• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ruhevoll View Post
    Do you have a favourite?

The Tafelmusik version is very good. I didn't know Perahia had done one!
    Memory may be fading, but I'm referring to Brandenburg 5. I don't normally like pianos in Bach, but for Perahia I make an exception. I feel at least 50% sure he has done one. I also have Philip Pckett's, with the odd musings on symbols etc. i really don't like versions in old fashioned style e.g. Karajan, and I fear probably Boult also. In my list above 2-5 inclusive are very good - I agree about Tafelmusik.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

The excellent Cafe Zimmermann Brandenburgs are on 6 separate discs. I got them when they first came out as a box two years ago. This is clearly better value - still not that cheap but well worth getting. Thanks to someone very vigilant on the Bargains Board here I grabbed them for only 28 Euros at Amazon.de, which must have been an error.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I don't think you will regret your purchase. I listened to the first 3 in their mp3 format while driving into work this morning. Very fine indeed. Up there with Cafe Zim. et al.
        Listened to 4, 5 and the start of 6 during the drive home. What joyous delights this set has to offer! No hair shirt worn by Butt and co.

I see the amazon.co.uk price has gone up £1.02 since yesterday, and it costs 96p less to buy the SACDs with free mp3s thrown in than it does to buy just the mp3s! This is tax dodging gone mad.
        Last edited by Bryn; 12-09-13, 21:17.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Did you ever acquire the Sir Roger CD of Stravinsky, nethersage ?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Not as yet, no. Is it any good?

Must check out the current going rate.

[£20.88 including p&p. Well overpriced, to my mind.]

[[Presto Classical have it for £14.25 plus p&p. Still more than I am willing to pay for it unheard.]]
            Last edited by Bryn; 12-09-13, 21:24.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              The excellent Cafe Zimmermann Brandenburgs are on 6 separate discs. I got them when they first came out as a box two years ago. This is clearly better value - still not that cheap but well worth getting. Thanks to someone very vigilant on the Bargains Board here I grabbed them for only 28 Euros at Amazon.de, which must have been an error.
              I quite like the Cafe Z's performances, though not in fact more than some of the others I mentioned. I recall obtaining my set from amazon.es.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Not heard it, Bryn. We'll wait a bit longer I think.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

My introduction to the Brandenburgs was via Harry Newstone's Saga LPs which I was prompted into buying after much enjoying his recording of Stravinsky's Dumbarton Oaks Concerto with similar forces (it had Schönberg's Pierrot Lunaire as its 'fill-up'). More recently I have added a veritable legion of other recordings, including most of those mentioned in this thread. I'm not seeking perfection in them, just further musical experiences. I got such in spades via this recent Butt set.

[I still have the Newstone LPs, and unlike the vast majority of my LPs, they reside not in the loft but shelved close to my entirely serviceable Thorens/Linn/AT vinyl spinner. I might just spin them onto HD and thence to polycarbonate disc in the not too distant future.]

Oh, and somebody mentioned Savall. Sorry, to me his (I have the SACD re-masters) are pretty much run-of-the-mill. Too polite and 'safe' for my taste.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 12-09-13, 22:43.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Listened to 4, 5 and the start of 6 during the drive home. What joyous delights this set has to offer! No hair shirt worn by Butt and co.
                    I had ignored this release until now; your enthusiasm provoked a listen to the excerpts on the net and I agree with your description of "joyous delights".

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I still love the old 1980s EC/Pinnocks and his later accounts are very good too.

Others of which I am fond - the Britten and Boult accounts .

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        Have you got Savall's?
                        No, I don't have those. My first LP set was Harnoncourt's 1960s recording, which I have never got on CD reissue...I wonder how they sound now, compared to all the recent takes on these pieces?

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano's horns in No. 1 provoked a lot of antipathy from some of the Amazon commentariat. PARP!

Comment

• amateur51

[[Presto Classical have it for £14.25 plus p&p. Still more than I am willing to pay for it unheard.]]
                            Available here for £7.99 as a download and plenty of clips to listen to

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Re the 1960s Harnoncourt set, I have just found them on YouTube and they sound remarkably good. They certainly don't go at such a lick as today's performances, but after awhile, I found my ear adjusting to this. Concerto No.2 does sound a little plodding to begin with, but at least you can hear all the notes. It's no wonder these discs caused such a stir so far back, they were certainly revolutionary.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Quote Originally Posted by Bryn:

Available here for £7.99 as a download and plenty of clips to listen to

http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Downlo...rlrefer=search
                                Um, Alison and I were discussing the Stravinsky/Norrington Sony CD there, a51, not the Bach. Still reckon the tax dodgers' deal of the SACDs and mp3 (now around £12, though £11.00 when I ordered) for the Butt Bach.

Comment

Working...
                                X