• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    There is reference elsewhere on the web to it being the Festival Hall
    Makes sense. Ms. Watts' microphone tends to get overloaded at times, by the way.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      The very sparse information merely offers "London" with the date "16.11.1961", and claims it to be the first professional public performance of the work in the U.K..
      Not forgetting Boult's 1947 live broadcast of Mahler 3 (on Testament) - which was the first professional performance of the work in the UK. Horenstein's 1961 performance seems to be the first professional concert performance. Semantics I know - it's good to have both of them.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        The pit-fall is that it means the symphony being spit over the two CDs after the 4th movement. Not, by any means, the most musical solution. I intend to rip, edit and burn with the CD change coming after Part 1, rather than half way through Part 2.

Anyone know the venue? The very sparse information merely offers "London" with the date "16.11.1961", and claims it to be the first professional public performance of the work in the U.K.

The mono sound is indeed pretty good for a live recording of the vintage, (the discs arrived this afternoon).
        A good solution Bryn - thanks

Comment

• Roehre

David Matthews ' Symphony 7

Bax' Symphony in F (rev.yates)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Thanks Roehre.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

yes thanks Roehre.
              And with Xmas just around the corner....
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Thanks for this. Good to see more David Matthews on CD (and download!). Perhaps after Christmas.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I see Van Beinum's Bruckner's 5/7/8/9 are out on Aus Eloquence.

Last edited by cloughie; 19-12-13, 14:52.

Comment

• LaurieWatt
                    • Nov 2010

Weather warning on Petrenko Rach 1!

I have just acquired the Petrenko recording with his RLPO of Rachmaninov, Symphony No 1. It has been superlatively reviewed - record of the month in BBC Music Magazine - and it is undoubtedly a fine performance and recording SAVE in one absolutely crucial respect to tam-tam lovers like me; I know of no recording where this instrument, which has such a starring role at the end of the last movement, is so underplayed. The first appearance nearly passed me by and the last supposedly big crashes are mostly pathetic. What a disappointment in such an otherwise fine performance!
                    Happy Christmas everybody.

Comment

• soileduk
                      • Nov 2010

I see Dutton have linked up with those 'skinners' Linn. £18.00 for the 24/96 download.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I see Van Beinum's Bruckner's 5/7/8/9 are out on Aus Eloquence.

http://www.buywell.com/cgi-bin/buywe...c&mv_arg=16247
                        Well-spotted cloughie - let's hope they get a UK release soon

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Well-spotted cloughie - let's hope they get a UK release soon
                          The release is Jan 20.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            First purchase of 2014?

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

I've recently been sent some limited details of a set called the Westminster Legacy Collectors Edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...43023271_em_ti This will be available from Amazon in a few days.

There appear to be several other sets with similar names, which were available in 2013. Some were delivered from Korea.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Westminster/DG40030 (65 CDs)

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Westminster/DG40020 (59 CDs) - chamber music

There are some performances by Clara Haskil in the chamber music oriented set.

I'm not sure that either of the boxes above are attractive, particularly at the prices delivered via Korea.
                              The new box from Amazon might be more interesting. Details are difficult to find at present.

I'm somewhat doubtful about these sets, though others may find them of interest, and could perhaps also explain why they might be.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                I've recently been sent some limited details of a set called the Westminster Legacy Collectors Edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...43023271_em_ti This will be available from Amazon in a few days.

There appear to be several other sets with similar names, which were available in 2013. Some were delivered from Korea.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Westminster/DG40030 (65 CDs)

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Westminster/DG40020 (59 CDs) - chamber music

There are some performances by Clara Haskil in the chamber music oriented set.

I'm not sure that either of the boxes above are attractive, particularly at the prices delivered via Korea.
                                The new box from Amazon might be more interesting. Details are difficult to find at present.

I'm somewhat doubtful about these sets, though others may find them of interest, and could perhaps also explain why they might be.
                                Content details of the new DG box:

Comment

Working...
                                X