X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I have volumes 2 to 7, plus the Chailly box. I am weighing up the chances of buying the new box and offloading the 7 separate boxes I have for a similar total price.

[Hmm. I have talked myself into the new box, plus the Chailly Brahms. I don't think I will regret either decision. I just need to put on a string vest, a couple of pairs of long-johns and a body warmer over the winter, and turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees or so.]
    Perhaps I wasn't feeling well last night - I have had a problem cold/cough - but I didn't enjoy the Brahms Leipzig concert last night as much as the one last week, which had one of the best renditions of the 2nd symphony I've ever heard. However, the flute playing in the final movment of the 4th last night was lovely. I don't know how the live performances compare with the CDs - though as they are on Spotify I may listen there, and save the money for the CDs.

I suppose around £18 isn't too much to pay though, if the CDs are good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Symph...the+symphonies

I still have Rattle's set to get through, though. I am very probably talking myself into the "arm and a leg" Haebler box - as I don't think there's any other way of getting her Mozart concerto recordings right now.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I am very probably talking myself into the "arm and a leg" Haebler box - as I don't think there's any other way of getting her Mozart concerto recordings right now.
      Do take the chance to have a listen first if you can, Dave2002

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Do take the chance to have a listen first if you can, Dave2002
        Ah - don't you rate the whole box then? Have you got it or heard it? I have several of her Mozart concerto recordings on LP. I don't mind a few duds in a box, but obviously I wouldn't want a lot.

However, despite the cost, it's not actually going to break the bank - probably not the end of the world as long as not a total disaster.
        Thanks for the comment, though not quite sure where I'm going to get to hear the performances in reasonable quality sound.

Comment

• Andrew Preview
          • May 2011

Anyone heard Janine Jansen's new Bach concertos disc? Listening on Spotify, I'd say it's broadly in the Daniel Hope / Richard Tognetti category of historically informed performance on modern instruments. The concertos are played one-to-a-part, but a greater weight of sound makes that less obvious than on Rachel Podger's Brecon Baroque recording. Oddly, for a disc entitled "Concertos", she's included a couple of the sonatas for violin and harpsichord in place of the usual D minor concerto for two violins.
          "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• amateur51

Ah - don't you rate the whole box then? Have you got it or heard it? I have several of her Mozart concerto recordings on LP. I don't mind a few duds in a box, but obviously I wouldn't want a lot.

However, despite the cost, it's not actually going to break the bank - probably not the end of the world as long as not a total disaster.
            Thanks for the comment, though not quite sure where I'm going to get to hear the performances in reasonable quality sound.
            This is a very personal opinion but I remember these recordings from way back and with individual and complete performances by Annie Fischer, Brendel, Haskil, Kempff, Perahia, Schiff, Viviana Sofronitzky and Barenboim on my shelves, and with performances by Brautigam on my wish list, then Ms Haebler's set is not for me. Which is why I say take a listen if you can - she may be the answer to your prayers, after all

ooops: I missed off Christian Zacharias, Lili Kraus and Maria João Pires too
            Last edited by Guest; 31-10-13, 18:01. Reason: ooops:

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              This is a very personal opinion but I remember these recordings from way back and with individual and complete performances by Annie Fischer, Brendel, Haskil, Kempff, Perahia, Schiff, Viviana Sofronitzky and Barenboim on my shelves, and with performances by Brautigam on my wish list, then Ms Haebler's set is not for me. Which is why I say take a listen if you can - she may be the answer to your prayers, after all
              I love Haebler's Mozart sonatas and variations. I think she is an exquisite Mozartian, with a lovely 'cantabile' playing style. I don't know her Mozart PCs, though.

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

... I suppose around £18 isn't too much to pay though, if the CDs are good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Symph...the+symphonies ...
                Careful, all the low priced marketplace offers come from countries outside the EU, so will be subject to import duty (they are all priced over the £15 limit). You may get away with it, but with an £8.00 handling fee, plus the import duty, is it worth the risk?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  A potentially interesting release. However, I understand that BBC Legends turned this issue down on the basis of the poor sound quality and it may be of little more than documentary interest. Having said that, Testament may have worked miracles on it you never know. If anyone buys this perhaps they could report back.
                  Interesting Petrushka. I hope that the disc is reviewed widely . Sometimes Testament discs do not make it all outlets . The spectacular , though apparently nla , Sibelius /Elgar Handel/Rattle coupling was not reviewed in Gramophone .

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    I[Hmm. I have talked myself into the new box, plus the Chailly Brahms. I don't think I will regret either decision. ][/COLOR]
                    I thought that I had talked myself comprehensively out of 'RCO 125 The Radio Legacy: Anthology of the RCO, Volumes 1-7' as Amazon had increased the price to well over £500 (I can't believe that I'm even typing this amount) but then I've gone and discovered that it's €499 on the RCO's own site which, given the current exchange rate, works out at a bit less than the original Amazon price, although it's still a ridiculously large sum. Postage seems to be free (and it weighs over 5kg - ). So the deed is done - how, though, am I going to hide it from TOH? I just about got away with the Berlin Phil 100, the Britten Complete Works, the Decca Analogue Years, both Mercury Collector's Editions, oh, and not forgetting the Archiv 1947 - 2013 and Abbado Symphony boxes but any suggestions on concealing the RCO behemoth gratefully received. And on TOH-appropriate Christmas presents costing under £5.00 as that's that Christmas money blown.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      I thought that I had talked myself comprehensively out of 'RCO 125 The Radio Legacy: Anthology of the RCO, Volumes 1-7' as Amazon had increased the price to well over £500 (I can't believe that I'm even typing this amount) but then I've gone and discovered that it's €499 on the RCO's own site which, given the current exchange rate, works out at a bit less than the original Amazon price, although it's still a ridiculously large sum. Postage seems to be free (and it weighs over 5kg - ). So the deed is done - how, though, am I going to hide it from TOH? I just about got away with the Berlin Phil 100, the Britten Complete Works, the Decca Analogue Years, both Mercury Collector's Editions, oh, and not forgetting the Archiv 1947 - 2013 and Abbado Symphony boxes but any suggestions on concealing the RCO behemoth gratefully received. And on TOH-appropriate Christmas presents costing under £5.00 as that's that Christmas money blown.

Two suggestions:

1) If you have un petit jardin, HD, you could suddenly find it being excavated by a particularly well-organised mole.

or,

2) You could loan them out to other forumites. A safe and welcome temporary abode guaranteed.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Usually the first hurdle is getting these things in - and that might depend when the postman arrives, or the delivery person if delivered by a parcel service. You could always go away for a while, with TOH, and make sure a friendly neighbour takes in all the mail or parcels, so that you can intercept it on your return. Those notes which some delivery people put through the door aren't always helpful though - "so what have you been buying now, then?"

Once in, if nowhere else, try pulling up floorboards!

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I have heard that Richard Egarr is to offer his take on the 8 great Handel harpsichord suites in a new Harmonia Mundi set, which should be available in the New Year. Good news, in my opinion - we can always do with another quality version of these lovely pieces.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

I have arranged for my RCO set to be delivered to my workplace.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              I have heard that Richard Egarr is to offer his take on the 8 great Handel harpsichord suites in a new Harmonia Mundi set, which should be available in the New Year. Good news, in my opinion - we can always do with another quality version of these lovely pieces.
                              Every day is National Pirate's Day for Richard Egarr! Egarr!

(In Mme. T's absence, I have been attacking the sherry a day early)

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

...and maybe a little more besides, Thropps!

Comment

Working...
                                X