X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Tempting, but with the Mosaiques and Festetics already on my shelves, and the London Haydn Quartet's recording on order and due in 2 to 3 weeks, I think I will wait.
    Fair enough Bryn - I'll be interested to hear your thoughts as & when

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

I was keen to start collecting the London Haydn Quartet's recordings, but was a bit put off the other day when somebody here (it may have been Bryn) said that they were not going to be doing a whole cycle for Hyperion. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        I was keen to start collecting the London Haydn Quartet's recordings, but was a bit put off the other day when somebody here (it may have been Bryn) said that they were not going to be doing a whole cycle for Hyperion. Can anyone confirm that for me?
        Not me, MD. I think the post you are referring to appeared shortly before it was discovered that they were continuing on from the Op. 20 set to release Op. 33 next month. My understanding is that they intend recording all the quartets using editions they believe to represent Haydn's last thoughts regarding them.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Not me, MD. I think the post you are referring to appeared shortly before it was discovered that they were continuing on from the Op. 20 set to release Op. 33 next month. My understanding is that they intend recording all the quartets using editions they believe to represent Haydn's last thoughts regarding them.
          Thanks for the correction, Bryn and what happy news! I did buy the first release and very much liked what I heard, so shall now continue.

Comment

• amateur51

I assume that this is a new release ...

but I can find no details so far.

Don't forget her forthcoming appearance at Cadogan Hall

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-13, 15:16. Reason: link

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Don't forget her forthcoming appearance at Cadogan Hall
              No idea about the disc but blimey http://www.cadoganhall.com/event/an-...aendel-130705/

This will surely prompt an EGM of the "Fans-of-Ida" Subcommittee of The Forum, non?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                No idea about the disc but blimey http://www.cadoganhall.com/event/an-...aendel-130705/

This will surely prompt an EGM of the "Fans-of-Ida" Subcommittee of The Forum, non?
                Nary a flicker on the life-support system to date, Cali

P'raps they're keeping their macuillage dry or saving up for a cannister of Harmony

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Who can tell?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

Philippe Herreweghe: Mozart - The Last Symphonies

More than 100 million tracks available for unlimited streaming in high sound quality. Qobuz is also the worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res downloads.

A lovely transparency to these versions revealing lots of detail. Available on June 24th.
                    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      The two-CD set of Haydn String quartets op 33 on Analekta by the Eybler Quartet has received a warmly enthusiastic review in the May 2013 edition of International Record Review (by Mortimer H. Frank).

The members of the Eybler Quartet are also members of Tafelmusik and play on period intruments in an appropriate vibrato-lite style.

Has anyone taken the plunge and is prepared to offer an opinion? Otherwise I may need to be first
                      It's available to stream here: http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0774204984229

I have to say, not having any Haydn quartets, and not having heard any HIP versions (being unable to stream them), I was very taken with the clarity, sound balance and loveliness of tone on these versions.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        Philippe Herreweghe: Mozart - The Last Symphonies

More than 100 million tracks available for unlimited streaming in high sound quality. Qobuz is also the worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res downloads.

A lovely transparency to these versions revealing lots of detail. Available on June 24th.
                        If you are impatient like me (and are a bit light on HIPP Mozart), downloadable now from Qobuz - at a reduced price for the 24/44.1 version. "A lovely transparency" indeed - great sound and music-making that is sprightly but not hard-driven. Thanks for the tip-off, Mr T

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          If you are impatient like me (and are a bit light on HIPP Mozart), downloadable now from Qobuz - at a reduced price for the 24/44.1 version. "A lovely transparency" indeed - great sound and music-making that is sprightly but not hard-driven. Thanks for the tip-off, Mr T
                          Glad you like it, HD.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to stream it from Qobuz in the UK, where the account I set up in France still works. I wasn't expecting to be as drawn into another set of HIP Mozart symphonies as I was upon listening last night. I love Pinnock's series on Archiv but find Mackerras's later take with the SCO on Linn too hard-driven. These by Herreweghe & Co. strike a perfect balance and the sound is top-notch.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Janet Baker is 80 in August. A big EMI Box in the offing. Details here but cheaper elsewhere. Some unavoidable duplication but I'm sure I will succumb.

The great lady was invited to Salzburg by Karajan but turned him down because of a prior booking. He never called her again. Whose loss?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Janet Baker is 80 in August. A big EMI Box in the offing. Details here but cheaper elsewhere. Some unavoidable duplication but I'm sure I will succumb.

The great lady was invited to Salzburg by Karajan but turned him down because of a prior booking. He never called her again. Whose loss?
                              His every time, I'd say - fool!

Reading through the contents I was left wondering when there is going to be a collection of recordings by Geoffrey Parsons, surely one of the great accompanists and due for some celebration too.
                              Last edited by Guest; 29-05-13, 11:50. Reason: Parsons plea

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

Salzburg's.

Comment

Working...
                                X