X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Re the Haitink set. All outlets I've checked are now agreed on March 10 so...

I've never known so many postponements of a release date before (eight, I think) and it's been incredibly frustrating. Presto had the best price I could find and a small voucher decreased it a bit more. I ordered it in October and Presto took the money then so when it finally arrives it will feel like I've had it for nothing.

With the Abbado set coming out so closely I'm rather glad that Presto did take the money as it helps the cash flow.
    I received an email today from Presto confirming that (at long last) the Haitink box has been packaged and will be dispatched tomorrow!
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
      I received an email today from Presto confirming that (at long last) the Haitink box has been packaged and will be dispatched tomorrow!
      Not had an e-mail from Presto yet but hopefully soon. I ordered mine on October 28 and I'll let out a loud Hallelujah when it finally arrives.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Robert Levin and the AAM 'resume' their survey of the Mozart piano concertos. After a twenty year gap ...

https://aam.co.uk/product/mozart-pia...s-levin-vol-9/

"This release marks the renewal of a landmark project begun in 1993 on the Decca label to record Mozart’s entire works for keyboard. It will be followed by the four final albums of the series later in 2023 and 2024"

I picked up their cd of Mozart’s piano concertos 5, 14 & 16 today in Glasgow for a single pound today. On my pile to listen to tonite.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Skalkottians rejoice!

Skalkottas: Two Concertos
          George Zacharias, Alexandros Koustas, London Philharmonic Orchestra and Martyn Brabbins
          • Released on 03/03/2023 by BIS
          • SACD//24/96

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

The Ébène quartet Mozart quintets is out - a couple of quintets. Listened last night but wasn’t in the mood.

Bobby Mitchell has released a Naxos CD of piano pieces by Rzewski. I haven’t heard it yet but the performances of his on YouTube are rather good I think.
            Last edited by Mandryka; 18-03-23, 12:39.

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

Heartened to discover that the ongoing Naxos Liszt series is continuing with another CD by the phenomenally talented pianist Goran Filipec - this time playing Schubert transcriptions (not sure which ones, that information wasn't yet available). Hopefully it will be out soon!
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                I felt a bit similarly about the Isabelle Faust Stravinsky Violin Concerto. I'm sure I've never heard a better recording of this piece, which isn't as well known as I think it ought to be.. Also, it's nice to have another recording of the Three Pieces for string quartet and the other little pieces on the CD. But one movement from Apollo to open the programme? Especially when the whole disc is only 44 minutes long - why not the whole ballet?
                Edward Seckerson in April's Gramophone would agree.
                The opening sentence in his review is:
                So this is the Stravinsky Violin Concerto I have so often seen on the page but rarely heard in performance.

I wish I could wholeheartedly agree, but I have one minor niggle.
                The solo trumpet in the first movement (figure 21 in the score) sounds to me more like it's escaped from Scènes de ballet (The Pas de deux) than playing with the bright clean detached sound I crave. The passage is admittedly marked cant. espress., but these few bars just don't sound right to me.

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  Heartened to discover that the ongoing Naxos Liszt series is continuing with another CD by the phenomenally talented pianist Goran Filipec - this time playing Schubert transcriptions (not sure which ones, that information wasn't yet available). Hopefully it will be out soon!
                  Tracks listed here now: https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.574095

Comment

• RichardB
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    The solo trumpet in the first movement (figure 21 in the score) sounds to me more like it's escaped from Scènes de ballet (The Pas de deux) than playing with the bright clean detached sound I crave. The passage is admittedly marked cant. espress., but these few bars just don't sound right to me.
                    I know how these little details can cast a shadow over a whole recorded performance! - although this particular moment as performed doesn't disturb me, I think it adds a different perspective on the music.

Comment

• Jonathan
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                      Many thanks for that!
                      Best regards,
                      Jonathan

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        I'd suggest using the Co-Ax output from the player into a box like that below:

and then straightforward RCA interconnects (L/R) from this kind of converter into the back of your amp. I rather regret this kind of lash-up (which I use between my laptop and the pre-amp) but, as connectivity becomes ever more out of synch as we all get older, it's difficult to avoid. Anyway, it works for me.
                        I have no direct experience of this but an alterative approach might be this sort of HDMI to analogue converter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSWL-Conver...s%2C251&sr=8-4

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                          . . . I felt a bit similarly about the Isabelle Faust Stravinsky Violin Concerto. I'm sure I've never heard a better recording of this piece, which isn't as well known as I think it ought to be.. Also, it's nice to have another recording of the Three Pieces for string quartet and the other little pieces on the CD. But one movement from Apollo to open the programme? Especially when the whole disc is only 44 minutes long - why not the whole ballet?

Streamed, the paucity of duration of the CD version becomes irrelevant.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

This is due out soon and promises to be thrilling stuff - extracts from Telemann orchestral suites with an Eastern European flavour as well as traditional dances from old manuscripts. A cymbalum is also in the mix of the players.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... the final instalment of the London Haydn Quartet's magnificent traversal -

but cheaper from presto -

Haydn: String Quartets Op. 42, 77 & Seven Last Words. Hyperion: CDA68410. Buy 2 CDs or download online. The London Haydn Quartet

available 7 April

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks for that, Vints... great to know the series has finally been completed!

Comment

Working...
                                X