X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
    I'd like to get the Solo Piano Version of Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition". I notice theres a new version just come out of Alice Sara Ott doing this piece, does anyone have that recording and if so whats it like? Does anybody have any recommendation's of the piece I could check out otherwise. I've seen the Ravel & Henry Wood Arrangements of the work and saw Emerson Lake & Palmer do it years ago. Would like to get the solo piano version, but dont know which one to get hold of, Thanks Everyone
    In the Times I think Osborne got the thumbs up and Ott the thumbs down .

My favourite is Richter in his 1958 Sofia recital . The problem is he sounds like he is playing in a school hall on the upright . The performance , however, is absolutely stupendous . The recital also includes a performance of Chopin 's Etude Op10 no 3 that moves me to tears whenever I hear it .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      My favourite is Richter in his 1958 Sofia recital . The problem is he sounds like he is playing in a school hall on the upright . The performance , however, is absolutely stupendous .
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

OK Thanks everyone thats great, sounds like Richter is the one

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          In the Times I think Osborne got the thumbs up and Ott the thumbs down .

My favourite is Richter in his 1958 Sofia recital . The problem is he sounds like he is playing in a school hall on the upright . The performance , however, is absolutely stupendous . The recital also includes a performance of Chopin 's Etude Op10 no 3 that moves me to tears whenever I hear it .
          The other problem with that otherwise stupendous recital is that he sounds like he is playing in a T.B. Sanitarium. Even wartime Germans on Furtwangler recordings sounded far less bronchial

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            The other problem with that otherwise stupendous recital is that he sounds like he is playing in a T.B. Sanitarium. Even wartime Germans on Furtwangler recordings sounded far less bronchial
            There is a critic (also a composer) who writes for Fanfare named David Deboors Canfield. He has made a specialty of collecting Piano versions of Pictures. I suggest googling his writing or checking a Fanfare Archive.

Comment

• akiralx
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
              I'd like to get the Solo Piano Version of Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition". I notice theres a new version just come out of Alice Sara Ott doing this piece, does anyone have that recording and if so whats it like? Does anybody have any recommendation's of the piece I could check out otherwise.
              The Osborne sounded better than the Ott to me - and Ott's performance of the coupled Schubert Sonata D850 is not good, with a very strange non legato handling of the beautiful Con Moto slow movement.

The Richter/Sofia 1958 is indeed very good (but isn't there a contemporaneous recital in better sound?) but if you want a more modern recording Osborne, Kissin and others should be investigated.

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for highlighting this release, Barbi -how amazing it will be (I hope) to listen to Barbirolli, Baumann and Gerald English in Britten's Serenade - plus a 'live' Sibelius symphony no 2 and Schubert sympony no 4 - riches indeed

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2007

I bought these two:

Both are superb!
                  Best regards,
                  Jonathan

Comment

• Andrew Preview
                    • May 2011

Anyone tried the new Schubert D960 recording from Pires? One of my favourite piano sonatas...
                    "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Preview View Post
                      Anyone tried the new Schubert D960 recording from Pires? One of my favourite piano sonatas...
                      And one of my favourite pianists - but I didn't know of it. Promising combination.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• akiralx
                        • Oct 2011

I listened to the opening of the coupled D845 and it sounded awfully lumpy, compared to Brendel, my favourite. Pity as I like this pianist, but not sure I need another D960.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Here's another mouth-watering LPO recording of a concert I attended on October 30 1983: http://shop.lpo.org.uk/shop/Recordin...?10215,0,0,0,0
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Here's another mouth-watering LPO recording of a concert I attended on October 30 1983: http://shop.lpo.org.uk/shop/Recordin...?10215,0,0,0,0
                            Many thanks Petrushka

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Yes. I bought it on holiday in Salzburg before it was released here. I've really enjoyed it and a friend who knows a lot more about piano music than me really loved it. Superb recording too.

Comment

Working...
                              X