• Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 (ed. Nowak) Mvts 1 -3 Zubin Mehta

[CD 8]: Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 (ed. Nowak) Mvt 4 Zubin Mehta
    Noooooooooooooooo!

I once had the misfortune to hear Mehta do Bruckner 8 with the Israel PO and it was truly awful.

And how come he needs 2 CDs for the shorter Novak version? (I know Celi does, but that's a different situation!)

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

82'43" for Maestro Meter (that's how it appeared in google translate) in Bruckner 8 so stretching it a bit for a single CD. I had his 1970s LAPO recording on vinyl which wasn't bad but, yes, not a conductor I would be rushing to hear these days in Bruckner (I was going to say or in pretty much anything else but that seems a bit hard).

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        Contents of the box - apologies for the length - below. Some already released on RCO Live, some familiar from the Concertgebouw's Internet Radio stream. Info came via Tower Records in Japan so I still have no idea when it's going to be released in the UKi

Thanks HD!

Comment

• martin_opera

Thought I was familiar with most Four Last Songs recordings but this is a new one to me. I have Previn with Arleen Auger and it's one of my personal favourites, but Rothernberger?? My inability to find the time or will to sign up for Gramophone on-line means I can't find any reviews on line. Would be grateful for views if anyone has heard it?

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
            Thought I was familiar with most Four Last Songs recordings but this is a new one to me. I have Previn with Arleen Auger and it's one of my personal favourites, but Rothernberger?? My inability to find the time or will to sign up for Gramophone on-line means I can't find any reviews on line. Would be grateful for views if anyone has heard it?
            Have a listen to this:

Anneliese Rothenberger, SopranRichard Strauss [1864-1949]Orchesterlieder I. Freundliche VisionII. ZueignungIII. MorgenIV. Meinem KindeV. BefreitAndré Previn,...

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              Great thanks PJPJ - always forget You Tube for this sort of thing and am struck immediately by the richness of a voice I usually associate with Sophie and Zdenka and dismiss as too light for heavier Strauss. Quite wrong. Have tracked down Im Abendrot and Beim Schlafengehen and on these bases will definitely be ordering the CD. Lovely to hear these words enunciated in perfect German but without the Schwarkopf strangulation and inflections. Lovely performances. Surely these must have been under-praised in their time as I have never seen these on an EMI release before.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

The price may well come down, too - this series is £8.50 at Presto, for example.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  Yes indeed — Prélude à l’après midi d’un faune sounding absolutely wonderful. A must-have, this CD.
                  I bought this yesterday in Foyles and, somewhat to my surprise as I found their earlier discs of Ravel and Berlioz to be a bit underwhelming (although their Poulenc was very good), this is a joy. Immerseel's tempi are on the spacious side but that allows the music to unfold and develop in a way which I find most beguiling. The timbre of the orchestra, heard to great effect in a warm, spacious and clear recording (Bruges Concert Hall), reveals details in the music which are often lost with modern orchestras. Interesting also to hear Rondes de Printemps, then Gigues and finally Iberia in the Images.

Now for another listen to the Uchida/Cleveland Mozart on which I think the jury may still be out. I shouldn't have listened to it at the end of a long and tiring day when it was in danger of being binned as mannered and irritating.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

I think this was well reviewed in IRR but a big thumbs up from me too for an ICA Classics CD of the Schumann Piano Concerto with Annie Fischer and Keilberth conducting . The slow movement is mesmerisingly beautiful and excellent wind playing too. The start of the finale is a bit slow for my liking but I like the way it builds inexorably .

What a great pianist she was - never showy always unfailingly musical from first note to last !

PS The Eroica variations are marvellous too not played Op 109 yet .
                    Last edited by Barbirollians; 23-11-12, 17:24.

Comment

• Andrew Preview
                      • May 2011

Lisa Batiashvili has recorded Brahms's violin concerto with the Dresden Staatskapelle conducted by Christian Thielemann. It's due out at the beginning of January. Batiashvili is a fine player, and it's always good to hear the Dresden Orchestra. But I'm a bit wary of Thielemann. I hope he keeps his interventionist instincts in check.
                      "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

The Klemperer Legacy: Concertos

Release date: 7 Januart 2013. Available at Presto as a "pre-order" for £17.60

Full tracklisting here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/4043482

Klemperer: Mozart - Symphonies, Serenades, Divertimenti

Full tracklisting here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/4043612

Comment

• amateur51

First post of 2013 on this thread!

And what a cracker - late 'live' Boult in fourth symphonic thoughts of Brahms and Mendelssohn, both in stereo

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            First post of 2013 on this thread!

And what a cracker - late 'live' Boult in fourth symphonic thoughts of Brahms and Mendelssohn, both in stereo

ICA Classics is really turning out to be a fine label. This, I imagine, is quite a coup, no?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I'd have to add this, which I've been raving about on another thread - Mozart Piano Concertos nos. 21 and 22 by Christian Ihle Hadland with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra under Arvid Engegård

NB in that link, they list the cadenzas incorrectly: it's in No 22 that the 1966 Britten cadenzas are played... in No 21, the pianist plays his own.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                                The Klemperer Legacy: Concertos

Release date: 7 Januart 2013. Available at Presto as a "pre-order" for £17.60

Full tracklisting here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/4043482

Klemperer: Mozart - Symphonies, Serenades, Divertimenti

Full tracklisting here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/4043612
                                Do you know when the Mahler comes out, and what it will contain?

Comment

Working...
                                X