• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    The great lady was invited to Salzburg by Karajan but turned him down because of a prior booking. He never called her again. Whose loss?
    Ours.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      That contains the Mozart Symphony 25 I've been looking for http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4785601, though whether I'll feel it worth paying for the other CDs in the box I'm not so sure. Perhaps the relevant tracks will appear at a reaonable price in a reasonable quality level on a download site.
      They are now on iTunes at 79p each, and also on Spotify, though it's not easy to find what's what on Spotify as there are few clues as to which piece is which. Here is the Mozart 25 - CD 11 tracks 1-4 on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/track/0H8f1tjInpgF3m4JbC3ZA4 - or tracks 104 (Allegro con brio) onwards in one listing format, which you might get to from the link.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        the London Haydn Quartet's recording on order and due in 2 to 3 weeks,
        ... amazon tell me mine is on the way

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          They are now on iTunes at 79p each, and also on Spotify, though it's not easy to find what's what on Spotify as there are few clues as to which piece is which. Here is the Mozart 25 - CD 11 tracks 1-4 on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/track/0H8f1tjInpgF3m4JbC3ZA4 - or tracks 104 (Allegro con brio) onwards in one listing format, which you might get to from the link.
          Amazon have it on download at 79p per track. Does anyone else find it very annoying that when there is a big boxed set available for download it is often difficult to cheery pick the gaps in the collection because tracks over a certain length are only available as 'album' purchases eg what use is the 2nd and 3rd movements of Haebler's Mozart PC15 at 79p each if the only way of buying the 1st movt is by purchasing the whole lot for £49 or duplicating over half the CDs in the set paying £32.

Comment

• amateur51

New releases of recordings of the music of Benjamin Britten are coming thick and fast at the moment, but this historical one may be particularly interesting: Ančerl and Czech Philharmonic in Britten War Requiem, Spring symphony and A Young Person#'s Guide to the Orchestra (2CD set at mid-price)

Unusually, Amazon entry provides considerable details:

" Recorded at the Dvorák Hall of the Rudolfinum,Prague,on January 13,1966 (CD1),May 3,1958(CD2/1)and January 17,1964(CD2/2-13).Benjamin Britten's music formed one of the pillars of the Czech Philharmonic's concert programmes under its chief conductor Karel Ančerl. The famous Variations on a Theme of Purcell was in all likelihood the most frequently performed work(in 1962 also in England),and this CD contains the previously unreleased 1958 recording in the original version without narration.The enchanting and joyous Spring Symphony,commissioned by Serge Koussevitzky,was presented in Czech in Prague by Ančerl.the Czech Philharmonic and the finest soloists of the time.Forming a stark contrast to these two works is the War Requiem,a grand piece commemorating the victims of the most gruesome armed conflict in human history. Britten dedicated it to the memory of four friends of his who died in WWII while serving in the British navy or army.The work's Czech premiere,with the participation of superlative foreign soloists (Gerald English,John Cameron),took place less than four years after its world premiere.So enthused was he by the work that in November 1969,following his emigration to Canada, Ančerl included the War Requiem in one of his first concerts in Toronto.The conductor's personal profound experience of the senseless barbarity of the war imbued his conception of the work with a chilling authenticity.Both of the two previously unreleased concert recordings were made by the former Czechoslovak Radio.Britten conducted by Karel Ančerl previously unreleased unique recordings from the Prague Radio archives.

Product Description
            Nadezda Kniplova & Milada Subrtova, sopranos - Vera Soukupova, alto - Gerald English & Beno Blachut, ténors - John Cameron, baryton - Prague Philharmonic Choir - Kühn Children's Chorus - Czech Philharmonic Orchestra - Karel Ancerl, direction "

Comment

• amateur51

From Amazon's Product Description

"Rostropovich previously unknown and unreleased unique recordings of Shostakovich's concertos.Mstislav Rostropovich,one of the greatest 20th-century cellists,studied composition with Dmitri Shostakovich.Their mutual respect soon grew into a close friendship and in 1959 Shostakovich dedicated his Cello Concerto No.1 to Rostropovich,thus making the cellist's long-time wish come true.Rostropovich learned the piece within a mere four days and duly played it by heart to the astonished composer.Two days after the premiere(4 October 1959 in Leningrad),Rostropovich performed the work in Moscow to an enthusiastic audience response.Our CD contains this version,the concerto's oldest known recording.In 1960,the celebrated cellist and the Czech Philharmonic,under Kirill Kondrashin,presented the piece at the Prague Spring festival.Back in 1959,Rostropovich and Shostakovich recorded for Moscow Radio the Sonata for Cello and Piano in D minor,written by Shostakovich when he was twenty-eight years of age.The recording is a precious example of Shostakovich's continuing piano skills at the time when he no longer gave public performances.The fruitful collaboration between the two artists and friends culminated seven years later in Cello Concerto No.2,which was premiered by Rostropovich in Moscow on the day of Shostakovich's 60th birthday.A Prague audience first heard the piece about a year later.These Supraphon discs feature the CD debut of the two Prague recordings.
              Product Description
              C-tos pour violoncelle n°1, op.107 & n°2, op.126 - Sonate pour violoncelle, op.40 / M. Rostropovitch, violoncelle - D. Chostakovitch, piano - Czech Philh. Orch. - Prague Symph. Orch. - Moscow Philh. Orch. - K. Kondrashin, Y. Svetlanov & A. Gauk, direction "

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                • Nov 2011

One to watch out for in August: Alina Ibragimova and Cédric Tiberghien performing Schubert's Complete works for Violin and Piano.

