X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Um, Alison and I were discussing the Stravinsky/Norrington Sony CD there, a51, not the Bach. Still reckon the tax dodgers' deal of the SACDs and mp3 (now around £12, though £11.00 when I ordered).
    Some confusiion indeed - I thought I was responding to Caliban's reply re price - oh dear

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The Berglund Bournmouth Years box arrived today. I was more than a little surprised to find that the few Sibelius works included were all played not by the BSO but the Helsinki band. The recording of Kullervo is not that issued on an EMI double CD album but a later one including Estonian choral forces. There is thus less duplication of recordings I already have than I expected.

[One minor annoyance is that DSCH 6 is quite unnecessarily spit over 2 discs. 5 and 6 add up to 80' 36", which is no real problem these days. I have ripped and burned them to a single over-burned standard '80 minute' CD-R and added it to the box.]
      Last edited by Bryn; 14-09-13, 19:47. Reason: Additional comment.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Apologies for butting into the Bryn/Alison exchange but, having got hold of a (cheapish) copy of the Norrington/Stravinsky issue via French Amazon Marketplace, it's very good indeed. Slightly close recording (ZKO-Haus Zurich, which I guess is a studio) but very clear with a wide dynamic range - it suits the music very well. Music well and characterfully-played. I particularly like the Danses Concertantes - the Dumbarton Oaks seemed a bit slow at first (my point of reference being Stravinsky's own recording) but not to the detriment of the music. Well worth the money if you see a copy going cheap.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Verdi operas - 20 CD set to be released on October 4 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-The-Gr...sim_sbs_m_h__5

Seems to be conducted by Karajan, and source of recordings uncertain at present. Around £1 per CD this set from Zyx - might be good, but we need more information.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Decca Eloquence are issuing four long-deleted titles from the L'Oiseau Lyre and Folio Society labels, featuring Hogwood and the AAM; the 8 Arne harpsichord sonatas (Hogwood's first recording for L'Oiseau Lyre); The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book; Musique pour la Chambre du Roy; Weber Lieder (Martyn Hill). All available for pre-order on the river site.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

E mail from Amazon today - "Mstislav Rostropovich's New Album"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                E mail from Amazon today - "Mstislav Rostropovich's New Album"
                Beethoven's Ghost Trio?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Parry1912
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Beethoven's Ghost Trio?
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Beethoven's Ghost Trio?

Messiaen Eclairs sur l'au-delà?
                    Last edited by Guest; 20-09-13, 10:55. Reason: smiley

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Messiaen Eclairs sur l'au-delà?

Or his Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

Or his Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                          • Nov 2011

An exciting new release is the latest from the Pavel Haas Quartet, this time Schubert's Death and the Maiden Quartet and the String Quintet. It's a 2-disc set on Supraphon.

I'm currently listening to it on Qobuz streaming and there's no doubt that this amazing group of musicians have once again come up with a winner. Streaming isn't enough: I'll be adding this to my collection as a keeper.

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                            An exciting new release is the latest from the Pavel Haas Quartet, this time Schubert's Death and the Maiden Quartet and the String Quintet. It's a 2-disc set on Supraphon.

I'm currently listening to it on Qobuz streaming and there's no doubt that this amazing group of musicians have once again come up with a winner. Streaming isn't enough: I'll be adding this to my collection as a keeper.
                            Thanks for this, DublinJimbo. I always keep hoping these young, lively quartets will branch out into other fare, such as Simpsons quartets - woefully unrecorded. I appreciate that every quartet wants to leave their mark on the classics of the repertoire, but how many more 'Death and the Maidens' does one need, esp. when so many quartets go unrecorded?

I'd even taken another Brahms op.111 over the Schubert quintet, as there have been relatively few recordings by modern ensembles. (I have the Hagens.)

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ruhevoll View Post
                              Thanks for this, DublinJimbo. I always keep hoping these young, lively quartets will branch out into other fare, such as Simpsons quartets - woefully unrecorded.
                              Could one issue be Performing Rights? Apart from the possible negative effects of performing contemporary music, clubs, societies and venues which put on concerts of recent music have to pay a fee - maybe it was £28 a while ago, which is a small deterrent to organisers. Indeed I believe the fee is per concert, not per piece, so an 'encouragement' to performers and promoters to put on whole concerts of modernish works, which perhaps only a few will wish to hear!

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Could one issue be Performing Rights? Apart from the possible negative effects of performing contemporary music, clubs, societies and venues which put on concerts of recent music have to pay a fee - maybe it was £28 a while ago, which is a small deterrent to organisers. Indeed I believe the fee is per concert, not per piece, so an 'encouragement' to performers and promoters to put on whole concerts of modernish works, which perhaps only a few will wish to hear!
                                I wasn't aware of this factor. Thanks for raising it, David.

Comment

Working...
                                X