X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmpH
    • Feb 2012

Quatour Mosaiques - Collected Haydn String Quartet recordings to be reissued in 10 CD box next month.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

One for Baroque lovers...

'This recording gathers together vocal gems from the Italian baroque and some of the most renowned artists in this repertoire: Il Giardino Armonico s co-founder Luca Pianca, Roberta Invernizzi (soprano) and contralto Sonia Prina. This intense and heart-stretching programme on love and sadness gathers a series of amazing duets by Monteverdi, Handel (when living in Italy), Marcello, Scarlatti, Lotti and Durante.'

The Monteverdi is especially alluring and deliciously chromatic. I was won over from the start ('Interrotte Speranze').

More than 100 million tracks available for unlimited streaming in high sound quality. Qobuz is also the worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res downloads.
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
        Quatour Mosaiques - Collected Haydn String Quartet recordings to be reissued in 10 CD box next month.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Quarte...aydn+mosaiques
        If I did but already have them in their original issue format ... . There again, where available, I do prefer to listen to the LHQ or Festetics in this repertoire.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

There are precious few recordings of Moeran's beautifull Violin Concerto, so this impending Chandos release with Tasmin Little / Andrew Davis is something to look forward to imv.

Tasmin Little: The Lark Ascending. Chandos: CHAN10796. Buy CD or download online. Tasmin Little (violin) BBC Philharmonic, Sir Andrew Davis

It will be interesting to see how this compares with the excellent Georgiadis / Handley recording on Lyrita, as well as the historic recordings of Sammons and Campoli with Boult.

More information from Chandos here, including details of some appetising couplings from Delius and Holst, some apparently new arrangements of familiar Elgar and another ( Little / Davis ) recording of the ubiquitous Lark..

http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp...r=CHAN%2010796
          There is also of course chandos's earlier recording with Mordkovitch their former house violinist and Handley with the Ulster Orchestra . It will have to go some to top that especially as it is coupled with Wallfisch's account of the Cello Concerto.

Comment

• AmpH
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            If I did but already have them in their original issue format ... . There again, where available, I do prefer to listen to the LHQ or Festetics in this repertoire.
            Yes, I bought the QM recordings first time around as well. A nice boxset reissure of the Festetics would be very welcome indeed.

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              There is also of course chandos's earlier recording with Mordkovitch their former house violinist and Handley with the Ulster Orchestra . It will have to go some to top that especially as it is coupled with Wallfisch's account of the Cello Concerto.
              Although it is a slightly cooler account, I prefer the recording on Lyrita. The Wallfisch cello concerto is very good though - I have this on its earlier Chandos coupling with the Sinfonietta, also with del Mar.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

A splendid disc of two criminally underplayed masterpieces. The Violin concerto is more immediately appealing but, after long acquaintance, I would now consider the cello concerto to be the greater work. Notwithstanding, a new recording of the VC, particularly from a performer with such impeccable credentials in British repertoire, is greatly to be welcomed.

Comment

• amateur51

Yes, I bought the QM recordings first time around as well. A nice boxset reissure of the Festetics would be very welcome indeed.
                  Wouldn't it just - but right now I'm very happy to be able to buy the QM set

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Large box sets are often sold as limited editions of 3000. I'm thinking of the the JEG Bach and the Complete Britten. Is this a marketing ploy, or just good sense on the part of the recording companies?

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Large box sets are often sold as limited editions of 3000. I'm thinking of the the JEG Bach and the Complete Britten. Is this a marketing ploy, or just good sense on the part of the recording companies?
                      I suppose if the limited edition thing is a feature, then they can't release more if the sets are popular, though I suspect that sometimes they don't announce the number in the run. There may have been some box sets which were popular enough to have a second run.

I expect that some of the box sets have a relatively low manufacturing cost, so the companies can afford to make more than they expect to sell, and then if they need to sell the remaining stock at around their cost price. 3000 sounds like a reasonable number to me.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

Has anyone here invested in Bruno Walter: The Edition? I'm very tempted by this, as it would involve very little duplication. A shame that it doesn't come with the Beethoven/NYPO cycle, but perhaps that's just me being greedy.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          Has anyone here invested in Bruno Walter: The Edition? I'm very tempted by this, as it would involve very little duplication. A shame that it doesn't come with the Beethoven/NYPO cycle, but perhaps that's just me being greedy.
                          Hello Thropple. Tempting, as you say, even with some duplcation, but I'm not keen on that LP-sized packaging arrangement, which won't fit on normal shelves and gives inconvenient access to the CDs. I got the Bernstein Symphony Box (just the 60 CDs!) in the same style. I deconstructed it, transferring the oversized box and glossy but not very informative large-format booklet to the loft and moving the individual CDs to a rack of my own.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Tempting, as you say, even with some duplication, but I'm not keen on that LP-sized packaging arrangement
                            Same here. Why not issue it in a 'proper' CD box that will fit on to a CD shelf? Bizarre. I bought the Furtwangler Ring in this format when it was issued for £13 on Amazon and it lies on the floor! There is also an enormous Günter Wand box in this format and it looks ridiculous. Tempted but won't be bothering.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Hello Thropple. Tempting, as you say, even with some duplcation, but I'm not keen on that LP-sized packaging arrangement, which won't fit on normal shelves and gives inconvenient access to the CDs. I got the Bernstein Symphony Box (just the 60 CDs!) in the same style. I deconstructed it, transferring the oversized box and glossy but not very informative large-format booklet to the loft and moving the individual CDs to a rack of my own.
                              Thanks for the warning, Gurnemanz.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                Same here. Why not issue it in a 'proper' CD box that will fit on to a CD shelf? Bizarre. I bought the Furtwangler Ring in this format when it was issued for £13 on Amazon and it lies on the floor! There is also an enormous Günter Wand box in this format and it looks ridiculous. Tempted but won't be bothering.
                                I am in the process of transferring CDs to a Hard Drive. I don't intend to move my entire collection there but have begun to put some of it there because I am simply out of space for more CDs. That would be my recommendation for any awkwardly shaped container that presents storage issues. I am currently listening to Oistrakh and Mravinsky in the DSCH First Violin Concerto. This was from a box that had taken up a lot of real estate on my shelf, and it sounds better coming off the HD

Comment

Working...
                                X