In my collection, I have several complete sets of the Beethoven viollin sonatas. Ibragimova/Tiberghien's (live from Wigmore Hall) is special among those. I look forward to hearing them in Schubert. An anticipated pleasure.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

A considerable amount of duplication here, needless to say, but the inclusion of those Haydn symphonies, the Schubert 9 and the Messian Et Exspecto make this a mandatory purchase for me.

Annoying that so much of this set appeared in the 80th anniversary box a few years ago otherwise the attraction of this box would be very much more.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    http://www.mdt.co.uk/haitink-bernard...cca-20cds.html

A considerable amount of duplication here, needless to say, but the inclusion of those Haydn symphonies, the Schubert 9 and the Messian Et Exspecto make this a mandatory purchase for me.

Annoying that so much of this set appeared in the 80th anniversary box a few years ago otherwise the attraction of this box would be very much more.
                    I am pretty sure I have just about everything I want in that set, the Messiaen included (indeed possibly the first of those Haitink recordings I bought). I don't have his Schubert, but I'm not splashing out on a bunch of duplicates just to get the Schubert.

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

BD audio with True 24/96 quality, one of a number of Universal releases on BD Audio due in August-October.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Am I correct in thinking that Steven Isserlis has finally recorded the Dvorak 'cello concerto for Hyperion as an Autumn release?

Comment

• PJPJ
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          Am I correct in thinking that Steven Isserlis has finally recorded the Dvorak 'cello concerto for Hyperion as an Autumn release?
                          Spot on!

<p>Hyperion is delighted to present the world’s best-loved cello concerto performed by one of the world’s best-loved cellists: national treasure Steven Isserlis. Isserlis has waited 40 years to record this pinnacle of the repertoire, and here with his regular collaborators, the Mahler Chamber Orchestra and Daniel Harding, this long gestation has proved to be overwhelmingly fruitful. Isserlis writes of the concerto that ‘the power of its emotional journey, expressed with Dvořák’s characteristically folk-like simplicity and directness, offers an irresistible mix of the epic and the touchingly confessional’. The combination of emotional power and simplicity is also a feature of Isserlis’s playing, and part of what makes him such a consummate performer of this work.</p> <p>This album puts Dvořák’s B minor cello concerto in context, including not only the original ending, but an orchestral version of the song <i>Lasst mich allein</i> which is quoted in the concerto’s second and third movements.</p> <p>Isserlis has also recorded a version of Dvořák’s first cello concerto, a little-known work from the composer’s early period which he never orchestrated. This version (in what is almost definitely its premiere recording) is by German composer Günter Raphael, whose works were performed by Furtwängler among others, and is extensively rewritten from the composer’s original. To turn to Isserlis’s own words again: ‘Of course, it is not a masterpiece on the level of the later B minor concerto; but is it fair to lock up an older child just because their younger sibling is a genius? I love the A major concerto for the beauty of its melodies, for the freshness of its inspiration, for its typically rustic spirit—and for the sense of sheer joy that bubbles through the entire work.’</p>

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Nary a flicker on the life-support system to date, Cali

P'raps they're keeping their macuillage dry or saving up for a cannister of Harmony
                            She did a similar event at the Wigmore Hall on February 25th, 2012 where she was interviewed by Steven Isserlis. It was fine - until she started playing...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Superb! Thanks for that.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Perhaps not in danger of imminent release, but a recording project under way is that of Rossini's opera Maometto II, conducted by David Parry with the Garsington Festival orchestra. I don't know how it's being done, other than there are a lot (maybe 10-12) microphones across the front of the stage, plus a few others high up, and more microphones in the pit. The stage seems very wide - and how that would translate for domestic listening I'm not sure. At times there are several groups quite widely separated - typically 3 groups, or 3 individual singers. Perhaps extreme left, extreme right and centre is what will emerge in the recording.

What they'll do about the random and sometimes loud extraneous noises I don't know - for example military helicopters. I think they plan to record all the remaining performances and hopefully the helicopters and planes won't all come at the same time every night. They might have to patch other bits in from rehearsals (if there are any - which is perhaps doubtful now) or reconvene with some of the musicians to get it all sorted.

This opera certainly makes for a very good, though tad expensive, evening out. The first half is excellent. I suspect the second half is too, though as in some (almost all?) other operas one has to suspend disbelief - as the heroine takes an inordinately long time to die - or at least to decide to plunge the knife - by which time the attacking forces could have had the job done for her in a few seconds.

I don't know which company is going to release the recording.

If anyone feels like "investing" in the performances, there may still be tickets, though note it can be rather cold in the pavilion so take suitable precautions - vests, waistcoats, blankets etc. just in case.

Garsington Opera gives performances of great artistic quality in a setting of extraordinary natural beauty. Performances take place in the spectacular Opera Pavilion, which sits within the rolling landscape of the Chiltern Hills, less than an hour from London.

Comment

Working...
                                X