X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

I understand vol 54 of the Suzuki Bach Cantatas is now out.

Presumably vol 55 (which might conclude the series?) can't be too far behind??

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I hope BIS will issue a couple of boxed sets for volumes 41 to 55 to complement the four boxes of volumes 1 to 40 which I bought a couple of years ago. They definitely eased to pain of purchase.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        I hope BIS will issue a couple of boxed sets for volumes 41 to 55 to complement the four boxes of volumes 1 to 40 which I bought a couple of years ago. They definitely eased to pain of purchase.
        ... sadly I think not. Like you I purchased those four boxes; I recently asked BIS whether they were going to produce further boxes to complete the set : they said - no, no plans to do so - their current priority being to complete the production of the individual CDs of the series, after which they were thinking of perhaps producing one big box of the lot.

So I have been one-by-one acquiring the vols from 41 to 54...

Really irritating!

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... sadly I think not. Like you I purchased those four boxes; I recently asked BIS whether they were going to produce further boxes to complete the set : they said - no, no plans to do so - their current priority being to complete the production of the individual CDs of the series, after which they were thinking of perhaps producing one big box of the lot.

So I have been one-by-one acquiring the vols from 41 to 54...

Really irritating!
          Hello, sir!

That must hurt the old wallet!

I hope you didn't engage in such completism with other Bach cantata cycles! Perhaps you, like me, think Suzuki's is by and away the finest on disc.

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Has anyone invested in the Dunedin Consort's Brandenburgs?

Bach, Six, Brandenburg, Concertos, ctos, cto, concerto, brandenberg, dundin, duneden, dunedin, consort, john, butt, pamela, thorby, linn, studio, studio master, studio mater, 24, 24bit, 24 bit

Reviews have been excellent but do I need another set?

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ruhevoll View Post
              Has anyone invested in the Dunedin Consort's Brandenburgs?

Bach, Six, Brandenburg, Concertos, ctos, cto, concerto, brandenberg, dundin, duneden, dunedin, consort, john, butt, pamela, thorby, linn, studio, studio master, studio mater, 24, 24bit, 24 bit

Reviews have been excellent but do I need another set?

Andrew McGregor played an excerpt on CD Review on Saturday morning. Have a wee listen to the iplayer.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                Andrew McGregor played an excerpt on CD Review on Saturday morning. Have a wee listen to the iplayer.
                Just ordered the SACDs from the tax dodgers (£11.00 including p&p) and am currently downloading my complementary mp3s.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Why is it that I am always tempted to buy "just one more" set of the Brandenburg Concertos when it appears? Heaven knows I have enough of them on my shelves.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    Why is it that I am always tempted to buy "just one more" set of the Brandenburg Concertos when it appears? Heaven knows I have enough of them on my shelves.
                    Because none of them quite measure up?

Because you're addicted?

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

How many have you got, so far? I thought I had around 10, though perhaps not so many.

Britten, Tafelmusik, Pinnock, Hogwood, Giardino Armonico, Newstone, Furtwangler (3), Perahia (5), plus the Briiliant box one etc. Maybe some by Boult (recent box), Cafe Zimmerman. I can't remember them all. One more good one might not be unreasonable!

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        How many have you got, so far? I thought I had around 10, though perhaps not so many.

Britten, Tafelmusik, Pinnock, Hogwood, Giardino Armonico, Newstone, Furtwangler (3), Perahia (5), plus the Briiliant box one etc. Maybe some by Boult (recent box), Cafe Zimmerman. I can't remember them all. One more good one might not be unreasonable!
                        Do you have a favourite?

The Tafelmusik version is very good. I didn't know Perahia had done one!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

I don't think you will regret your purchase. I listened to the first 3 in their mp3 format while driving into work this morning. Very fine indeed. Up there with Cafe Zim. et al.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 12-09-13, 21:17. Reason: Damned predictive text. It even changed "Damned" to "Rammed."!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I don't think you will regret your purchase. I listened to the first 3 in their mp3 format while driving into work this morning. Very fine indeed. Up there with Cafe Dim. Etc so.
                            I did not need to know this, Bryn!

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

It is so difficult to pinpoint a favourite...so many versions offer so many fine things, and I guess that is the fascination - artists will always have something different to offer. My last version was the Egarr/AAM version, and I thought that very nice indeed, what I would call a "comfortable" version to live with. Others such as MAK, Il Giardino Armonico etc have a more hair-shirt approach, which can be very exciting when one is in the mood. I haven't yet heard the Café Zimmermann...must do so soon.

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

It is so difficult to pinpoint a favourite...so many versions offer so many fine things, and I guess that is the fascination - artists will always have something different to offer. My last version was the Egarr/AAM version, and I thought that very nice indeed, what I would call a "comfortable" version to live with. Others such as MAK, Il Giardino Armonico etc have a more hair-shirt approach, which can be very exciting when one is in the mood. I haven't yet heard the Café Zimmermann...must do so soon.
                                Have you got Savall's?

Comment

Working...
                                X