on an original theme in E-flat major
                No. 1: Piano Trio [No. 5] (?) in D major, "Ghost"
                No. 2: Piano Trio [No. 6] (?) in E-flat major
                Opus 97: Piano Trio [No. 7](?) in B-flat major ("Archduke") (1811)
                Opus 121a: Kakadu Variations, for Piano Trio (Variations on "Ich bin der Schneider Kakadu") (1803)

The numbering is uncertain, as the Op 11 trio started off as a trio with wind instruments - but with optional scoring.
                Currently I'm reminding myself of Op 70 No 2 - which doesn't have a well known name. http://open.spotify.com/track/4eco9j6ezsz3NWz8cIPG3S
                The numbering of the Beethoven piano trios is a bit confusing.
                The trios opus 1 are the very first works which Beethoven considered to be worthy of getting an opus number, but these aren't his very first published works either. That's a variation set on a March by Dressler, WoO 63, from 1784 iirc.

A complication with the trio numbering is the fact that the trio opus 11, is for clarinet or violin, cello and piano.
                Therefore it is omitted in the numbering.
                Hence:
                3 trios op.1 = trios nos 1-3
                2 trios opus 70 = trios 4 & 5
                Archduke trio op.97 = trio 6

But the list is not complete. It should be:
                Hess 48: Movement for piano trio in E-flat (1790) (a complete movt among the first extensive sketches for the opus 1 trios)
                WoO 38 Piano trio in E-flat (1792; an omitted trio likely originally meant for opus 1)
                Opus 1: Three Piano Trios (published 1795)
                *No. 1: Piano Trio No. 1 in E-flat major
                *No. 2: Piano Trio No. 2 in G major
                *No. 3: Piano Trio No. 3 in C minor
                Opus 11: Piano Trio in B-flat major ("Gassenhauer") (1797)
                Opus 36a: Piano trio after Symphony no.2 (Beethoven's own transcription)
                Opus 38: Piano trio after the Septet opus 20 for clarinet or violin, cello and piano (Beethoven's own transcription)
                Opus 44: Variations on an original theme in E-flat major (1800)
                *No. 1: Piano Trio No. 4 in D major, "Ghost"
                *No. 2: Piano Trio No. 5 in E-flat major
                Opus 97: Piano Trio No. 6 in B-flat major ("Archduke") (1811)
                WoO 39 Piano trio in B-flat in one movement for Bettina von Brentano (1812)

Opus 63: piano trio after string quintet opus 4 / wind octet op.103. this work might be an arrangement by Beethoven, but there are severe doubts regarding its authorship and as such considered to be spurious

WoO Anh.3 Rondo for piano trio in D. Beethoven's authorship doubtful, but so far neither confirmed or firmly to be rejected.

Philips' Beaux Arts recordings consist of all piano trios except for op.63 and Anh.3
                Philips originally numbered the trios from 1 to 11, confusingly opus 44 being trio no.10 and op.121a no.11

[I also posted this in the Reference Library thread]
                Last edited by Guest; 09-02-14, 13:20.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Some more interesting new releases I saw on Amazon today

Sudbin in Beethoven 3 and I think K491 with the Minnesota Orchestra and Vanska, Jurowski and the LPO after a long gap complete their Brahms cycle and after her acclaimed Elgar Alisa Weilerstein in the Dvorak Concerto with the Czech PO and Belohlavek .
                  I have the Sudbin/Vanska Beethoven 4/5 coupling. It's nice to see 3 being released. I wonder if they were able to finish the cycle before the implosion of the Minnesota Orchestra and the departure of Vanska.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Is this likely to be of any interest for CPE Bach enthusiasts/collectors? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cpe-Bach-Col...words=cpe+bach
                    Judging by the top names on the box, Dave, yes, I should think this will be a real bargain. I have all of Koopman's CPE Bach recordings for Erato, and very good they are too...he did all the flute concertos, some keyboard concertos, oboe concertos and some symphonies. What a pity Amazon hasn't given us the details of the contents.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      Judging by the top names on the box, Dave, yes, I should think this will be a real bargain. I have all of Koopman's CPE Bach recordings for Erato, and very good they are too...he did all the flute concertos, some keyboard concertos, oboe concertos and some symphonies. What a pity Amazon hasn't given us the details of the contents.
                      More details here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/W...ics/2564634927
                      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Thank you, Thropps...very useful. I have all those discs separately except for the Tachezi organ sonatas...a pity there is no single copy of those. But other readers needn't hesitate, these are some of the most exciting and passionate performances of CPE to be had.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

There seems to be a slight overlap with the Deutsche HM set, but it's not a great deal. I'm not sure that I'm persuaded sufficiently to go for the new box, even at Amazon's pre-order price.

Some of the contents can probably be found on Spotify, such as this - http://open.spotify.com/track/66uMZo2WrNSWKNv11qDAAt - I think most of the CDs have been issued before. However the opening of that is sufficiently beautiful to possibly make me reconsider.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Dave, I think that the new box gives a much better representation of CPE than the DHM one...and the roster of artists, Koopman, Leonhardt, Biljsma etc in classic recordings would be hard to beat.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              I have the Sudbin/Vanska Beethoven 4/5 coupling. It's nice to see 3 being released. I wonder if they were able to finish the cycle before the implosion of the Minnesota Orchestra and the departure of Vanska.
                              Unfortunately not. Robert von Bahr, BIS boss, had this to say in a recent email announcing the release of the Beethoven: "Very unfortunately, [we] kiss goodbye to the finalizing of the Beethoven Piano Concertos with our genius Yevgeny Sudbin, The Minnesota Orchestra under Osmo Vänskä — this cycle will be finished in Finland with the Tapiola Sinfonietta.

