X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
    A quite wonderful survey imho of Nielsen's 6 symphonies by the Danish National Symphony under Fabio Luisi
    I'm tempted to agree listening to the 1st. The opening chords positive leap out of the speakers and the whole performance is characterised by immense sense of drive and purpose, clearly a young man on a mission. The recording is absolutely sumptious, with every detail clear but in a believable acoustic. Very special indeed.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

All of John Eliot Gardiner's Erato/Warner recordings brought together in a 64 CD box for just under 140 euros. Can't find it on Amazon UK. This is quite a bargain, though I already have most of them.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        All of John Eliot Gardiner's Erato/Warner recordings brought together in a 64 CD box for just under 140 euros. Can't find it on Amazon UK. This is quite a bargain, though I already have most of them.

https://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Recor...al%2C93&sr=1-1
        some £128 here -

too many duplicates for me...

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          That Amazon listing is wrong. If you click on the £128 link it leads to a new price of £152.58 + £1.26 p&p.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            That Amazon listing is wrong. If you click on the £128 link it leads to a new price of £152.58 + £1.26 p&p.
            ... irritatingly this often happens on amazon listings - the price presented on the first page is then not to be found when you click on it.

In this case anyway I think I have all of those Gardiner recordings that I want

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

... irritatingly this often happens on amazon listings - the price presented on the first page is then not to be found when you click on it.

In this case anyway I think I have all of those Gardiner recordings that I want

Same here. The highlights for me are the Campra Requiem, Rameau's 'Les Boréades', Leclair's 'Scylla et Glaucus' and Handel's 'L'Allegro, Il moderato ed Il Penseroso'. I don't think the latter has ever been bettered.
              I also have a fondness for the Massenet 'Scènes pour orchestre'.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Same here. The highlights for me are the Campra Requiem, Rameau's 'Les Boréades', Leclair's 'Scylla et Glaucus' and Handel's 'L'Allegro, Il moderato ed Il Penseroso'. I don't think the latter has ever been bettered.
                I only know the pittoresques set, but have just lined up the whole CD for later.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

I don't know the Massenet : perhaps I should investigate...

Chabrier's L'étoile is great fun too - highly recommendable

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I only know the pittoresques set, but have just lined up the whole CD for later.
                  two CDs, I think...

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Which version do you have? The JEG set ran to a 2 disc set.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Which version do you have? The JEG set ran to a 2 disc set.
                      I searched for the JEG version to stream later: it's an Apex incarnation with a fair few suites so possibly a 2CD set.

I forget now how I got to know the Scènes pittoresques: it was late 1970s/early 1980s and would have been on LP when I lived in Canada. My memory is telling me they were a filler but I really can't remember to what if that's the case. I can't imagine buying them in their own right but I DO remember finding them very attractive.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

I searched for the JEG version to stream later: it's an Apex incarnation with a fair few suites so possibly a 2CD set.

I forget now how I got to know the Scènes pittoresques: it was late 1970s/early 1980s and would have been on LP when I lived in Canada. My memory is telling me they were a filler but I really can't remember to what if that's the case. I can't imagine buying them in their own right but I DO remember finding them very attractive.

... this one, I imagine -

(I've just ordered a copy... )

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Indeed, though only the front cover appeared in my search (and you can't zoom in on it!).

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

That's the recording...I had it in an even earlier Erato incarnation, their short-lived Ultima series. But no matter, it's a delightful set.

Comment

• Mandryka
                              • Feb 2021

Cappella Pratensis, Obrecht, Missa Maria Zart

Listen to unlimited or download Missa Maria zart by Cappella Pratensis in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

• RichardB
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                                Cappella Pratensis, Obrecht, Missa Maria Zart
                                A strange choice, given its expansiveness, for someone with a stated distaste for long stretches of music - that Mass is considerably longer than Rameau's Pigmalion... still, thanks for flagging it up, I look forward to hearing that, being a strong admirer of the Cappella Pratensis way of doing things.

Comment

Working...
                                X