X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Has anyone here checked out the new Vanska Mahler 9 on BIS yet? I see it is on promotion on eClassical in various download formats, including surround, for a little under £10. No sign of it on QOBUZ as yet, but it was only released on eClassical today.

https://www.eclassical.com/conductor...phony-no9.html
    Not waiting till May for the vinyl then Bryn ?

Not heard any of this series, any suggestions for the pick of them ?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Not waiting till May for the vinyl then Bryn ?

Not heard any of this series, any suggestions for the pick of them ?
      An impressive Mahler 10 would be my pick, Sainty.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        An impressive Mahler 10 would be my pick, Sainty.
        Thanks Alison, I was sort of hoping that might be a suggestion. Downloaded ready for a listen later.

Turns out the vinyl doesn’t exist, the Amazon link is to a Solti recording !!
        Amazon are guilty of this sort of thing way too often.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Thanks Alison, I was sort of hoping that might be a suggestion. Downloaded ready for a listen later.

Turns out the vinyl doesn’t exist, the Amazon link is to a Solti recording !!
          Amazon are guilty of this sort of thing way too often.
          That's good news. If the vinyl did exist it would have destroyed my respect for Robert von Bahr.

Comment

• TBuckley

An attractive looking disc of Piano Concertos & other Orchestral works by Grazyna Bacewicz:

Bacewicz: Concertos for 1 & 2 Pianos, Overture & Music for Strings, Trumpets & Percussion. Ondine: ODE1427-2. Buy CD or download online. Peter Jablonski and Elisabeth Brauß (piano), Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Nicholas Collon

Digital release 5/5/23. As is becoming customary the poor CD buying plebs will have to wait longer.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post
              An attractive looking disc of Piano Concertos & other Orchestral works by Grazyna Bacewicz:

Bacewicz: Concertos for 1 & 2 Pianos, Overture & Music for Strings, Trumpets & Percussion. Ondine: ODE1427-2. Buy CD or download online. Peter Jablonski and Elisabeth Brauß (piano), Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Nicholas Collon

Digital release 5/5/23. As is becoming customary the poor CD buying plebs will have to wait longer.
              I would be interested to hear the commercial logic for this. Presumably discs have been pressed for reviewers before release , so why mess customers about with separate release date ? It light make sense if those paying for cheaper formats had to wait, but even then, it is hard to see the commercial benefit.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

The new Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony from John Wilson and the Sinfonia of London sounds like a cracker, judging by the second movement played yesterday morning Great balance of impetus and expression. Set up for a full listen asap
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  The BPO Petrenko set of Shostakovich (S8, S9, S10) gets a glowing review in today's Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...1eb56d525061cc
                  Is there a more attractive price than on Presto?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Is there a more attractive price than on Presto?
                    Don't know about that, but I found the S8 curiously uninvolving (as in it didn't grab my attention) when I streamed it.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Don't know about that, but I found the S8 curiously uninvolving (as in it didn't grab my attention) when I streamed it.
                      Listening to the BluRay - quite loud - I certainly haven’t found it to be uninvolving. Probably a better way of hearing it than streaming, good as that might be. It’s a different approach to, say, Kondrashin (my only recording of the work for a good number of years) or Mravinsky. I’m not sure that cerebral is quite the right word for DSCH but KP’s thoughtful approach has made me listen with fresh ears, if that doesn’t seem all a bit woolly. I still think that it’s the best DSCH I’ve heard in quite some time. I thought that Andris Nelsons was pretty good but KP strikes me as even better. Stunning orchestral playing.

As to Bryan’s question about the price, I think that the answer is sadly not. It’s possible that 7 Digital may in time offer keenly priced downloads.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Listening to the BluRay - quite loud - I certainly haven’t found it to be uninvolving. Probably a better way of hearing it than streaming, good as that might be. It’s a different approach to, say, Kondrashin (my only recording of the work for a good number of years) or Mravinsky. I’m not sure that cerebral is quite the right word for DSCH but KP’s thoughtful approach has made me listen with fresh ears, if that doesn’t seem all a bit woolly. I still think that it’s the best DSCH I’ve heard in quite some time. I thought that Andris Nelsons was pretty good but KP strikes me as even better. Stunning orchestral playing.

