X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julien Sorel

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    We must rise to the challenges of free-market capitalism!
    You mean the challenge to buy something over and over again with some bits added on and in different packaging?

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
      You mean the challenge to buy something over and over again with some bits added on and in different packaging?

indeed ...........it's the buying that counts not what's inside

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
        I have been enjoying Quartetto Prometeo's new Sciarrino CD.

I have yet to listen to their also new Scodanibbio issue (ECM) but hope to do so today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-8535171.html
        <lustemoticon>

The KAIROS disc is a bit short-measured (46.5 mins!): couldn't they have added another of Sciarrino's S4tets?! Still unmissable, however.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          The VPO Mahler 9 is on EMI and DLvdE on Decca. While out of copyright in Europe, for instance, these still belong to the copyright holders in the US, for instance.

This new Sony box has some NYP(S)O recordings, for instance Mahler 5 in mono.
          Trying to understand copyright gets weirder. I tried to access the score of Sibelius 5 yesterday from IMSLP, and found that it is still in copyright in the EU (including the UK), in the public domain in Canada, and probably in the public domain in the USA. I thought the US and UK rules had converged, with both now adopting (unfortunately) a 70 year period for copyright, but perhaps in the US this starts from the date of publication, while in the UK it is from the date of death of the composer/artist(s). Also, I'm not sure if the rules are different for scores and recordings. They may be.

At one point the VPO Mahler 9 was on several different labels, including Naxos.
          The separate Mahler symphony box has two different versions of symphony 1, and they are worth hearing - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88691920102

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            ... The separate Mahler symphony box has two different versions of symphony 1, and they are worth hearing - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88691920102
            Having bought the Sony OJ box of Walter's Mahler, Bruckner and Wagner some time back, I find it hard to justify paying even the lowest Amazon marketplace price for just disc 7 of the newer Mahler only box. I will keep my eyes open for a single disc issue or download of the recordings on that disc.

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

At one point the VPO Mahler 9 was on several different labels, including Naxos.
              Naxos Historical is not distributed in the US. The only legal way of buying the VPO Walter Mahler 9 in the US is to buy the EMI transfer. However, Amazon Canada has many US customers, and neither is it difficult to download that recording from otherwise legitimate sources.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Naxos Historical is not distributed in the US. The only legal way of buying the VPO Walter Mahler 9 in the US is to buy the EMI transfer. However, Amazon Canada has many US customers, and neither is it difficult to download that recording from otherwise legitimate sources.
                Does that mean that someone in the US who orders a non EMI version from outside that country and imports it is breaking the laws of the USA by importing such?

Arms in and out maybe, but CDs!

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

Does that mean that someone in the US who orders a non EMI version from outside that country and imports it is breaking the laws of the USA by importing such?

Arms in and out maybe, but CDs!
                  I guess it is against the law. The law applies to New York and hasn't been tested in other states to my knowledge. New York appears to be the place to launch suits if you're a copyright holder, the most recent Capitol vs. ReDigi. ReDigi sells secondhand software including music files, and the NY judge opined that in uploading to ReDigi's server, two copies of a file exist at the same time and however temporary that is, it has been pronounced illegal.

And now, over to Mr Bumble for his reaction......

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

And now, over to Mr Bumble for his reaction......

... well, I've called maître Caliban many things over the years - but I wd never have dared...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... well, I've called maître Caliban many things over the years - but I wd never have dared...
                      Décidément....

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Come one, come all.... It's "Take a Pop at Cali" Day!!

I'll take y'all on!!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• akiralx
                        • Oct 2011

Without wishing to slaughter a sacred cow, I'll be provocative and say the Walter VPO M9 is only of documentary interest, to hear a genuine Mahler acolyte conducting the work. As a recording to listen to M9 it is pretty woeful, as the conductor acknowledged when expressing his frustration that the recording had even been made and released. He much preferred his later recording where his insights are better realised. The VPO playing really veers between acceptable and abysmal, and it unfortunately can't hold a candle to many M9 interpretations released since then.

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Your right Dave 2002, Hilary Hann's recording of the Schoenberg Violin Concerto is sublime, what a pity it's not in the repertory more often live

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                            Without wishing to slaughter a sacred cow, I'll be provocative and say the Walter VPO M9 is only of documentary interest, to hear a genuine Mahler acolyte conducting the work. As a recording to listen to M9 it is pretty woeful, as the conductor acknowledged when expressing his frustration that the recording had even been made and released. He much preferred his later recording where his insights are better realised. The VPO playing really veers between acceptable and abysmal, and it unfortunately can't hold a candle to many M9 interpretations released since then.
                            The other Walter Mahler 9 I've heard was with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra (is that correct?) It didn't seem anything special to me - the 1938 recording at least has a sense of, terrible, occasion. The two indispensable historic (which I guess they now are) performances for me are Karel Ančerl conducting the Czech Philharmonic and Bruno Maderna conducting the BBCSO. With the latter you have the insights of a great composer-conductor into the music of another great composer-conductor. Needn't be extraordinary, but it is here.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                              Completely agree. The playing is terrible.

Also agree with JS about Maderna - well worth seeking out. VERY cheap to download for folk with an emusic subscription

Comment

Working...
                              X