X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I expected it to be expensive but really... Been looking forward to this but sadly the price looks beyond my pocket unless the horses or lottery oblige.
    Fret not, Forumites, according to Vinteuil-onomics it works out at £3.25 a disc. That should take the sting out of the purchase.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Fret not, Forumites, according to Vinteuil-onomics it works out at £3.25 a disc. That should take the sting out of the purchase.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

I expected it to be expensive but really... Been looking forward to this but sadly the price looks beyond my pocket unless the horses or lottery oblige.
        Same here ....... and I suppose its probably a bit much to ask for it as a christmas present

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
          Same here ....... and I suppose its probably a bit much to ask for it as a christmas present
          Well, it's already on my wish list and all family and friends are directed there so...

Could I afford it? The short answer is yes I probably could but it's a big spend. Anyway, it's my 60th birthday next year and I wonder if I can forget the celebration holiday and get this set instead?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
            • Mar 2013

Well, it's already on my wish list and all family and friends are directed there so...

Could I afford it? The short answer is yes I probably could but it's a big spend. Anyway, it's my 60th birthday next year and I wonder if I can forget the celebration holiday and get this set instead?
            Didn't someone mention the idea of a board 'Secret Santa'?
            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              Buy two, and sell one on later - at a profit!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

If the Presto count is correct, there are 54 more discs than in the 7 boxes as issued separately. I think we need more detailed information on this set.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                  • Nov 2011

A new release I'm looking forward to is Harmonia Mundi's new recording by Trio Wanderer of piano trios by Tchaikovsky and Arensky, due for release on 18th November.

I have most of their recordings, and have yet to be disappointed (their coupling of music by Smetana and Liszt is superb). Yes, this is one I'll be snapping up.

Comment

• soileduk
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    If the Presto count is correct, there are 54 more discs than in the 7 boxes as issued separately. I think we need more detailed information on this set.
                    The Radio Legacy is a compilation of the seven-part Anthology of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, the four box sets devoted to the orchestra’s chief conductors Willem Mengelberg, Eduard van Beinum, Bernard Haitink and Riccardo Chailly, and also featuring more recent recordings with Mariss Jansons.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                      The Radio Legacy is a compilation of the seven-part Anthology of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, the four box sets devoted to the orchestra’s chief conductors Willem Mengelberg, Eduard van Beinum, Bernard Haitink and Riccardo Chailly, and also featuring more recent recordings with Mariss Jansons.
                      Thank you. That makes a lot more sense.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I may have missed a discussion of this but Testament are to release a recording of that first performance of the War Requiem from Coventry Cathedral

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

I wonder who the market is for a £500+ boxed set? Most people who earn enough to afford it wouldn't have the time to listen to it! And anyone who is an RCO fetishist and isn't scared of high prices will presumably have many of the individual issues.

I was hoping it would be keenly priced so people would offload vol 4 on the second hand market......

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

I have volumes 2 to 7, plus the Chailly box. I am weighing up the chances of buying the new box and offloading the 7 separate boxes I have for a similar total price.

[Hmm. I have talked myself into the new box, plus the Chailly Brahms. I don't think I will regret either decision. I just need to put on a string vest, a couple of pairs of long-johns and a body warmer over the winter, and turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees or so.]
                            Last edited by Bryn; 30-10-13, 13:04. Reason: Update

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              I may have missed a discussion of this but Testament are to release a recording of that first performance of the War Requiem from Coventry Cathedral
                              A potentially interesting release. However, I understand that BBC Legends turned this issue down on the basis of the poor sound quality and it may be of little more than documentary interest. Having said that, Testament may have worked miracles on it you never know. If anyone buys this perhaps they could report back.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                I have volumes 2 to 7, plus the Chailly box. I am weighing up the chances of buying the new box and offloading the 7 separate boxes I have for a similar total price.

[Hmm. I have talked myself into the new box, plus the Chailly Brahms. I don't think I will regret either decision. I just need to put on a string vest, a couple of pairs of long-johns and a body warmer over the winter, and turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees or so.]
                                A fine example of the CD collector's decision-making process - bravo Bryn

Comment

Working...
                                X