So, if nothing short of a wonder happens, this is the last SACD in the great co-operation that has been ours in Minnesota — a great pity indeed.
                              "

The other cycle which fell victim to the Minnesota lock-out is the Sibelius symphony project (2 & 5, 1 & 4 are all that we will get).

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

How good to report the imminent release in the Icon series, a box devoted to Sir Malcolm Sargent.

Contents:

Beethoven: Symphonie Nr. 3
                                +Schubert: Symphonie Nr. 8 "Unvollendete"
                                +Rossini: Wilhelm Tell-Ouvertüre; Scala di Seta-Ouvertüre; Viaggio a Reims-Ouvertüre; Semiramide-Ouvertüre
                                +Berlioz: La Carnaval romain-Ouvertüre
                                +Mendelssohn: Elias op. 70; Die Hebriden-Ouvertüre op. 26
                                +Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg-Ouvertüre
                                +Rossini / Chopin / Sargent: La Boutique fantasque-Suite
                                +Dohnanyi: Orchestersuite op. 19 fis-moll
                                +Ibert: Suite elisabethiane
                                +Händel / Sargent: Der Messias; Ouvertüre d-moll
                                +Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius op. 38; Enigma-Variations op. 36; Serenade e-moll op. 20
                                +Delius: A Song before Sunrise; Songs of Farewell
                                +Walton; Belshazzar's Feast
                                +Parry: Jerusalem
                                +Arne: Rule Britannia
                                +The National Anthem (arr. Elgar)
                                +Vaughan Williams: The Wasps-Ouvertüre; Fantasia on Greensleeves; Fantasy on a Theme by ThomasTallis; Serenade to Music; Toward the unknown region; Romanze D-Dur für Harmonika, Streicher & Klavier
                                +Holst: St. Paul's-Suite op. 29 Nr. 2; Ballettmusik "The perfect Fool" op. 39; Beni Mora-Suite op. 29 Nr. 1; The Planets op. 32
                                +Coleridge-Taylor: Hiawatha's Wedding Feast op. 30 Nr. 1
                                +German: Henry VIII; Nell Gwynn
                                +Warlock: Capriol Suite
                                +Britten: Simple Symphony op. 4; A young Person's Guide to the Orchestra op. 34
                                +Walton: Symphonie Nr. 1 b-moll; Facade-Suite
                                +Bax: Morning Song
                                +Bliss: Klavierkonzert
                                +Rubbra: Klavierkonzert op. 85
                                +Sibelius: Symphonien Nr. 1 & 5; Pojohlas Tochter op. 49; Finlandia op. 26; En saga op. 9; Der Schwan von Tuonela; Karelia-Suite op. 11
                                +Grieg: Lyrische Suite op. 54
                                +Smetana: Die verkaufte Braut-Ouvertüre; Mein Vaterland

Künstler: Denis Matthews, Harriet Cohen, Gladys Ripley, Marjorie Thomas, Richard Lewis, Elsie Morison, Larry Adler, Arda Mandikian, Isobel Baillie, Huddersfield Choral Society, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Wiener Philharmoniker, Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Pro Arte Orchestra, Malcolm Sargent

Warner Sargent

PS Also for release in early April are an 8 disc set with Annie Fischer and in June or April a 9 disc one with Janos Starker.

Annie Fischer:

Mozart: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 20-24, 27
                                +Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 8, 14, 18, 21, 24, 30, 32
                                +Schubert: Impromptus D. 935 Nr. 2 & 4; Klaviersonate D. 960
                                +Schumann: Klaierkonzert op. 54; Fantasie C-Dur op. 17; Carnaval op. 9; Kinderszenen op. 15; Kreisleriana op. 16
                                +Liszt: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1
                                Bartok: Klavierkonzert Nr. 3
                                Künstler: Annie Fischer, London Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra, Igor Markevitch, Otto Klemperer, Wolfgang Sawallisch, Adrian Boult

Janos Starker:

Bach: Suiten BWV 1007-1012 für Cello solo
                                +Kodaly: Sonate op. 8 für Cello solo
                                +Boccherini: Cellokonzert B-Dur G. 482
                                +Haydn: Cellokonzert Nr. 2 d-Dur
                                +Schumann: Cellokonzert a-moll op. 129
                                +Saint-Saens: Cellokonzert Nr. 1 a-moll op. 33
                                +Dvorak: Cellokonzert h-moll op. 104
                                +Dohnanyi: Konzertstück D-Dur op. 12 für Cello & Orchester
                                +Faure: Elegie c-moll op. 24 für Cello & Orchester
                                +Milhaud: Cellokonzert Nr. 1 op. 136
                                +Prokofieff: Cellokonzert e-moll op. 58
                                +Brahms: Cellosonaten Nr. 1 & 2
                                +Beethoven: Cellosonaten Nr. 1-5
                                +Werke für Cello & Klavier von Bach, Kreisler, Saint-Saens, Debussy, Chopin, Popper, Schubert, Mussorgsky, Schumann, Tscherepnin, Paganini
                                Künstler: Janos Starker, Gerald Moore, György Sebök, Philharmonia Orchestra, Carlo Maria Giulini, Walter Susskind

Details from jpc.de
                                Last edited by PJPJ; 12-02-14, 11:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X