X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    If you click on the right hand image and enlarge it, you can make out the contents list. There appear to be 39 CD's and if it is one of those LB sized boxes I shall be very annoyed as they are impossible to store properly. Won't deter me from buying though.
    Not on my iPad I'm afraid. Maybe if I had one of those Retina thingies!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Bruno Walter The Edition looks like a repackaging of the 39 CD boxed set issued in Asia:

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

The next recording in the Shostakovich cycle with the RLPO & Petrenko is out in a couple of weeks time

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Has anyone got the new Schoenberg recording with Janine Jansen and what do you think?, Thanks

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
            Has anyone got the new Schoenberg recording with Janine Jansen and what do you think?, Thanks
            Sorry! Which "new Schoenberg recording" is this?! I must've missed it!

Any information gratefully accepted.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Oh. Do you mean this:

... for one bright, blessed moment, I thought she might have recorded the Violin Concerto and/or the Phantasy

Verklaerte Nacht is a lovely work, and the Schubert Quintet a great one, but I have many recordings of both, and I'm suspicious of CD covers that have a single artist's name in larger print than the composer's/s': and in chamber music, larger than her colleagues'. Not Ms Jansen's fault; but even so ...

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Schubert: String Quartet / Schoenberg: Verklarte Nacht New Recording On Decca with Janine Jansen Ferneyhoughgeliebte

Hope That Helps

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Blimey if she recorded the Violin Concerto that would be a "must have"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

I thought Hilary Hahn had already swept the board!

Comment

• AmpH
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I'm looking forward to this as I don't think I have any of these recordings: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Claudio-Abba...ll_full#disc_1
                        Think I'll have this as well.

Comment

• ostuni
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Verklaerte Nacht is a lovely work, and the Schubert Quintet a great one, but I have many recordings of both, and I'm suspicious of CD covers that have a single artist's name in larger print than the composer's/s': and in chamber music, larger than her colleagues'. Not Ms Jansen's fault; but even so ...
                          I heard a bit of VN on CD review last week, and liked what I heard. I've got plenty of Schubert Quintets, but not many VNs, so downloaded the mp3s of the latter, and listened last night. I thought it was excellent - superbly played all round (especially the violas which, given who they are, isn't surprising...). You needn't worry that the balance favours violin 1 - if anything, I thought JJ was a little over-reticent in places - certainly compared with the Hollywood 4tet's version, which is the only other chamber version I've listened to much.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                            I heard a bit of VN on CD review last week, and liked what I heard. I've got plenty of Schubert Quintets, but not many VNs, so downloaded the mp3s of the latter, and listened last night. I thought it was excellent - superbly played all round (especially the violas which, given who they are, isn't surprising...). You needn't worry that the balance favours violin 1 - if anything, I thought JJ was a little over-reticent in places - certainly compared with the Hollywood 4tet's version, which is the only other chamber version I've listened to much.

The Hollywood 4tet+ is a pretty good version to have.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Bruno Walter The Edition looks like a repackaging of the 39 CD boxed set issued in Asia:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/bruno-walt...0-en/info.html
                              Looks like a great set for anyone who doesn't have much Walter already, though as with some other sets the side breaks look inconvenient. Not such a problem these days, but ...

I don't have the rehearsal sections. I'm not sure how much of the Linz Symphony rehearsal was recorded. There seem to be several versions of the rehearsal of this symphony in the collections [not just one, as I perhaps erroneously wrote at first]. The contents of discs 25 and 26 are a little confusing. Is CD 26 only a rehearsal disc?

[Talking of rehearsal discs, is Casal's rehearsal of Bach Brandenburgs still available - I'd like that - great fun! Particularly in the opening of number 2.]

For me, missing discs (CDs) are 5 (part) 8 (part) 9 10 11 13 14 15 16 24 28 29 30 31 35 36 37 and 38 so that makes about 50% duplication (18/39). I also have a few more on LPs, and have heard most, but not all, of the recordings in the box. Many can be heard at places like Spotify and Napster. The fairly recent Walter Mahler collection - http://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Walter-C.../dp/B006XOBFTM - has some duplicated symphonies - with different orchestras.

I held off the Mozart set - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruno-Walter.../dp/B0056K4VRM - though have the LPs of 35-41 - with the exception of the forementioned rehearsal disc. Interesting to note the comments re sound quality - though there seems to be some divergence of opinion about that. Maybe there really are different transfers used in the various reincarnations.

I'm still looking for Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - the VPO version which we had on 78s - used to love that.

I have heard that the SACD versions of some of the performances improve the SQ very considerably, but unfortunately these were only available for a short while - and some were SACD only (i.e not hybrid SACD/CD). Perhaps a pity that Sony haven't included some other recordings as well, such as the VPO Mahler 9, and the Ferrier Das Lied von der Erde, and I think some of Walter's work exists in versions by the NYPO (also Sony) rather than the CSO which might be of interest - as some other companies have done recently, but maybe that would require agreement with other companies. However, other companies have seemed to achieve that recently with other issues e.g Decca's Verdi box.
                              Last edited by Dave2002; 14-04-13, 07:27.

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                ...... Perhaps a pity that Sony haven't included some other recordings as well, such as the VPO Mahler 9, and the Ferrier Das Lied von der Erde, and I think some of Walter's work exists in versions by the NYPO (also Sony) rather than the CSO which might be of interest - as some other companies have done recently, but maybe that would require agreement with other companies. However, other companies have seemed to achieve that recently with other issues e.g Decca's Verdi box.
                                The VPO Mahler 9 is on EMI and DLvdE on Decca. While out of copyright in Europe, for instance, these still belong to the copyright holders in the US, for instance. So, for an international release, including these is not possible without paying the copyright holders their share if, in the first place, they were to give their permission. This seems to me unlikely, as those companies still have those recordings in their catalogues.

This new Sony box has some NYP(S)O recordings, for instance Mahler 5 in mono.

Comment

Working...
                                X