As to Bryan’s question about the price, I think that the answer is sadly not. It’s possible that 7 Digital may in time offer keenly priced downloads.
                        Maybe tame is a better word. I find much of DSCH's work pretty harrowing to listen to, as I'm sure others do, but found this a bit cursory/superficial in that regard. Certainly stunning playing, but maybe that was part of the problem. Too polite?
                        But I'll give it another go.
                        It was the only one the three I could find on Deezer.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Hmm ... the question is an interesting one of whether Shostakovich's symphonies need to be played à la Kondrashin/Mravinsky - sort of 'in your face' - or whether there is something to be gained by a more reflective approach which, in comparison with the, admittedly hors concours Mravinsky, may well sound superficial (not a word I personally would use to describe KP's approach to all three symphonies) if by superficial one means, "not Russian of the Soviet era". The 8th is not short of fine recordings, notably on my shelves Haitink and Wigglesworth - and, more recently, Sladkovsky and the Taterstan Orchestra, as well as Nelsons. And does it have be harrowing to be, forgive the cliché, "meaningful"? I don't think so as I feel that DSCH's music has a life beyond what I would see as a bit of a straightjacket if it is forever to be characterised as, say, "Misery and Suffering Music".

I'm tempted to add - as m'lud might do - "What is this thing called 'Deezer'?".
                          Last edited by HighlandDougie; 02-04-23, 18:20.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            Hmm ... the question of whether Shostakovich's symphonies need to be played à la Kondrashin/Mravinsky - sort of 'in your face' - or whether there is something to be gained by a more reflective approach which, in comparison with the, admittedly, hors concours Mravinsky may well sound superficial (not a word I personally would use to describe KP's approach to all three symphonies) if by superficial one means, "not Russian of the Soviet era". The 8th is not short of fine recordings, notably on my shelves Haitink and Wigglesworth - and, more recently, Sladkovsky and the Taterstan Orchestra, as well as Nelsons. And does it have be harrowing to be, forgive the cliché, "meaningful"? I don't think so as I feel that DSCH's music has a life beyond what I would see as a bit of a straightjacket if it is forever to be characterised as, say, "Misery and Suffering Music".

I'm tempted to add - as m'lud might do - "What is this thing called 'Deezer'?".
                            According to Google Play:

Deezer is a music streaming platform that enables you to match The Power of Music to your lifestyle and identity.

Enjoy a massive music catalog that has everything and more with in-built algorithms that learn what you like and recommend more of it.
                            The Deezer music player is your companion across all devices, providing access to the artists, songs and communities that speak to you.

It's the search engine I use with my Sonos system: I'm not sure if Sonos supports anything else.

Sonos' blurb is even worse:

Sonos is the wireless home sound system that fills as many rooms as you want with great-sounding music, movies and TV. Our full range of music and home cinema speakers all set up easily. Stream via WiFi. Play whatever you're craving. And amp up every moment with intense, pulse-pounding sound.

So now you know!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

And amp up every moment with intense, pulse-pounding sound.

So now you know!
                              Yo! Definitely with DSCH symphonies. And, as you say, now I know. Doesn't greatly tempt me to change from Tidal and Qobuz (the two streaming services supported by my Aurender NAS). Anyway, crank up the volume on the DSCH 8th - and annoy TOH and the neighbours

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a New Release but I’ve just taken delivery of the DECCA 13 cd set of the Allegri Quartet’s complete recordings for Argo. Lots of Schubert including the Quintet with Moray Welsh. There’s also a first cd release of Quartets by Forbes, Liz Maconchy, Johnson and Peter Sculthorpe.
                                Last edited by pastoralguy; 02-04-23, 20:08. Reason: Bloody predictive text!!

Comment

Working...
                                X