X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I purchased the download of the Pacifica Qt that DublinJIm recommended, and it didn't successfully download. i am contacting Cedille's web master, but this is an example of why I dislike downloads.
    This seems like yet another example of "faff" factors colouring our issues. I buy downloads when they're cheap, and I think they might be good value. Some faff arises from:

1. Gapless playback not working properly, and poor track arrangements in downloads.
    2. Poor meta data, and track ordering, so that tracks play out of order.
    3. Lack of notes and covers etc. I know this is not always the case, and that some companies provide notes on web sites, but it's extra bother.
    4. Sound quality is a factor - but given that I make a conscious decision re costs, it's not usually that significant. If costs are similar I nearly always buy the CD, SACD whatever.
    5. Another factor, which might have affected some, is loss of downloads, or loss of access to downloads. For a long while it was impossible or
    very difficult to upload from an iPod or iPad back to a computer - thanks Apple! Now there are workarounds.

I even stalled ripping all my CD collection, as, at times, it is easier to just put a CD in and play (though at other times the effort of going to the "storage" area, climbing over chairs, boxes etc., and then trying to find the CD exceeds that considerably ... |||)

Back to the Techie area, and I'll try to keep back on topic in this one from now on - for a while, at least.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Hmm, given the reported problems with the Pacifica downloads, I think I might stick to the Radio 3 HDS from Wigmore Hall re. the late Shostakovich quartets, and rely on the Kronos for the Schnittke for the time being.

Hmm. I note that amazon.co.uk have the CDs + mp3 downloads for a tenner, or just the mp3s for £14.98. Decisions, decisions.

Ah well, I decided to chance the Cedille download route. Looks like it's going to take an hour or so to download both zips at the rate it's going.

'CD 1' 96/24 zip successfully downloaded, FLACs extracted and converted to WAV. 'CD 2' 96/24 zip now downloading. Currently about 10% of the way through. Now to decide what form of dither and noise shaping to use for CD-R versions for use in the car, etc.
      Last edited by Bryn; 21-11-13, 14:59.

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

the metadata/naming of tracks issue is almost worthy of a thread in itself. To think that simply "what and how you call stuff" could be such an issue when technology has enabled me to beam pretty high quality recorded music around the house star trek style, is all all a bit tiring to be honest. Oh for an "industry standard"? Or maybe just a record deck. Getting up every 22 minutes to turn the vinyl over surely qualifies as exercise?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Pacifica DSCH Vol 4 now successfully downloaded, unzipped and unFLACced.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

'CD 1' 96/24 zip successfully downloaded, FLACs extracted and converted to WAV. 'CD 2' 96/24 zip now downloading. Currently about 10% of the way through. Now to decide what form of dither and noise shaping to use for CD-R versions for use in the car, etc.
            ... I knew there was a reason I bought CDs.

I insert them into the machine and listen to them...

Comment

• DublinJimbo
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              I purchased the download of the Pacifica Qt that DublinJIm recommended, and it didn't successfully download. i am contacting Cedille's web master, but this is an example of why I dislike downloads.
              Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              My - so far sole - purchase of an earlier volume from this series resulted in the same experience as Richard and it took Cedille some time to respond (and, in fairness, apologise and supply the missing file). I don't think, though, that Cedille's pretty basic download service should necessarily jaundice anyone against downloads in general as the service provided by, inter alia, e-classical, Qobuz, Hyperion, and, God help us, Apple is by now pretty slick and seamless. When things go wrong (very rarely in my experience), they tend to get put right very quickly. And it's such an easy way to access a vast wealth of music, after all.
              I must admit to some trepidation when I reached the actual download stage with this purchase from Cedille, as I too experienced difficulties with them previously. In all fairness, I found Cedille's customer service excellent when I contacted them, and their response each time was to provide me with a direct download link which worked perfectly. My trepidation proved unjustified on this occasion, the files downloaded without incident and automatically unzipped. And my goodness what a superb listening experience this proved to be, both in terms of performance and recording. This Pacifica set is hands-down the best since the classic Fitzwilliam from the '70s.

With regard to downloads in general, I agree absolutely with HighlandDougie. For many years now, my music purchases have been over 90% downloads. I turn to physical purchases only when a download fails to include booklet notes in cases when I consider this essential (unfamiliar works, vocal music), or if audio options over and above what downloads can offer are available (the Pure Audio Blu-ray version of the re-mastering of Britten's own recording of the War Requiem, for instance). I am delighted with the ease of access which iTunes provides to the 3000-odd 'albums' in my music library, and with the whole download experience. Occasional glitches will not deter me from continuing on the download path.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

That's what I will do to the high resolution audio DVDs (and the CD-Rs derived from the same downloads) I get from the disc burner in this laptop. 'Simples'.

[Oh, and less than £8 for the high resolution downloads plus the blank discs to burn them to seems a pretty good deal to me compared to even the amazon.co.uk price of £10 for lower resolution CDs and lossy mp3s.]

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  'Simples'.
                  ... ah well, one man's "simples" is another man's "faff"

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Amen

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

I am most grateful to a fellow boarder for private notification of the LPO set of Beethoven symphonies
                      recorded in the mid-seventies under Bernard Haitink.

Last edited by Alison; 23-11-13, 08:41.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

I successfully downloaded from the Cedille site today after using the link that webmaster supplied. All well and good, but why not supply that link to customers in the first place? Anyway, I haven't had a chance to evaluate the Pacifica Qt recordings yet, hopefully tonight.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                          • Nov 2011

New from SDG — Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

Soloists are Lucy Crowe (soprano), Jennifer Johnston (mezzo), James Gilchrist (tenor) and Matthew Rose (bass), with the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique. It's a recording of a live performance at the Barbican. The SDG web site says: "Originally broadcast by Radio 3, we were delighted that the BBC agreed to let us use their tapes to make an album of this very special piece."

It's downloading from the SDG site as I write. I hope the broadcast engineers behaved themselves on the night.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

THIS is essential (IMV) but not 'easy listening'

raster is meant to be a platform - a network covering the overlapping border areas of pop, art and science.

(I know mr OXO is well into it )

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

DublinJ msg 717

There's also mention of a performance of Beethoven's Symphonies 1,2 and 8 in Cadogan Hall, London, on 30th November, also with JEG and the ORR.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                                New from SDG — Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

Soloists are Lucy Crowe (soprano), Jennifer Johnston (mezzo), James Gilchrist (tenor) and Matthew Rose (bass), with the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique. It's a recording of a live performance at the Barbican. The SDG web site says: "Originally broadcast by Radio 3, we were delighted that the BBC agreed to let us use their tapes to make an album of this very special piece."

It's downloading from the SDG site as I write. I hope the broadcast engineers behaved themselves on the night.
                                Just received the CD of this from Presto, I've been waiting for Gardiner to do it ever since I marvelled at his second Brahms' German Requiem... but THAT was in the sympathetic acoustic of Usher Hall, and the Barbican is a bigger challenge. I thought the Behlolavek Martinu on Onyx was well made, and one of the engineers for those (for No.4) is the same - Philip Burwell. But the Barbican can be recalcitrant.

I guess, DJ - listen and report back; now if I only can squeeze it in somewhere....

Comment

Working...
                                X