• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
    Pastoralguy,

Thanks, it's off to Amazon or iTunes, I go.
    Please let me know what you think.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Eight new releases from ICA Classics including must-haves from Emil Gilels and Barbirolli

Not sure about the Callas
      Thanks for the tip, ama. Searching around, I've found the Elgar 2 (Boult) & Elgar/Enigma Variations/Bernstein, DVD, at a lower price quote from the river people!

Comment

• martin_opera

Stumbled across this Anna Moffo recital on Amazon. I had "A Verdi collaboration" on lp and had given up hope of it coming on CD. A very welcome release and it bodes well for Sony delving into the RCA/BMG archive. Moffo in simply glorious voice singing roles that she would not likely sing on the stage. Reminds me of the marvellous Angela Gheorghiu Verdi Arias disc. Would have loved Moffo to have had a go at some of Elisabetta's music from Don Carlo.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

The Elgar 2 sounds very exciting - cannot wait.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The DVD sounds really good one to buy! Thanks for the heads up.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

Some real gems here, especially the Johanna Martzy collection. The few I've investigated have the CDs replicate the LPs' contents which makes for some discs with very short measure by today's standards.

Browse classical recordings available to buy in the Korean Imports series.

Comment

• hafod
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                Some real gems here, especially the Johanna Martzy collection. The few I've investigated have the CDs replicate the LPs' contents which makes for some discs with very short measure by today's standards.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/s/Korean%2BImports
                It's the Haebler I covet although by recent box set standards the prices are a bit daunting (enhanced no doubt because of import duties).

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                  It's the Haebler I covet although by recent box set standards the prices are a bit daunting (enhanced no doubt because of import duties).
                  Agreed, though the set costs even more at the river.

Comment

• Paul Campbell
                    • Nov 2010

I am a great admirer of Madam Haebler's playing. If anyone would like to sample her Schubert, the following may be of interest... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Pia...8145483&sr=1-1

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

ICA Classics has a new website at

The new releases are £8.49 with free UK postage. A free download (mp3) of the Elgar/Boult came immediately with the CD purchase.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        ICA Classics has a new website at

The new releases are £8.49 with free UK postage. A free download (mp3) of the Elgar/Boult came immediately with the CD purchase.
                        good to know for future reference . I love this Elgar 2 and I have played it twice already today .

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Eyes down for a new DVD release on Decca; Verdi Requiem, La Scala, Milan/Barenboim with an attractive line-up of soloists: Anja Harteros, Elina Garanca, Jonas Kaufmann and Rene Papa. Available from the river people @ £11+, - bear in mind that prices can vary fairly quickly -delivery later this week.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            good to know for future reference . I love this Elgar 2 and I have played it twice already today .
                            Presumably you'd also recommend the Barbirolli new (re-?)issue - Hadyn 83 and Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Presumably you'd also recommend the Barbirolli new (re-?)issue - Hadyn 83 and Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique.
                              Bought but not listened to yet .

Comment

• Paul Campbell
                                • Nov 2010

I was delighted to learn that the Takacs Quartet have recorded the Britten quartets, and that the disc is due for a November release. Eagerly looking forward to this one

<p>‘Arguably the greatest string quartet before the public today’ (<i>The Sunday Times</i>), the Takács Quartet have recorded much of the great Classical and Romantic quartet repertoire during their fruitful career. Now they turn to three masterpieces of the twentieth century.</p> <p>The three quartets span the composer’s life, the first written in America and the second written at the height of Britten’s fame after the premiere of <i>Peter Grimes</i>. It was written to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Purcell’s death—a composer who was a lifetime inspiration to Britten—and the last movement is cast in the form of a huge Chacony. The third Quartet was written at the end of Britten’s life and refers specifically to his last opera, <i>Death in Venice</i>. Peter Pears described this haunting work as being ‘of a profound beauty more touching than anything else, radiant, wise, new, mysterious—overwhelming’.</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X